Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

owidhh

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2021
After 20 years, you’d think Apple would think big and overhaul the OS… stage manager, virtual desktops, expose, dock, the clumsy split window views… there’s too much crud and not one great solution. It needs a rethink... every element… streamline the whole thing, top to bottom.

iOS/iPadOS was their rethink.. Other than that, they have no choice but to make gradual, small increment, improvements/changes -- people actually depend on these machines to get work done, communicate with others, live their life, etc. Major overhauls interrupts that. Not many people can quickly adapt to changes, heck even these incremental updates frustrate a lot of users when things are no longer where they think they are, when they behave differently, when they disappear...

Paapaa

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2013
Stage Manager: MacOS with a significant portion of your display desktop being used by something you’re not using.
Exactly my thoughts. I mean, why on earth would I reduce my screen real estate by roughly 5-10% because of some window manager feature? Or how does Stage Manager work if I want to use all the horizontal space? Can Stage Manager be hidden like Dock?

So far it looks very much useless gimmick to me. But I have to try it before the final opinion.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Not always. It was a Desk Accessory before it was an app. That way you could open it while an app was running.
So what you're saying is that there was a calculator installed by default. LOL. Isn't that what I just said?

My computer use pre-dates the existence of Apple as a company, so I'm quite aware of everything Apple has ever created, including the little Desk Accessories in the 680XX original Macs.

I realize you're considering the DAs of pre-OSX operating systems to not be an "app." But I think we're using the word "App" as a generic name for "computer program/software," and I think you know that.

The need to try to be smarter than everyone else here is kind of boorish, and transparent.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Shared Tab Groups? Seriously? I remember when macOS updates and features were relevant and exciting not abysmal and disappointing. The new macOS could have been a .1 update.
I thought we were all complaining about buggy and unstable releases and asking Apple to please just work on bugs and don’t bring out a bunch of new features. By most reports this first beta is very stable.

BTW - there are just a few other changes than “Shared Tab Groups” (which seems like a nice, if unambitious, feature). Those who are interested can check out Apple’s list.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
iOS/iPadOS was their rethink.. Other than that, they have no choice but to make gradual, small increment, improvements/changes -- people actually depend on these machines to get work done, communicate with others, live their life, etc. Major overhauls interrupts that. Not many people can quickly adapt to changes, heck even these incremental updates frustrate a lot of users when things are no longer where they think they are, when they behave differently, when they disappear...
What you’re talking about is a new paradigm which is not what I mean by rethink. Stage manager is a clear example of rethinking how users can manage windows/virtual spaces but Apple isn’t confident enough in this method to replace all the other ways users can achieve the same thing so they just keep piling on the band aids which adds more crud to the code and adds complexity for users. In fact, they have so little confidence in it that they made it impossible for people like my parents to even activate it.

OS X was the last big rethink of Mac OS and that was 21 years ago! Before that, it was System 7, which was 10 years before that. Every once in awhile, you have to think big and do a major house cleaning, and IMO it’s time for Apple to do just that.

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
OS X was the last big rethink of Mac OS and that was 21 years ago! Before that, it was System 7, which was 10 years before that. Every once in awhile, you have to think big and do a major house cleaning, and IMO it’s time for Apple to do just that.

It would be great if they could do that but I don’t trust their team *at all* right now. Their methodology is always to replace Mac things with iOS things with no improvements for the different use case of MacOS. It reeks of laziness and lack of vision

The best thing the Mac team can do right now is stop messing up things that already work

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
I seriously can't tell the difference between Big Schlong, My Captain and Ace Ventura...etc. The new naming/ordering system makes no sense to me either.

IMO calling this OS 13 is a farce. It's totally not a full new version. It's just an old-fashioned point release...

They’ve all been the same as point releases. Even Big Sur, which was the most significant one, wasn’t that huge

Adding new architecture was the only “big deal” and that doesn’t require a new OS. They did that in Tiger 10.4.5

The reason they did it is the same as the reason they messed up settings: Everything has to be more like iOS right now

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
It would be great if they could do that but I don’t trust their team *at all* right now. Their methodology is always to replace Mac things with iOS things with no improvements for the different use case of MacOS. It reeks of laziness and lack of vision

The best thing the Mac team can do right now is stop messing up things that already work
I don’t blame you. I feel like their approach to everything is a bit lazy these days. 13” M2 MBP anyone?

QC has also been an issue, and the surprise and delight type of innovation has been too few while the shock and awe type of price hikes have been too many.

TheOldChevy

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Switzerland
Regarding Stage Manager... If you go way Way WAY WAAAAY back to one of the earliest demos of OS X by Steve Jobs, there was a "purple button" up in the top right of the window (same level as the traffic light buttons but the opposite corner.) If you clicked that, then only one app's windows was ever displayed at a time. If you clicked on a different icon on the dock then it's window popped out and the other open windows went into their dock icons... It was called... "Single Window Mode"

It never made it to even the very first version released to the public, but it was a very very early version of "something to help with all those windows"... :)

Single window mode is more or less what we have when we max a window: it gets its own screen.

Reactions: Canubis

Canubis

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
Type "Cmd+Space Bar" then type Calculator. There is and has been a calculator on MacOS for a while.

Actually, Press Cmd+Space Bar, and then type your equation if you want an even quicker way (maybe not as full-featured though).
Apple integrated a calculator right in Spotlight, it also works on iOS and iPadOS btw and it's my favorite calculator for anything quick to calculate. I am always surprised by how many people I sometimes I help with tech support are not aware of this nifty feature.

Reactions: adrianlondon

zengod

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
Just seen that the iMac I purchased new in 2017 (but a 2015 model) is being dropped support wise !! WTF Apple My First iMac was supported for over 10 years and given that 2020/21 are not years worth counting as we all did nothing but sit around eating cake for the duration, I am more than a little miffed.

Forcing people to dump perfectly good systems that could easily support any new OS is not exactly environmentally sound is it.

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
Just seen that the iMac I purchased new in 2017 (but a 2015 model) is being dropped support wise !! WTF Apple My First iMac was supported for over 10 years and given that 2020/21 are not years worth counting as we all did nothing but sit around eating cake for the duration, I am more than a little miffed.

Forcing people to dump perfectly good systems that could easily support any new OS is not exactly environmentally sound is it.

I agree. I’m really mad they dropped the MacBook Pro I bought new in 2017

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Every major update of macOS brings a bunch of really cool features... most of which I use for 10 minutes then spend an hour trying to figure out how to turn off completely and forever because I can't find a use for it.

Ventura looks to be more of the same. But as always, I'm sure there's going to be some hidden gems in there that we don't even know about.

Reactions: maxoakland
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.