Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
The bargain basement SSD you got bears no relation to the SSD that Apple ships. The nvme drives they ship are high speed, high endurance drives. If you look at samsung SSDs think more $300 pro, less $100 Evo. If you want cheap crappie thrown in, edoevislly when it comes to drives, you're looking at the wrong vendor. Dell is that way --->

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01639694M/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497148851&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=samsung+950+pro+m.2+256gb&dpPl=1&dpID=4131LaT+I-L&ref=plSrch

Next time, please read the post before you reply with something completed irrelevant and offtopic.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Next time, please read the post before you reply with something completed irrelevant and offtopic.

You: “My SSDs were cheap! CRAPPLE are expensive!!!”
Me: “Comparing Apples to Dells”
You: “WAH WAH WAH”

:rolleyes:

I don’t know who you think you’re kidding

Reactions: zaxxon72

MikeSmoke

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
Maryland USA
I'm going to be very careful this time about upgrading my iPad mini 2 to iOS 11. It feels like it is close to that breaking point where a version up from 10 will be pushing its capabilities. I made the mistake of going one version too far on an iPad 1 and an iPhone 4s. The mini 2 is still a fine device on iOS 10. I am content with it as it is. I have not yet seen any specifics about how much of the iOS 11 features will be available on A7 iPads. I don't expect split screen that was not available with iOS 9/10 but good coding could possibly pull it off. I wonder if the APFS is fast enough to function as temporary RAM for OS duties.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
You: “My SSDs were cheap! CRAPPLE are expensive!!!”
Me: “Comparing Apples to Dells”
You: “WAH WAH WAH”

:rolleyes:

I don’t know who you think you’re kidding

Yep, you didn't read what you're replying to, that's not what was said, not what it was in reply to and totally irrelevant.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
In DevNull0’s mind these posts are unrelated. There are no :rolleyes: large enough.

Learn to read please. That was referring to 2011 macs in 2011 and why being able to upgrade it means I get a better product today than Apple could possibly have provided in 2011.

Unless you think you the 320 gig 5400 rpm drive Apple put in the 2011 mac is better than a 512 gig SSD you can buy today, you really have no clue what you're talking about because you're replying to something you didn't read.

But you didn't know I and another poster were discussing a 2011 mac because you didn't read it, even though it was mentioned in the very post you replied to.
[doublepost=1497155126][/doublepost]
See above. You posted words in a public forum and they can be quoted.

And those quotes were about what Apple shipped 6 years ago, not what they ship today. Which is why your reply is totally irrelevant.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Learn to read please. That was referring to 2011 macs in 2011 and why being able to upgrade it means I get a better product today than Apple could possibly have provided in 2011.

Unless you think you the 320 gig 5400 rpm drive Apple put in the 2011 mac is better than a 512 gig SSD you can buy today, you really have no clue what you're talking about because you're replying to something you didn't read.

But you didn't know I and another poster were discussing a 2011 mac because you didn't read it, even though it was mentioned in the very post you replied to.
[doublepost=1497155126][/doublepost]

And those quotes were about what Apple shipped 6 years ago, not what they ship today. Which is why your reply is totally irrelevant.

Once again, I don’t know who you thing you’re fooling

That $300 I paid will get me close to a TB of PCI-E SSD

That $300 will indeed get you a dog*** 1tb SSD. It’s not comparable to what Apple ship.

Hence
The bargain basement SSD you got bears no relation to the SSD that Apple ships. The nvme drives they ship are high speed, high endurance drives. If you look at samsung SSDs think more $300 pro, less $100 Evo. If you want cheap crap thrown in, especially when it comes to drives, you're looking at the wrong vendor. Dell is that way --->

Can you stop throwing around ad-hom’s about my reading skills now? They don’t go down well here. Thanks.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
The bargain basement SSD you got bears no relation to the SSD that Apple ships. The nvme drives they ship are high speed, high endurance drives. If you look at samsung SSDs think more $300 pro, less $100 Evo. If you want cheap crap thrown in, especially when it comes to drives, you're looking at the wrong vendor. Dell is that way --->

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01639694M/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1497148851&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=samsung+950+pro+m.2+256gb&dpPl=1&dpID=4131LaT+I-L&ref=plSrch

You're deliberately misquoting me. That doesn't go down well here either.

