Happy Mac Pro '08 Owners!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Cromas, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Cromas macrumors member

Cromas

I read a lot problems with the mac pro here... happy owners tell you happy comments!!! :)

2. GotPro macrumors 6502

3. tivoli2 macrumors regular

tivoli2

I am a happy owner. No rebooting from wake issues, no graphics weirdness, I love how much more full my music sounds with the digital optical output (wasn't expecting that... nice little surprise) - when my ACD 23" gets here, I think I may just be impossibly happy. Computer-wise, that is. :)

4. Cromas thread starter macrumors member

Cromas

cool, Iam waiting

cool I awainting for my mac pro not yet comming, 2.8 8800gt 500gb airport extreme and wireless keyboard and mouse, I HOPE be a happy owner without problems! :)

5. Soop53 macrumors regular

Soop53

Very Happy! Too bad I waited so long to come back to Mac. The Pro is a work-of-art!

6. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Ditto that - no problems here!

A friend of mine has also commented how much better the music sounds form the optical output on his new MP. I have not had the pleasure of doing that yet.

7. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I had expected to have more problems then I had (just a wake from sleep problem that was fixed by a PRAM/SMU reset). I installed 2 HDs, added 2 sticks of RAM, set up timemachine, bootcamped XP, installed CS3 and every program from my previous Mac — including quicksilver, which all work flawlessly. I'm but happy and a little surprised!

8. em5photog macrumors regular

em5photog

I am a very happy macpro user I have a new octo 2.8 and I have knock on wood none of the problems with it that others have had. It has been rock solid from day one . I also added 2 gigs of ramjet ram and that has been perfect as well.

9. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I'm as happy s a clam with my MP quad 2.8
    I love this machine, the best I've ever owned.

10. exabrial macrumors member

+1 happy owner.

Remember the 15:1 rule, 15 people complain, 1 person complements. Also, this is the nature of a support board, lots of complaints. With 8 replies, the 15:1 rule means there are 120 happy replies

11. hc10m macrumors newbie

This is the Greatest Computer I have ever own in 10 years

I really love this New Mac Pro 2008, and was surprised when it was upgraded all to 8 cores. So I went out and bought it right away without thinking and not regret ever after. Compared to my iMac(isight) G5 2.1, this machine is about 5 to 10 times faster depending on applications. Ripping DVD to iPod high quality in Popcorn 3 used to take 4 hours in iMac G5 2.5 years old, but this 8 core monster just took 27 minutes, can you believe it? And besides, I just ordered 2 more of 2600XT, together driving my 6 24inch HP w2408h gorgeous clearbright monitors for my finance business. When booted into windows xp, I cofigured 2 of them to be crossfired and it worked flawlessly, with 3dmark06 demo increased from 4963 to 9231 about 86% increase! Anyone try this machine if it work in SLI for 2 8800GT, please let me know as I plan to upgrade after the prices coming down. Thank you for sharing your joy and may everyone having fun using the Best Prosumer Computer in the market.................

Roger

12. djjclark macrumors regular

Happy with my quad 2.8. added hard drive, 2 sticks of ram and windows xp home. Only problem was a bad memory riser that was swapped out in a days time.

13. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Before buying my 2x2.8 / 8800 I was convinced I'd end up getting a bad machine, but I haven't had a single problem except one kernel panic while trying to close the iMovie app while ripping a DVD with Handbrake.

I bought 6GB of RAM from OWC and so I have a total of 8GB. Everything is cool so far.

One caveat is that I immediately set sleep options to "Never" so I haven't had the reboot after waking problem... it's perfect otherwise and I'd rather not get unnecessarily depressed.

14. Ploki macrumors 68000

not a single problem :)
    its a great machine, it works better than i anticipated... i cant get enough of it, ive been on the computer 8hours a day since i bought it.
    got my DAW pretty much setup and running :) its great...
    working is like a breeze here, i can let my creativity fly ... :)

it goes to sleep fine, it wakes up fine, everything works like a charm ! i love it. :D

15. awad macrumors member

16. TKEik683 macrumors member

I am extremely happy with mine. Just got my 8800GT installed and running a couple days ago.

