Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following Monday's keynote event, Apple released its newest iPhone operating system, iOS 11, to developers.

iOS 11 won't be available for public beta testers until June and the general public will need to wait until the fall, but if you want to get a quick taste of what's coming in the update, check out our hands-on video below.

There are subtle design changes throughout iOS 11, with a focus on bolder fonts and borderless buttons. One of the most significant design changes can be seen in the Control Center, which has been entirely overhauled with a new look, deeper functionality, and better customization.

An entirely new App Store has been developed for iOS 11, and for the first time, apps and games are split out into their own sections. There's a "Today" view that's updated on a daily basis with recommendations, developer stories, and more.

Files, a new app, mimics the Finder in macOS and makes it easier to manage files on iOS devices, and Siri has a new, more natural voice. Messages has a new app drawer to make it easier to use stickers and apps, and there's a new built-in person-to-person Apple Pay feature for sending money to friends.

Maps includes indoor maps for malls and airports in select cities, and a Do Not Disturb While Driving feature is designed to keep users safe in the car. Apple Music features friend sharing, Photos includes new Live Photo editing options, and Notes supports handwriting recognition.

Along with these new features, there are several changes that are specific to the iPad. A new bottom Dock has been added, for example, and that dock is accessible from anywhere with a simple swipe up from the bottom of the display. A new App Switcher on the iPad (accessed with a double swipe) shows a tiled view of all the open apps to make switching faster and more Mac-like.

We'll have more videos covering iOS 11 features over the course of the week, so make sure to stay tuned to MacRumors.com.

Article Link: Hands-On With iOS 11: New Control Center, Redesigned App Store, Files App and More

muadibe

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
Does anyone know if you still have to unlock your phone to do a tapback in Messages? I find it odd that I can enter a reply to a message with screen locked, but can't do a tapback which is surely less of a potential security issue.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
IMG_1329.JPG

We should be able get Control Center to look like this mockup.

ComRadMac

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2017
I mean... how often would someone REALLY be doing that... Seems like a rather silly "feature" to waste resource on.

Anyone that wants to monitor more than one external camera, such a GoPro. This would be a game changer, honestly.

Anyone testing various networks, or in an area with several they need to use alternately, such as for work purposes.

Anyone caught between 2 networks, where the iphone refuses to jump to the stronger signal.

Now that they've added depth touch, putting that functionality under the wifi icon seems fairly trivial, from a resources-and-interface perspective. Nothing new needs to happen, the access to the menu just needs another display. Not exactly cutting edge. I'd use this pretty often, myself.

Let's also get Low-Power Mode in there somewhere easier to access. I toggle that one on and off all the time.

Last edited:

TechRemarker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The video says if you can't talk you can write to Siri. That's misleading. It only lets you "edit" text you have already spoken. There is a feature in accessibility where you can enable siri text submissions without having to use your voice, but then that completely disables voice siri, meaning you can't do both.

Hopefully this gets fixed as most of the time use Voice Siri but would love like how I use pull down for spotlight a million times a day would be great to be able to enter siri questions into spotlight. Toggling an accessibility feature on an off each time defeats the purpose of trying to save time by using siri in the first place.

drinkingtea

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2016
iOS 11 is an absolute UI mess. What happened to the harmonious design language that Steve embraced? CC and the App Store are jarring to look at. What is with that white space and large, bold font? There are like four different font sizes in the App Store homepage. Why weren't basic functions included like having two apps open at once or choosing a default app? Why don't we have bundled notifications? Mess.

My next phone will be a Galaxy. I've heard so many great things about it from friends who switched after owning an iPhone for years.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
No labels in the dock? That annoys me. Maybe it's a bug.
It's a feature, you can remove apps from the dock and labels come back. Since docked items are considered to be your main points of interest and most used they don't need labels. At least hows how I see it. I wish there was an option to turn off labels but that will never happen.

TechRemarker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Did I hear that correctly? The iPencil now works with the phone?
Yes you heard them correctly saying that, however no its not correct. Pencil does now allow you to write on an iPhone. What they meant to say presumably was you can write in notes on your iPad. There are a few other inaccuracies in the video so take it with a grain of salt.

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
Umm a lot of people... being able to 3D Touch deeper into Wifi and Bluetooth and actually pick which one you want/need at the moment seems like a huge oversight.

Eh. I think a lot of people is being pretty generous. I own a lot of tech in my house and I don't find myself switching networks and bluetooth devices. Do you really struggle with that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.