Hands-On With CarPlay in iOS 13: Everything That's New

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

Along with many new features for the iPhone and the iPad, iOS 13 brings updates to CarPlay, overhauling the interface for the first time in years and adding useful new functionality.

In our latest YouTube video, we went hands-on with CarPlay in iOS 13 to give MacRumors readers an idea of what's new with Apple's in-car platform.

CarPlay in iOS 13 has a redesigned and revamped Home screen with new table views, rounded corners, and an updated Home button that swaps between a dashboard icon and an app row icon depending on what app you're using.

The new tile-like user interface displays the Maps app, Shortcuts, Siri suggestions, Music Now Playing interface, and upcoming Calendar events all at a glance, which is convenient. Tapping on any of the tiles opens up the relevant app. You can, of course, still access the standard icon list from previous versions of CarPlay with a swipe.

In the new Calendar app, you can see all of your upcoming events for the day, which is useful for when you get in the car in the morning. If a calendar event has a location associated with it, you can tap on the event and get directions to where you need to go.

Maps has an updated look and feel, and it takes advantage of all of the features in iOS 13. In supported areas, there's better detail for roads, buildings, parks, and more, and you can use the Favorites and Collections features to route to saved locations. It's also easier to find points of interest along your current route in Maps.

Siri in Maps uses more natural language, which is a great update. As an example, instead of hearing "Turn right in 1,000 feet," Siri might instead say "turn right at the next traffic light."

Updates to the Music app make it easier to navigate through your music library, playlists, radio stations, and more, so you can find just what you want to hear with little effort. The Now Playing UI has also been updated with album art throughout the entire CarPlay interface, which is an improvement over CarPlay in iOS 12.

There's Siri support for third-party navigation apps, so you can ask Siri to do something like route you home using the Waze app instead of Apple Maps. In the future, Siri support could also come to music apps like Spotify in CarPlay thanks to new SiriKit APIs. You're also now able to use "Hey Siri" across all vehicles for easier Siri activation.

For those with HomeKit products like garage door openers, there's a handy Siri suggestions feature that does things like bring up an icon to open up your garage when you approach home. There are multiple Siri suggestions like this that are going to vary based on your CarPlay usage, but it's definitely a neat and useful addition.

CarPlay has a Settings app in iOS 13, so you can adjust Do Not Disturb While Driving, turn Siri on and off, turn off album art, and switch the appearance between the default dark mode and a new lighter user interface.

Also new to CarPlay is support for using CarPlay and your iPhone at the same time. In earlier versions of CarPlay, if you had Maps up but wanted to do something like change the music on your phone, it would kick you out of Maps on CarPlay. That's not the case anymore, so now you can have Maps up while doing other things on your iPhone.

All in all, iOS 13 brings some much needed changes to the CarPlay experience, and it should be a welcome update for CarPlay users. Know of an iOS 13 CarPlay feature that we left out? Let us know in the comments.

Article Link: Hands-On With CarPlay in iOS 13: Everything That's New

ramallite

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2004
Greensboro
Visit site
I have a very old car so bear with me a second because I'm thinking of buying a newer car soon: Do any of these new features mean that they'll work on *current* cars with CarPlay support, or would the manufacturers/dealerships also need to update something on their end?

PlainEnvelopes

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2018
I love the new apple car play. Made running the beta on my phone worth it.
[doublepost=1565986126][/doublepost]
I have a very old car so bear with me a second because I'm thinking of buying a newer car soon: Do any of these new features mean that they'll work on *current* cars with CarPlay support, or would the manufacturers/dealerships also need to update something on their end?

If the car you are going to purchase has apple car play and a phone running IOS 13 that is all you have to do. No dealership help is needed.

Unless you have a new BMW and they charge you to use apple car play.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2018
Also new to CarPlay is support for using CarPlay and your iPhone at the same time. In earlier versions of CarPlay, if you had Maps up but wanted to do something like change the music on your phone, it would kick you out of Maps on CarPlay. That's not the case anymore, so now you can have Maps up while doing other things on your iPhone.
****ING FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now you can text at a stop light
[doublepost=1565986514][/doublepost]
The beauty of CarPlay is that it is essentially a video running on your iPhone being streamed to the stereo. Your car's function is solely to provide input (i.e. the touchscreen says such and such area is being pressed), and everything is rendered on the iPhone. So as long as CarPlay does not require additional funcionality (e.g. Multi Touch), which I believe is highly unlikely for the time being and for a long time coming, since brand new 2020 cars are still using the initial CarPlay protocols, it will still work.

wwooden

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
My only requested two new features of Carplay are:

• I wish the left hand panel (with the app icons, time, cell signal, etc.) would auto hide when in an app. There is not need for this to be displayed all the time. It would make the maps view bigger. And it could automatically unhide with a touch of the screen, just like the rest of the info boxes.
  • When apps get new notifications, such as Messages or Whatsapp, they should automatically be placed in the left hand panel. It's easy to miss a text message notification (because I am looking at the road), but if the Message app is not one of my 3 most recent, I will have no idea I received a notification. It should automatically be moved to the panel for access.
I do like the new split view, that will prevent needless back and forth between maps and music.