I just wish I didnt have such an urge to replace my iBook G4 with a new MBA..

ARGH!
    Dave

17. tugger macrumors regular

tugger

Joy

Excellent machine. Mine came with the Optiarc 7170A DVD-RW drive which was totally flakey. With a single call to AppleCare they overnighted me a Panasonic 112D as a DIY replacement. Joy.

Originally I ordered the 2x2.8 from Apple with the 8800GT, but gave up waiting and went for for a terrific price on the stock model from Amazon. Even with the 2600XT, the machine screams. XP Pro via Boot Camp runs great, and UT3 plays smooth as butter. I have no complaints at all.

As pi**ed as I was at Apple for my G5's logicboard going belly-up after only 4 years (my 1999 G4 Sawtooth is still happily serving up files), the quality and performance of the new MP mostly renewed my loyalty to the company. Hopefully this will be borne out over the long-haul.

18. khosna macrumors member

Couldn't be happier. the best built machine I have ever bought.

19. wafl iron macrumors regular

everything works great,

only complaint i have are a couple leopard bugs that ive encountered, also the wireless mighty mouse started acting really weird one time. i had to turn it off and plug in an old wired mouse.

great computer though

20. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Another positive way to think about it (I use this logic with the iPhone) -- and this maybe be kind of backwards to some, but:

Every other PC (or cell phone) you buy from now on, for the rest of your lives, will only be better, cheaper, stronger, faster. In 5 years time, these things will be at a garage sale, in 10 years - a museum.

If you think how fast this stuff is evolving, just wait :)

21. MDangerous macrumors member

I have a Quad 2.8 and I'm happy. I came from a 867 MHz PowerBook.

Encoding a Flash video:
    867 MHz PB: 1.5 hours - 2 Hours
    Quad 2.8 GHz MP: 11 mins

22. jahbones macrumors newbie

Besides one random mass program closure, I could not be more pleased with my new system:

-Octo 2.8
    -6gb Ram
    -320gb Internal + 500gb LaCie eSATA
    -8800GT Video
    -24" + 21" dual displays

I am constantly running 4 spaces (pseudo 8 on two displays) with SPSS, Word, Safari, Entourage, Photoshop, streaming audio, and Acrobat all running at once. Moving between the spaces is flawless, and I have yet to see a pause in any of the programs.

JAH

23. Shelton macrumors member

I got my Mac Pro around 8 days ago, and it has been pretty awesome. I've been on vacation for that time, so I have been using it for probably at least 12 hours a day (Gotta love vacation). It has been flawless. I have had no crashes or issues. I have added an IDE hard drive and an external USB HD. The stock Seagate hard drive is a bit slow, but no slower than any of my other hard drives laying around, so it will hold me over until I get a Spinpoint F1. If I could do it over, I would have gotten the 320 and just bought another HD.

I have:
    2x 2.8ghz
    2GB Ram
    500GB HD
    8800GT
    Wifi

I have downloaded well over 100 gigs of stuff, and played my fair share of Crysis, COD 4, and now Bioshock (which is a pretty crappy game, imho) and the Mac Pro runs them all beautifully. I can't even begin to slow it down with processor intensive tasks. This is, without a doubt, the fastest computer I have ever used.

In all honesty, I was a little shocked I couldn't push it further. Even when I throw everything I have at it, I can barely get the CPU usage above 60%.

24. gibbz macrumors 68030

See specs in sig. I absolutely love mine and have no issues whatsoever.

25. alongcamejones macrumors newbie

A Happy Camper

I have had my MacPro 2.8 Octo for 3 weeks and I love this machine! Quiet as a mouse and as strong as a bull. Looking forward to several years of good times.