Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today's the official launch date for the Apple Watch Series 6 and the Apple Watch SE, both of which Apple announced on Tuesday. We picked up a couple of the new models and thought we'd give them a quick look for MacRumors readers thinking of ordering a new watch.

Apple Watch Series 6 & Apple Watch SE Hands-On!

When it comes to design, both the $399 Series 6 and the $279 SE look just like the Apple Watch Series 5 with the larger, thinner display introduced with the Series 4 and 40 and 44mm size options, so there are no surprises there.

We couldn't get one of the new colors delivered on Friday, but the Series 6 aluminum models come in new blue and (PRODUCT)RED aluminum shades along with the standard silver, space gray, and gold options. You can't get those new colors with the Apple Watch SE because it only comes in silver, space gray, and gold. The SE also isn't available in stainless steel or titanium like the Series 6.

applewatchs5ands6.jpg

Neither of Apple's new watches comes with a 5W power adapter for charging, so hopefully you have a few already on hand. You do still get the 1m charging cable, though. Apple said when introducing the watches that the power adapter was removed for environmental reasons, and we're also expecting to see the power adapter nixed from the iPhone 12 boxes too, based on rumors.

applewatchcable.jpg

The new Apple Watches look like the Series 5, but there are some differences between them. The Apple Watch Series 6 has the same Always-On display that was in the Series 5, but it's brighter outside. We had a hard time telling a difference, but it may be more obvious in some conditions.

The Always-On display in the Series 6 also lets you use Control Center and check notifications without having to raise your wrist. The Apple Watch SE has no Always-On display at all, so it's the same old blank screen when your wrist is down that you may be used to from prior Apple Watches.

Both watches have new Always-On altimeters for hiking, skiing, and other activities that involve elevation changes. You'll see the altimeter in real-time on the Series 6 thanks to that Always-On display.

applewatchse.jpg

There's a faster A6 chip in the Series 6 while the SE has the same S5 chip that was in the Series 5, and there's a noticeable jump in performance when using the Series 6. It feels faster and more powerful when navigating through the watchOS operating system.

If you flip the two watches over, there's a difference when it comes to sensors. The Series 6 is equipped with green, red, and infrared LEDs to support the new blood oxygen monitoring feature which is the big new health change. Blood oxygen monitoring and ECG are Series 6-exclusive features.

The LEDs and infrared light in the Series 6 shine light onto your wrist and photodiodes detect the color of your blood to determine the oxygen percentage. Bright red blood is well oxygenated, while darker blood has less oxygen. The Apple Watch reads all of that information and provides an oxygen level reading between 70 and 100 percent.

applewatchs6bloodoxygen2.jpg

It can be a little tricky to get a blood oxygen reading because you need to make sure to hold still. You can get readings on demand or the Apple Watch will occasionally take measurements in the background. It's neat to have the option, but it's not really clear what we're supposed to do with blood oxygen levels.

Healthy people are going to have a SpO2 level that ranges from 95 to 100% and rarely fluctuates, so like ECGs, this may be a feature that most people aren't going to take much advantage of. For those who don't feel the need to have the specific ECG and blood oxygen monitoring capabilities, the Apple Watch SE does just about everything else the Series 6 does at a more affordable price point, which makes it a good value.

applewatchs6bloodoxygen.jpg

You still get key health features like the optical heart rate sensor, fall detection, noise level monitoring, and emergency SOS, and it has the same general health and fitness functionality outside of the blood oxygen detection and ECG.

applewatchsoloband.jpg

Apple also introduced new Solo Loop and Braided Solo Loop bands with the Series 6 and SE, and we picked up a Solo Loop. These bands have no clasps or buckles and are meant to stretch to slide over your hand. Apple sells them in nine sizes, and you have to measure to make sure you get the right fit. MacRumors videographer Dan ordered a size 10 which ended up fitting his wrist well, and he said it's "incredibly comfortable." The rubber of the band stretches quite a bit, which makes it easy to get on and off.

applewatchseries6sololoop2.jpg

All in all, if you have a Series 5, there may be no need to upgrade unless you really want the blood oxygen monitoring capabilities and the faster S6 chip, and if you have an older watch and don't need ECG or blood oxygen monitoring, the SE may be the better choice for you.