DevNull0 said:
$1,199 for the MBP. The same day I brought it home it was $80 for 16 gig of ram and $300 for 256 gig of SSD -- not from Apple. SSD used to be pretty expensive.
That $300 I paid will get me close to a TB of PCI-E SSD.

It was a comparison of what $300 got me in terms of an SSD in 2011 compared to what $300 will get me for an SSD today.

And the rest of what I said on the topic in that post....256 gig was pretty nice and expensive in 2011 and cheap and pathetic today. Since the remainder of what I was saying to the other user was that i lated upgraded my 256 gig. Something impossible with the current Macs. When SDD's become cheaper, bigger, and faster in a few years, your current MBP is locked to whatever dinky cheap pathetic size it shipped with. My 2011 MBP can still be upgraded beyond what Apple ships today.

bjet767

Suspended
Oct 2, 2010
Devnull

My only point is you thought today's MBP is expensive and it is, but in comparison to the 2011 similar in price. The exception you make is the older MBPs were user upgradable and in that you are correct.

I personally would like to have the option to upgrade as I see fit, but since it's not offered I purchased what I needed, a 2016 13" 8gig 512 ssd TB. Yes it would have been nice to get the minimum memory and storage and then upgraded as I needed.

Just so you know my wife had the 2011 13" MBP like yours and we decided the 12" MB with 8 gig and 512 ssd was better than upgrading to an after market ssd with the older screen and hardware. Personal choices is what makes the market spin.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
You're deliberately misquoting me. That doesn't go down well here either.

I’m not misquoting you. I’m quoting you. I never changed a letter in that last post.

256 gig was pretty nice and expensive in 2011 and cheap and pathetic today

It’s only cheap and pathetic when it’s cheap and pathetic. That’s not the SSDs Apple ship. I provided a link showing that such an SSD, even now, is $300. Granted, that’s not an OEM price but it’s not comparable to the $100, 500Gb you referenced. Oh look, we’ve come full circle. My original post stands and you still seem to think any 256Gb SSD is equivalent.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Devnull

My only point is you thought today's MBP is expensive and it is, but in comparison to the 2011 similar in price. The exception you make is the older MBPs were user upgradable and in that you are correct.

I personally would like to have the option to upgrade as I see fit, but since it's not offered I purchased what I needed, a 2016 13" 8gig 512 ssd TB. Yes it would have been nice to get the minimum memory and storage and then upgraded as I needed.

Just so you know my wife had the 2011 13" MBP like yours and we decided the 12" MB with 8 gig and 512 ssd was better than upgrading to an after market ssd with the older screen and hardware. Personal choices is what makes the market spin.

I agree with everything you said. I would only add that in my opinion, Personal choices is what Apple is out to eliminate today and that's where I have a problem.

Even, as Freenician says, Apple's markup on the SSDs isn't that huge for the chips they give you. But with the free choice you had before you can save a lot of money with a moderately slower drive if that speed doesn't matter to you.

Reactions: Feenician

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I agree with everything you said. I would only add that in my opinion, Personal choices is what Apple is out to eliminate today and that's where I have a problem.

Even, as Freenician says, Apple's markup on the SSDs isn't that huge for the chips they give you. But with the free choice you had before you can save a lot of money with a moderately slower drive if that speed doesn't matter to you.

That I agree with. It’s just not the computers that Apple are making though. For better or for worse they are shipping the fastest storage they can lay their hands on. If the price point doesn’t suit you, you simply have to shop elsewhere.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
I’m not misquoting you. I’m quoting you. I never changed a letter in that last post.

