Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I am really baffled by what Apple was thinking with this. It’s so clunky and ugly. I’m sure people will love it and it must have a good use for a lot of people but I don’t get it.

Strictly preference. Apple has a lot accessories that don’t really align with some consumers, mainly because of the price point and some of the functionality isn’t what I would use. I prefer the leather portfolio cases, but for some, I can see why they would want this. Again, it really comes down to personal preference.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I have had the sleeve since Friday afternoon. I don’t care what Dan said. He is wrong. You can answer the phone while it is in the sleeve. That is a fact. I have answered the phone numerous times while in the sleeve.
Weird. Watch Dan’s video at 2:55. He tries to answer.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
And the Watch solves the problem of triaging notifications.

I don't think this product is for me either, but it definitely feels like it fits people who usually have their phones tucked away and don't want or need to dig it out constantly.
This is what I’m thinking. A briefcase, a purse, something where it needs to stay protected but not readily available.

Reactions: G5isAlive

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
If you have Apple Watch and AirPods, this might not be the worse accessory. I wouldn't buy it for Half that price, but I could see the allure.

We agree, the sleeve best serves the market where it stays in the sleeve, AirPods, homepods, iPads, even computers. The phone becomes a protected accessory. Not for most, but for some. Whether they find it a value or not is no skin (pun intended) off my teeth. I applaud Apple daring to make products for people other than the masses. increases the chances they will make something unique that I like.

Last edited by a moderator:

pers0n

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2014
In 4yrs these will be $5 at goodwill, what a waste of resources. Just make it plastic or silicon and be lower the price to a 10th of what it is now

Reactions: lyngo

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
Hmm...folks use a case to protect from drops; Apple introduces a case that you have to take off to a make a call. A very drop-inducing process if there ever was one.

The slim-line box the phone came in virtually achieves the same function; granted not quite as colourful but at least it’s “free”

Last edited:

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
I have had the sleeve since Friday afternoon. I don’t care what Dan said. He is wrong. You can answer the phone while it is in the sleeve. That is a fact. I have answered the phone numerous times while in the sleeve.

But you can’t see who is calling? You can’t reject a call? You can’t stop it ringing?

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
AirPods Pro solve the issue of calls, etc...
Oh my gosh. that's not the point!
A $129 case from a 2 trillion dollar company should let you answer the freaking phone!
Stop giving apple every excuse to make bad absurd products. This should do much more.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
I have a sleeve for my 10S+ that is made by another manufacturer. I like it a lot as it protects the phone and it really isn't a pain to take it out if I need to use it/answer a call as my phone only goes in it when I go out. I don't see the point of the cut out on this sleeve though as it could allow the screen to get damaged and I have an apple watch if I want to know the time.
I make my own sleeve each time I get a new phone. I’m on my 4th sleeve. They’re useful.

Reactions: Xade and jdb8167

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France
All I wanted is another wallet case from Apple - instead they release this useless phone condom which is even dangerous for the product it is supposed to protect (all tightly fitting sleeves run the danger of scratching screens if any dust gets inside).

YourBoss

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2020
。・゚♡゚・。?。・゚♡゚・。? *** tacky *** ?。・゚♡゚・。?。・゚♡゚・。

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Weird. Watch Dan’s video at 2:55. He tries to answer.
I apologize to Dan, MacRumors, and other members here for unknowingly providing bad information. Prior to testing the leather sleeve on Friday, I had turned on auto call and forgot it was on. When I was testing the sleeve, every time I tapped on the display window, the phone answered. I did not realize at the time that i still had auto answer on until late last night.

It is not possible (under normal settings) to answer the iPhone while the phone is in the sleeve.

Last edited:

hagfish

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
I’m sure someone will find this useful, I’m not one of those people. I find this to be overpriced even for Apple, I would rather they bring back the leather folio.
This thing 'mostly' fits my use-case. I put my phone in a pouch when it's rattling around in my bag with my keys and my lunchbox. When it's in my pocket, I don't use a case, because that would be annoying. The 'mostly' is because of the little window, and the large price.

Reactions: jdb8167
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.