We'll be doing some more in-depth videos on the Apple Watch Series 6 and the Apple Watch SE next week, so make sure to stay tuned to MacRumors.com and subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel.

Article Link: Hands-On With the New Apple Watch Series 6 and Apple Watch SE

Last edited:

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Apple adds new watch faces, I get excited and then continue using Infograph Modular.

Healthy people are going to have a SpO2 level that ranges from 95 to 100% and rarely fluctuates, so like ECGs, this may be a feature that most people aren't going to take much advantage of.

My nana always told me to frequently take advantage of my good health.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I am curious about the Braided Solo Loop bands. I love my S4 but it's really annoying how the display turns off when working with patients. Even the tap for 60 seconds feature doesn't work if you have to be upside down... so I'd love to upgrade but I am not sure if these elastic bands would stay put.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I'm still on S2 and see no reason to upgrade. Initially I wanted for the ECG and O2 measurement but then when I researched it more those 2 are totally useless for me. I'm not in the risk category (60+) and overall its more marketing thing. Anyone interested with the topic, you can google doctors talking or measuring ECG and talking specifically how not useful it is at this point. So, after a while I realised there is no point for me to upgrade until there will be a feature that is truly useful.

As of now, all these fancy ones are just mainly marketing gimmicks. Maybe one day the watch will be your personal doctor but for now, its not there yet.

Like ECG for example - Watch has only 1 measure point whereas any hospital has around 6-7 (or more). Giving user false positive also creates issues not only for the person but also for the health care system so overall its not a reason to upgrade. Those interested please research it as you will be amazed how much complex the issue truly is and not what Apple wants us to believe.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I am curious about the Braided Solo Loop bands. I love my S4 but it's really annoying how the display turns off when working with patients. Even the tap for 60 seconds feature doesn't work if you have to be upside down... so I'd love to upgrade but I am not sure if these elastic bands would stay put.
Also curious to know how the braided loop bands feel and perform. I switch between a Nike perf'd band and a sport loop, as I like the more substantial feel of the Nike band, but when it's hot out or for workouts, the sport loop seems better, with the exception of the one tab sometimes catching on things and pulling the velcro away.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I simply don’t find the Series 6 a compelling upgrade for anyone with a Series 5 especially, because we have AoD and the current form factor, and even people with the Series 4. I think the Series 6 is less compelling to upgrade over the Series 5 than the Series 5 was over the Series 4. I think it’s a great upgrade for Series 3 and up users.

cicton

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2014
Canada
iOS 14.2 beta 1 and WatchOS 7.1 beta 1 has removed these new faces for me. hopefully they return in the next beta

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Maybe next year...We're still very happy with our SS S4s and there is (still) no incentive to upgrade.

Agreed. I appreciate the S6 chip is a bit faster but doubtful I’d notice it much. Hopefully S7 will offer enough incentive. Also need more relevant features than gimmicks like the blood oxygen sensor.

watchOS 7 is pretty weak as well. Almost feels like a downgrade. All in all it makes for an unexceptional (boring) S6 release.

ArPe

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2020
If you are infected by Covid-19 and it strongly spreads to your lungs your blood oxygen levels can fall rapidly below 80-90%. That can be fatal if prolonged. Having this feature will help people get medical attention urgently if they haven’t already.

Please add that to the article above if you’re wondering why anyone would need this feature.

Last edited:

cloudyo

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2012
If you are infected by Covid-19 and it strongly spreads to your lungs your blood oxygen levels can fall rapidly below 60%. That can be fatal if prolonged. Having this feature will help people get medical attention urgently if they haven’t already.
If your blood oxygen is dangerously low, you'll feel it. It will be so obvious to you that you will not have to check your watch for it.

Also, Apple Watch can only check between 70% and 100%.

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I simply don’t find the Series 6 a compelling upgrade for anyone with a Series 5 especially, because we have AoD and the current form factor, and even people with the Series 4. I think the Series 6 is less compelling to upgrade over the Series 5 than the Series 5 was over the Series 4. I think it’s a great upgrade for Series 3 and up users.
I just got the S6 and am trading in my S5 to Apple. I feel a noticeable speed difference in the S6 when navigating through watch menus. Also setting up the phone and syncing is much faster than my S5. Not that I ever had a problem with the speed of the S5, but there is a difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.