You're cherry picking short sentences out of context to make it look like I said something I didn't.

Oh look, we’ve come full circle. My original post stands and you still seem to think any 256Gb SSD is equivalent.

Nope, I think pretty much any 256gig SSD I can buy today is at least as good as the best of what i could buy in 2011. (Pretty much because there could be cheap junk on the market I don't know about).
[doublepost=1497157267][/doublepost]
That I agree with. It’s just not the computers that Apple are making though. For better or for worse they are shipping the fastest storage they can lay their hands on. If the price point doesn’t suit you, you simply have to shop elsewhere.

Pretty much what I was saying from the beginning. I like being able to save a bit adding my own components at the beginning, but even more important to me is that as tech marches on I could have kept improving the 2011 model and it was very up to date for years. With a 2016/17, when new better and cheaper flash comes out in the next few years, I can't benefit from it.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
You're cherry picking short sentences out of context to make it look like I said something I didn't.

As far as you and I, we’re going to have to agree to disagree on that. Anyone else reading can make their own judgement.

Nope, I think pretty much any 256gig SSD I can buy today is at least as good as the best of what i could buy in 2011

I would imagine they are. Even low-tier drives pretty much have the “does not shred your data” thing nailed at this point afaik. Again, this has no bearing on Apple’s current price points because they are shipping the fastest, most durable SSDs money can buy. They’ve been ahead of the curve on this one for some years, even where they’ve lagged on other things.

If you think I’m saying that Apple always ship all the latest technology in a timely fashion, I’m not. If you think I’m saying that Apple always beat other vendors per $, I’m not. But of all the things to pick on for Apple computers having a relatively high initial cost to the the consumer, storage seems like the least of the ills. They have a recent track record of being absolutely on top of the game here.
[doublepost=1497157928][/doublepost]

Nope, I think pretty much any 256gig SSD I can buy today is at least as good as the best of what i could buy in 2011. (Pretty much because there could be cheap junk on the market I don't know about).
[doublepost=1497157267][/doublepost]

Pretty much what I was saying from the beginning. I like being able to save a bit adding my own components at the beginning, but even more important to me is that as tech marches on I could have kept improving the 2011 model and it was very up to date for years. With a 2016/17, when new better and cheaper flash comes out in the next few years, I can't benefit from it.

The “not user serviceable” thing has been beaten to death at this point. In laptops (or all the analogous things in the Wintel world) it’s been the way the wind has been blowing for a long (in computer/dog years) time. A vanishingly small amount of people want to pull apart their Macbook, Surface, Spectre or XPS and change the hardware. It’s not an Apple thing. To continually rag on this is as tedious as it is irrelevant. If you don’t want thin, light, glued together, unserviceable hardware don’t buy these things and don’t expect them to change because it’s not happening.

And do me a favor and don’t trot out the “b...but it says Pro in the name”. No-one cares. It says Pro in the name of the iPad Pro and it says in the Surface Pro too. Guess what you can’t do in these machines?

Last edited:

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
As far as you and I, we’re going to have to agree to disagree on that. Anyone else reading can make their own judgement.

All right.

Again, this has no bearing on Apple’s current price points because they are shipping the fastest, most durable SSDs money can buy. They’ve been ahead of the curve on this one for some years, even where they’ve lagged on other things.

Agreed, but when I need to store 500 gig of photos that are in projects I'm currently working on, SSD is nice, but the fastest SSD money can buy is not the best choice for the job. 500 gig is not a huge amount when we're talking 50 meg raw files for every photo in the project and 500 meg photoshop files for images that are getting a lot of work. If the SSD were half the speed I wouldn't notice the difference in this application.

These are working files. I have several terabytes of images well backed up and stored a few places. I don't need the laptop to be able to store my whole archive.

