Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Lock screen experience in iOS 10 has been completely overhauled, with a new widgets side panel, a redesigned Control Center, revamped notifications, quicker camera access, and the removal of the iconic "Slide to Unlock" feature.

As can be seen in the hands-on video below, Slide to Unlock, formerly accessible through a right swipe, has been retired. Swiping right now brings up a widgets side panel, while swiping left opens up the Camera app. The widgets panel houses widgets formerly located in the "Today" view of the Notification Center.

The unlocking mechanism has been changed because with Touch ID, it was easy to bypass the Lock screen too quickly, making it difficult to see notifications.

New on the Lock screen is a "Raise to Wake" feature, exclusive to the iPhone 6s, 6s Plus, and SE, all three of which have an A9/M9 processor. There's also a redesigned Control Center and rich notifications, both of which support 3D Touch. In the Control Center, a 3D Touch on Flashlight, Timer, or Camera brings up different options, while 3D pressing on an incoming notification offers up options like replying to messages directly from the Lock screen.

In case you missed it, make sure to check out our seven minute WWDC 2016 video, which features a quick rundown on all of the new iOS, macOS Sierra, tvOS, and watchOS features Apple introduced this week, and stay tuned to MacRumors for more in-depth software videos.

Article Link: Hands-On With iOS 10's Overhauled Lock Screen

Joseph C

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2013
I reckon Dark Mode was planned (possibly to tie to Night Shift) but they canned it last minute for some reason. There are various elements of iOS 10 that are much brighter than before. Notifications, Control Center, News and Music to name but a few.

Shame as it would have been perfect to introduce this year with an API ahead of OLED phones in 2017. Instead we're going to probably get OLED phones in 2017 alongside a Dark Mode which developers haven't adapted for yet.

Typical.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Semantically it makes sense to take widgets out of the Notification Pane, but this presumably means you'll have to exit whatever app you're in to get to your widgets. I pull down Notifications all the time when I'm in an app in order to use the Hue widget. Seems like this will require a couple more steps. Also not sure why the Play/Pause needs its own control center area.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2009
I reckon Dark Mode was planned (possibly to tie to Night Shift) but they canned it last minute for some reason. There are various elements of iOS 10 that are much brighter than before. Notifications, Control Center, News and Music to name but a few.

Shame as it would have been perfect to introduce this year with an API ahead of OLED phones in 2017. Instead we're going to probably get OLED phones in 2017 alongside a Dark Mode which developers haven't adapted for yet.

Typical.

There won't be a dark mode in iOS. Dark modes don't work... just look at Android and Windows Phone to see how that failed.

Reactions: R.T.

GhostRaider

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
So nobody here questions that a thief is able to see your messages, or personal information by swiping or using force touch. Or that they can just use airplane mode or that they can just take out the SIM and then Find My iPhone doesn't work? Surely this was considered during development right?

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
The United States of America
I'm not a fan of how Widgets are now available in only two places, the left of the lock screen and the left of the home screen. Before, I could access widgets from anywhere on the device through Notification Center. This is what made them useful, the ability to see them from anywhere.

Widgets will essentially be useless for me if I have to exit the app I am using to see them. I really hope that they change this.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
I think it's dumb that "Raise to Wake" is exclusive to M9 devices. What about the M9 makes it a requirement over the M7 or M8?

Reactions: Cwolk

chrismail627

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2016
California
And yet, there's still no weather display on the lock screen...

What has Apple got against this feature?
I think Apple keeps it off the initial lock screen in order to keep things looking clean; I kind of like it. The weather is just a swipe away. Kind of interesting, they used to have the weather on the Galaxy S6 on the lock screen, but when I upgraded to Marshmallow it was removed. There is something to be said about simplicity, but I do get why one would want to see the weather directly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.