Reactions: BrianSoCal

OneHandWaving

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2014
CarPlay is ‘driven’ by the phone. There’s no CarPlay update for the actual in car unit.

Reactions: Kaibelf

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
Does Volvo allow Carplay to utilize its HUD if using it for nav vs the built in nav?

Imdougurnot

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2017
I love the new apple car play. Made running the beta on my phone worth it.
[doublepost=1565986126][/doublepost]

If the car you are going to purchase has apple car play and a phone running IOS 13 that is all you have to do. No dealership help is needed.

Unless you have a new BMW and they charge you to use apple car play.
Beat me to it.

pjij

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008
Making a call (using Siri) still takes over the full screen, which is very annoying when using the navigation. I have to always elects maps again. Really had hoped they fixed this.

Reactions: stopthenonsense

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
Looks like it's finally worth investing in... is there any good headuniton on the horizon?

I'm looking for:
  • Dual-Slot
  • short depth
  • no-eyecancer-display (>800x480 would be highly appreciated)
  • physical buttons for basic funcitons (volume previous next and so on)
  • wireless carplay
  • capacitve touchscreen prefered
  • neutral look, no high tech design. It's to be installed in my car, not the cockpit of a spaceship
  • Spotify integrated would be nice, but not a must
  • no no-name device

Last edited by a moderator:

MrMichaelJames

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
I have a physical "Map" button in my head unit on my car, which when pressed with carplay running launches apple maps, wish there was a way to define what the default map app was in car play so that it would launch waze instead.

Reactions: iosiseasy

realtuner

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
Does Volvo allow Carplay to utilize its HUD if using it for nav vs the built in nav?
iOS 13 has the ability for a second video stream to an alternate screen (like a HUD or your instrument cluster). It'll be interesting to see what data gets displayed to these screens, but that's going to be up to the manufacturer to implement (activate).

archer75

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I love carplay! I use it every time I'm driving. Mostly for podcasts via pocketcasts and navigating. But i've also used it with both apple music and spotify. And of course voice to text and siri requests on occasion.

I had to go with an aftermarket stereo as carplay came out for my truck 3 years after I got it.

I'm using a pioneer head unit along with idatalink. Supports wireless carplay. 8300 I think is the model number? 8200? Something like that. Came out earlier this year, late last year.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68000
Jun 15, 2018
I love carplay! I use it every time I'm driving. Mostly for podcasts via pocketcasts and navigating. But i've also used it with both apple music and spotify. And of course voice to text and siri requests on occasion.

I had to go with an aftermarket stereo was carplay came out for my truck 3 years after I got it.

I'm using a pioneer head unit along with idatalink. Supports wireless carplay. 8300 I think is the model number? Came out earlier this year.
Doesn't it drain the battery?

The main thing I like about my VW's infotainment is that it will fast charge and use CarPlay incredibly seamlessly.

calzon65

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
If an automaker does not have smartphone integration, then CarPlay is fantastic, but if you happen to own a car with high quality smartphone integration, like BMW, then CarPlay is total junk.

One of the worst features of CarPlay I've see, with the cars I sometimes rent, is the lack of a proper night mode on the map when driving at night. On my personal car, my maps, that are far better quality than the CarPlay maps, automatically change to a "night mode" versus CarPlay shining its "mapping spotlight" in my eyes.
The list of CarPlay's deficiencies is too long to list when you compare CarPlay to smartphone integration from companies that have been enhancing their smartphone integration for over a decade.

Last edited:

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
iOS 13 has the ability for a second video stream to an alternate screen (like a HUD or your instrument cluster). It'll be interesting to see what data gets displayed to these screens, but that's going to be up to the manufacturer to implement (activate).
Hence the question of does Volvo allow so since this article used a Volvo for the test.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
If an automaker does not have smartphone integration, then CarPlay is fantastic, but if you happen to own a car with high quality smartphone integration, like BMW, then CarPlay is total junk.

One of the worst features of CarPlay I've see, with the cars I sometimes rent, is the lack of a proper night mode on the map when driving at night. On my personal car, my maps, that are far better quality than the CarPlay maps, automatically change to a "night mode" versus CarPlay shining its "mapping spotlight" in my eyes.

The list of CarPlay's deficiencies is too long to list when you compare CarPlay to smartphone integration from companies that have been enhancing their smartphone integration for over a decade.
Not doubting, but can I have some specific examples of what is better. My two GM vehicles have Carplay (Volt and Acadia) and they have intergration with smaertphone...outside of bluetooth autoconnecting without a cable (p.s. wtf is the hold up on wireless carplay...It exists but no one seems to use it.). the carplay seems to be much nicer