Given that that's what I'm storing it's easy to see where $800 for a TB is off-putting. The 13" entry level is plenty powerful enough and I prefer the non-touchbar anyway, so we're talking a $1000 upgrade (including the 16 gig of ram) on a $1300 computer. That's not a very good prospect. I'm not objecting to the ram price, though that is pretty steep. And I really need 16 gig, so I'm not even going raise the no 32 option issue.

If you think I’m saying that Apple always ship all the latest technology in a timely fashion, I’m not. If you think I’m saying that Apple always beat other vendors per $, I’m not. But of all the things to pick on for Apple computers having a relatively high initial cost to the the consumer, storage seems like the least of the ills.

Apple has never offered the best value per $, but if that were a problem for me, I wouldn't be here. They've always been worth their cost imo until the past couple of years. I mean at the price points we're talking about, no longer including the extension for the power brick just emphasizes they cut every corner they can.

The “not user serviceable” thing has been beaten to death at this point. In laptops (or all the analogous things in the Wintel world) it’s been the way the wind has been blowing for a long (in computer/dog years) time.

I can list any number of windows laptops that are a few mm thicker than the current MBP yet have socketed ram, an M.2 PCI-E slot, and a 2.5" bay. And even a GTX1060. But as you say, it's been beaten to death.

A vanishingly small amount of people want to pull apart their Macbook, Surface, Spectre or XPS and change the hardware. It’s not an Apple thing.

I agree with you because it's self-selecting. Most people who buy those machines don't care about upgrading the hardware or they wouldn't buy them. But it doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people who do care about it. And they will mostly buy the more upgradable machines. Dell makes the Spectre, the XPS, as well as plenty of very upgradable laptops. For the size of Apple, they have an amazingly small focus, I don't think anyone can say they're not leaving a lot of money on the table from hardware enthusiasts who used to love their products.

And do me a favor and don’t trot out the “b...but it says Pro in the name”. No-one cares. It says Pro in the name of the iPad Pro and it says in the Surface Pro too. Guess what you can’t do in these machines?

Yeah, I'm not going to do that to you. I've long since come to terms with the fact that "Pro" in current Apple parlance just means "More Expensive". Apple's product lineups are a mess right now in that respect but I do have hopes they'll clean it up in the next couple of years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Feenician

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Glad they are finally adding features to iOS that allows the iPad to slowly "become" a laptop replacement. Until now it's just been a iPad with a stylus, using a phone os

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Agreed, but when I need to store 500 gig of photos that are in projects I'm currently working on

If you’re a “pro” who “needs” to store 500gb of photos for a project (a highly unusual requirement. How many photos is that?) then you presumably a) bought a machine or had had a machine bought for you with suitable amount of space and b) do not store these critical project files solely on a single drive for any amount of time. If these were my “500 gb of photos for a project” and you worked for me, i would fire you if you did.

I can list any number of windows laptops that are a few mm thicker than the current MBP yet have socketed ram, an M.2 PCI-E slot, and a 2.5" bay. And even a GTX1060
Please do. I’m interested to see how comparable they are.

I've long since come to terms with the fact that "Pro" in current Apple parlance just means "More Expensive
What does it mean for Surface Pro? Is that Pro-er?

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
If you’re a “pro” who “needs” to store 500gb of photos for a project (a highly unusual requirement. How many photos is that?) then you presumably a) bought a machine or had had a machine bought for you with suitable amount of space and b) do not store these critical project files solely on a single drive for any amount of time. If these were my “500 gb of photos for a project” and you worked for me, i would fire you if you did.

I thought you didn't want to throw around the "pro" word. It's not my day job but it pays for my equipment.

Looking realistically. A typical shoot can run from 3-500 pictures at 30 meg each. Say 15 gig straight out of the camera. Most only get tweaked as raw files and the sidecar files take almost no space. I will do minor edits to about 30 which add 50 meg each and major edits to about 5 which add 200 meg each for the photoshop files. 100 deliverables at 5 meg each for 500 meg total. Rounding up, let's say 20 gig for each shoot, and I rarely have more than 5 on the go at once, so say 100 gig. I do shoot 2-3 weddings a year, that will be closer to 2000 raw files. Count it as 5 typical shoots all at once.

