Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
I don't get this Flux thing. It's harder to read black text when the white it's on top of turns brown, or vice versa. Tried it and strained the heck out of my eyes.

Besides, F.lux specifically is really buggy. And if I'm up past 04:00 coding, I want the PC to keep me awake :)
[doublepost=1485322160][/doublepost]
Great idea, however two things:

1) application developers. UPDATE YOUR MENU BAR ICONS. Thank you.
2) Just leave it on all the time! You know what they say about going black... :cool:

Glassed Silver:win
Yes, dark mode looks so much better. I always leave it on.

Reactions: Glassed Silver

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
This is not a feature, it's a gimmick. If people need this then they need to really get a medical checkup. I see no benefit of using this. Just close the lid - no settings required.

kk1ro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Does anyone know the hardware requirements for this?

I know that in iOS it's not supported on older hardware and something tells me it'll be the same in macOS (despite f.lux working on pretty much every machine).

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Buggy f.lux.app can die in a fire

Who hurt you?
[doublepost=1485326622][/doublepost]
It's 2017 and Apple is only now getting around to this.

Apologies for not including this since the beginning of Mac OS, or including this on the Mac right from when we introduced it on the iOS platform. I know, we dropped the ball big time.

- Tim.
[doublepost=1485326685][/doublepost]
Thats crazy... I just installed the Beta; and there is no Night Shift for me. Not in Displays, and no toggle in Today section of Notifications. Also tried telling Siri to turn it on, and Siri responds she is unable to turn it on for my Mac....

What Mac are you on?
[doublepost=1485326789][/doublepost]
i guess i'll have to remember when i'm color correcting my video's to turn it off :p

Some day, they will introduce a 'feature' called exclusion of apps from Night Shift.
[doublepost=1485326884][/doublepost]
Night shift is really stupid.

Oh yes, very. I never even understood the name. I mean, Night Shift? Why would I want to shift the night? What, will my days be 25 or 30 hours if I flick it on?
[doublepost=1485327087][/doublepost]
Only if you don't bother to find out what it's for.

All it takes is a quick search to find out it's not just snake oil.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/q-a-why-is-blue-light-before-bedtime-bad-for-sleep/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4734149/

And I do not think Apple would invest resources in a feature with no documented benefit whatsoever.

Last edited:

ag29

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
I have f.lux, but am happy Apple added this feature. I may switch if I find it better than f.lux

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
I think he is pitting Apple against Apple. When you introduced it in iOS long time ago, why didn't you bring it to the Mac straightaway? That's his grouse, if I am not wrong.

I don't know, didn't we just get Night Shift in the past year on iOS?

M2M

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2009
Does it run on all macs supported by sierra or is Apple using artificial obsolescence to sort out older models ?

Reactions: JamesPDX

Mortis360

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2013
Norway
If this means I don't get artifacts and weird colors when watching videos as f.lux gives me, I'm all in! Have used f.lux for several years now and can't imagine a world without it.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I don't understand this feature, what is the point of it? I couldn't understand it on my iPad and iPhone and disabled it promptly. Is that something BIG..? ;)

Supposedly studies have concluded that blue light suppresses melatonin production at night. it's a personal choice :)

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
It has just been "sherlocked" by Apple...
Well judging by the fact that yet again Apple has decided not to support older Macs, flux will live on.
[doublepost=1485334395][/doublepost]
Does it run on all macs supported by sierra or is Apple using artificial obsolescence to sort out older models ?
Doesn't look like it. My Early 2011 MBP does not have the option. Disappointing. No mention of requirements.
[doublepost=1485335126][/doublepost]
I don't understand this feature, what is the point of it? I couldn't understand it on my iPad and iPhone and disabled it promptly. Is that something BIG..? ;)
It's great when using your phone at night, or after sunset, it isn't as much of a strain on your eyes. I've never turned it off and got used to it. Love F.lux on the mac.

diipii

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
UK
I don't see the point of this.

Spot on. This is symptomatic of the huge cumbersome operating systems we have to endure these days. I recently put Sierra on a late 09 Macbook and it all but ground to a halt. (Not an exaggeration) No warnings or advisory from Apple and only 8GB RAM and an SSD could rectify the situation. OS X should be getting leaner or at least Apple should provide a stripped down express version for those who don't want all the daft cool-to-a-13-year-old features that are multiplying like a plague.

Last edited:
Reactions: 69650 and JamesPDX

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Spot on. This is symptomatic of the huge cumbersome operating systems we have to endure these days. I recently put Sierra on a late 09 Macbook and it all but ground to a halt. (Not an exaggeration) No warnings or advisory from Apple and only 8GB RAM and an SSD could rectify the situation. OS X should be getting leaner or at least Apple should provide a stripped down express version for those who don't want all the daft cool-to-a-13-year-old features that are multiplying like a plague.
I use Sierra on an Early 2011 MBP with 4GB RAM and no SSD, and it works really well. It's not as smooth as Mavericks was, but I've never had any major issues with it. Much better than El Capitan and Yosemite.

Reactions: JamesPDX
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.