Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's March event, held last week, focused on a new sixth-generation iPad aimed at the educational market. The device, which went on sale following the event and became available in retail stores on Friday, is an upgraded version of the fifth-generation iPad with one important new feature - support for the Apple Pencil.

We picked up one of Apple's new $329 tablets over the weekend and tested it out to give MacRumors readers considering a purchase a closer look at the new device.

Design wise, the sixth-generation iPad doesn't look any different from the fifth-generation iPad. It's the same thickness as the original iPad Air (aka thicker than the iPad Pro and the iPad Air 2), and it has the same non-laminated display to keep costs down.

That display is equipped with a new touch sensor, though, which enables it to work with the $99 Apple Pencil. Using the Apple Pencil on the new iPad is essentially identical to using it on an iPad Pro, with the accessory offering a smooth writing experience with no jitters or lag.

Inside, the new iPad is equipped with an A10 Fusion processor, which isn't quite as powerful as the processor in the iPad Pro, Apple's flagship tablet, but it's a solid improvement over the A9 in the fifth-generation model. This is the same processor that's in the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, and it's going to be viable for apps and games for several years to come.

Compared to the iPad Pro, the new iPad has a lower-quality display and lower-quality cameras (8MP vs 12MP at rear, 1.2MP vs 7MP in front) along with the slower processor, but if you don't need those features, the sixth-generation iPad is a fantastic tablet for its price point and an affordable way to get a device with Apple Pencil support.

Apple sells the new iPad for $329, and it's available from the online Apple Store and Apple retail stores. The Apple Pencil is sold separately for $99.

Apple plans to discount the sixth-generation iPad to $299 for schools, which will make it an attractive option. The Apple Pencil will be available for $89, and Logitech also plans to sell a lower-cost Apple Pencil-style stylus called Crayon to schools for $49.

For more information on the new iPad, including a comparison chart that pits it against the 10.5-inch iPad Pro and the fifth-generation iPad, make sure to check out our dedicated iPad roundup.

Article Link: Hands-On With the New Sixth-Generation iPad

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Can't recommend it with only 2GB DRAM when it would probably cost Apple $5 more to increase to 4GB. The $500 iPad Pro 10.5 at Micro Center makes more sense with double the DRAM (4GB vs 2GB), double the storage (64GB vs 32GB) and less likely to be obsolete anytime soon.

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
For cost, I can see folks biting on the 6th gen, but I have a feeling the new 10.5" iPP will smoke this thing in features and speed.

I just want a new iPad mini, Apple!

C'mon, putting an A9 on the mini can't be so difficult!
I bet either the Mini will be discontinued, or it'll only be updated every 2-3 years a la the Mac mini.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
Can you use the Pencil to navigate the iPad instead of using your finger.

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
Can't recommend it with only 2GB DRAM when it would probably cost Apple $5 more to increase to 4GB. The $500 iPad Pro 10.5 at Micro Center makes more sense with double the DRAM (4GB vs 2GB), double the storage (64GB vs 32GB) and less likely to be obsolete anytime soon.

I think expecting 4GB is unrealistic, but 3GB would have been a good compromise. It preserves the differentiation with the Pro and also gives these more longevity. That longevity would have been especially useful for cash-starved schools.

Z3man

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
UK
Yes. Do it all the time.
Thanks, so it must be better using the pencil then.

I have never used the pencil but i can imagine it being easier.

Is there anything you cant do with the pencil that you can do with your finger, i would imagine a single swipe would be ok, but not able to do a double swipe.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I just want a new iPad mini, Apple!

C'mon, putting an A9 on the mini can't be so difficult!

Even if Apple did update the mini, I Think the A9 processor is slightly dated. It’s the same processor used in the iPhone 6s/SE. If they did update the mini , I would like to see the A10 fusion thats shared with the 2018 iPad And perhaps provide Apple Pencil support. And to keep the cost lower, they could include the home button versus implementing Face ID.
[doublepost=1522706068][/doublepost]
When does IPad Pro come out?

There is no specifc date of when an New iPad Pro is going to Launch. The last iPad Pro’s launched during WWDC 2017 in June.

Last edited:

Elwe

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006

Side note—have you checked RAM costs these days?

Main note—Of course, this is just about opinions. But I reasonably strongly disagree. Even if you live close to a Micro Center (and most people do not), you are talking about an increase of ~52%. That is relatively substantial. My feeling is that unless you have the need for what you describe now, live with the performance and capabilities of the lower end iPad for the next couple years. Then check out the new one then; you will still be able to sell this iPad for at least half the cost if you keep it in good shape. And you can better match what you need then.

I guess I now put tablet, smart phone, and smart watches in the same life cycle ranges . . . two (maybe three) years. Seems I am not alone, definitely at least for phones. And with Apple gear, you have some relatively good residuals and software support.

I am still a five plus year kind-of-person for laptops and desktops, though, so I would get more than I currently need for those.

Again, just personal preference but given how fast these devices have iterated compared with laptops and desktops, it makes sense to me.

Reactions: house13um and ikir

cansuds

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2018
Even if Apple did update the mini, I Think the A9 processor is slightly dated. It’s the same processor used in the iPhone 6s/SE. If they did update the mini , I would like to see the A10 fusion thats shared with the 2018 iPad And perhaps provide Apple Pencil support. And to keep the cost lower, they could include the home button versus implementing Face ID.
[doublepost=1522706068][/doublepost]

There is no specifc date of when an New iPad Pro is going to Launch. The last iPad Pro’s launches during WWDC 2017 in June.
I think it's November.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I bet either the Mini will be discontinued, or it'll only be updated every 2-3 years a la the Mac mini.
The mini 4 is already 2.5 years old, and was released with a older generation A8 at that time (but 2GB of RAM, which has kept it usable on ios11).

I do think it’ll be updated; if so I expect it’ll get the reduced-cost display technology of the 2017/2018 iPads, Pencil support and A10, with little else changed. Price could drop from $399 to $349 or so for a 128GB model. A 32GB might be made available at $279-ish but that’s probably wishful thinking, gross margin would probably take a hit.

Hairball

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2007
Near an Apple device
Sad that the four year old iPad Air 2 is still superior.

Nothing to be sad about, the Air 2 is an inferior device. I just sold my Air 2. The new iPad 6 is definitely faster and shows WAY less fingerprints. The anti-glare display is the worst for fingerprints and didn’t really do much for glare.

I did notice the gap in the display immediately due to not being laminated, but the quality of the screen is on par with the Air 2. Definite plus for the addition of the pencil.

Well worth the upgrade. Would do it again if I had to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.