As far as storage of critical files...no I don't keep the only copy in a single spot. First thing I do is copy the memory cards to an external hard drive. Second thing is copy it to the Mac. When I'm done the edits I copy them onto the external HDD as well and only after that do I reuse the memory sticks. As an ad hoc offsite backup, the mac is always with me anyway, so I copy the files from the mac to a second HDD I keep at work from time to time.

Please do. I’m interested to see how comparable they are.

The MSI GS63VR STEALTH PRO 4K-228. 15.6", 3.96lbs and 0.69" thick. It has industry standard HDD+SSD, socketed ram (up to 32 gig), and the GTX1060. Comes with a 4k screen, 16 gig of ram, 2TB HDD, 0.5TB SSD for less than the base 15" MBP. There are a lot of variants at different price points and a range of screen sizes.

Honestly, when I made the claim originally, i was thinking of the Razer Blade at 17.9mm, but I double checked and it doesn't have a 2.5" bay. And I'm finding a lot that seem to have it all except the 2.5" bay. Or they push past 20mm which I can't fairly claim is in the size range.

What does it mean for Surface Pro? Is that Pro-er?

I really don't know the MS products at all, so I'll assume you're right. But just because MS throws around a "pro" as a stupid marketing buzz word means Apple should? I don't know if Pro ever had meaning for the surface, but "Pro" used to mean something on Apple products. Maybe not "Professional", but you could expect more focus on performance than form. The 2011 MBP is big and clunky compared to the MBA of its time, but you got a lot more out of it. Now the 2017 13" MBP non-touch is a 13" MBA with retina. The Mac Pro was a serious machine before 2013.

Last edited:

PBRsg

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2014
Why are there still 4 icons per row?
[doublepost=1497168133][/doublepost]
Really? After all of Steve Jobs massive caterwauling and gnashing of teeth about using a stylus to control the OS/UI. Oh the irony.

Steve Jobs did not like the idea of being forced to use a stylus just to operate the phone, which was how phones operated before the iPhone.

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
I own multiple iPads including the iPad 12.9 and this is FAR from a real laptop replacement.

Biggest issue still failing on the iPad: can't read data from a simple USB thumb drive or any USB storage device. Wireless AP storage units do not count. Dragging and dropping is a big deal but that should've been included starting from iOS 7. Much ado about nothing; readdle apps (documents) and filebrowser (business) can even do more than this more than a year ago (allowing AFP/SMB/SFTP/NAS support). This is just apple playing catchup and a lot of the iPad functionality is frankenstein features. Look at the control center it's a friggin' ugly mess. All that wasted space on the home screen as well. Nothing you can customize and yet you waste 2732-by-2048 resolution making it exactly like a scaled up iPhone interface.

If you can run 3 apps, you can run 4 and more. All these limitations are just apple nickel and diming y'all (including myself). The day the iPad gets respect is when you can actually use the screen real estate allowing customizations....dragging and dropping links and images is so basic this should've been available years ago!

Who uses USB drives?!! It's 2017!

Mine all have dust on them at the bottom of my draw.

It's all about Cloud storage. Sounds like you're a perfect match for a windows tablet then.

Reactions: yep-sure

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I do like the dock but i hope that's not the default as u have to swipe up to use... I don't mind sacrificing real estate just so i have readily available access at all times. Seems Apple prefers the full screen nature of apps over the dock.. while on the Mac it's the reverse.

Times will changes

BritishApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2016
It’s incredible to use, my Air 2 handles everything with the odd stutter here and there but this will be ironed out over the course of development, in terms of UI fluidity it’s very good for a first build.

Happy to keep this on my Air 2 foe the duration of the beta process, the features make the iPad instantly more useful to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.