Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released new developer betas of iPadOS 15.4 and macOS Monterey 12.3, and the updated software adds the long awaited and highly anticipated Universal Control feature. We tested out Universal Control, and even in an early beta form, Universal Control is an easy to use and convenient multi-device control option.

To use Universal Control, the iPadOS 15.4 beta and the macOS Monterey 12.3 beta must be installed on your iPad and Mac, respectively. When you update, the feature is enabled by default and should work automatically, but we did run into an issue where we needed to restart the Mac to get it to work.

Settings for Universal Control on the Mac can be found under Displays > Advanced if you want to turn it off for some reason or change the functionality, and on the iPad, you can find the toggle under General > AirPlay & Handoff.

After updating, if you have a Mac and an iPad next to each other, or even multiple Macs and iPads, you can use the keyboard and cursor on one device across all of them. So, for example, if you have a MacBook Pro and an iPad Pro on your desk as we do in our video, the MacBook Pro's trackpad can be used over on the iPad just by swiping across, as can the keyboard. The same is true of the iPad if you have a keyboard attached. Universal Control works between multiple Macs and between multiple Macs and iPads.

You can drag files from the Mac to the iPad and vice versa, but on iPad, you will need to have the appropriate app open. So if you're dragging a photo from Mac to iPad, you need to open Photos -- it can't go on the Home screen. Trackpad gestures for Mac do not appear to work on the iPad, which is also worth noting.

It's an intuitive and simple-to-use feature because you can just swipe right over from one display to the next with no lag or other hindrances. You can use Universal Control on any Mac or iPad that's signed into your iCloud account, and it's a great example of an Apple feature that "just works."

Have you tried out Universal Control? Let us know what you think in the comments.

Article Link: Hands-On With Universal Control in iPadOS 15.4 and macOS Monterey 12.3

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I’m sure over the long haul it will be every bit as reliable as most Apple software that tries to interact across devices.

:cool::p

I can just hear tech-support now…

“are all 3 devices on at least version xx.xx?”
“Have you tried the betas to see if it fixes that?”
“Consider resetting your hardware”
“Have you logged out and back into iCloud?”
“Is Bluetooth on?”

fernelius

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2007
The article suggests this feature will work between two iPads without a Mac present. Is this true? This wasn’t what I understood from WWDC but would be great. I can have a book open on my iPad Mini alongside my iPad Pro 11 with two apps and be working from the Magic Keyboard with both!

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
I’m sure over the long haul it will be every bit as reliable as most Apple software that tries to interact across devices.

“Is Bluetooth on?”
Went through that with bookmarks not syncing across all of my devices, the support rep asked to screen share. After all of the things you mentioned, she started to question my bookmark folders. It was weird. :rolleyes:

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Game changing if this works especially with having an iMac and MacBook. Sidecar and the current displaying settings are terrible with scaling different devices so I rarely use those functions.

Last edited:

Seoras

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
THIS is the feature I've waited years for. I always have my iPad Pro sitting in front of my iMac when I'm working. I'm a developer.
The number of times I start typing on my magic keyboard only to realise that I need to use the iPad's keyboard.
Now with this I can use one keyboard and my magic trackpad for both devices.
...and my iPhone?

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
The article suggests this feature will work between two iPads without a Mac present. Is this true? This wasn’t what I understood from WWDC but would be great. I can have a book open on my iPad Mini alongside my iPad Pro 11 with two apps and be working from the Magic Keyboard with both!

I took this out of the article. We didn't test this specifically, so I'm not sure that's accurate. I'll test it and re-add if it's right, but otherwise, sorry for the confusion.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Can this work between Macs signed into different iCloud accounts? At work my desk iMac is signed into my work iCloud account, and my laptop is signed into my personal one. I'd love to be able to UC between them, but am not willing to sign into my personal account on my work iMac.

fernelius

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2007
Why do you need to be on iCloud? Will it only work with files that are on iCloud?

If so, it's useless to me.
I think the devices just need to be signed-in to the same iCloud account. This validates they belong to the same user and are reasonably entitled to access one another’s files, control, etc. I suspect (but haven’t installed to check) that files can be located locally, in iCloud, or in some other accessible location.

Halopend

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
I would put it more as a use case that’s unexpected but welcome.

The only thing really killing its practicality is that everything Hass to be on the same iCloud account. I hope eventually they allow this between family members

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I would imagine the same iCloud account, considering file transfer.

Geesh, how long did we wait for this? I was pretty sure it was DITW. I'm happy.

But it's pretty cool, having the iCloud synced in this way. Sort of like a culmination of different tech.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Jan 9, 2022

“Is Bluetooth on?”
From what I seen on reddit and on Twitter. It looks like UC is working flawlessly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.