Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
It feels like it’s Android now. Half assed 3D Touch.
Reminds me of jailbreak tweaks for the iPhone 6 and older.
just about everything 3D touch could do can be done with long touch. 3D touch was a gimmick from the start to claim "innovation"
Was it a gimmick if I used it daily and absolutely loved it? And I'm sure I have users on this forum to back me up on that.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
My ‘work’ iPhone is the 8 Plus. Let me tell ya😁....

I use 3D Touch everyday. Peek/Pop for notifications/emails/third party apps/photos, ect. It’s a brilliant feature. The problem with 3D Touch on why it failed.....was because Apples lack there of marketing. Most consumers had no idea what 3D was or how to use it. And for those who actually understood 3D and how to execute it, appreciated for everything it had to offer. Apple dropped the ball per se, because if they actually had taken more initiative to make 3D Touch marketed properly, I think it would have had a larger welcoming of its intended features.

e1me5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus
3D Touch has been almost deactivated with ios13 on all devices that support it. In safari for example, a stronger press on link doesn’t open it, it only stays at the preview window and it doesn’t matter how hard or long you touch the icons of the apps, it still activates the time extra menus the same time it needs with a very light touch. Apple paves the way to make us forget 3D Touch existed. Stronger press on the keyboard activated the cursor though and it’s the only thing I will miss.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
just about everything 3D touch could do can be done with long touch. 3D touch was a gimmick from the start to claim "innovation"
Many things can be done, but by far not everything. And even quite a bit of what can be done often enough is done in a more awkward/limited/slower way.

Jimmy Bubbles

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Nashville, TN
3D Touch has been almost deactivated with ios13 on all devices that support it. In safari for example, a stronger press on link doesn’t open it, it only stays at the preview window and it doesn’t matter how hard or long you touch the icons of the apps, it still activates the time extra menus the same time it needs with a very light touch. Apple paves the way to make us forget 3D Touch existed. Stronger press on the keyboard activated the cursor though and it’s the only thing I will miss.
What iOS 13 have you been using? Mine gives a preview when I 3D Touch a link.

• Angry
Reactions: Wide opeN

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You can still have the keyboard cursor with Haptic Touch, just with a long press on the spacebar.
Something the article leaves out: The best part of moving the cursor with 3D touch... selecting words! It wasn't just about moving the cursor, but pressing deeper as you hover over words to highlight them.
Supposedly that's still there with Haptic Touch in a somewhat different fashion: using a second finger/hand to it.

• Love
Reactions: asdex and jezbd1997

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne - Australia
Upgraded from a 7 to 11 Pro and it’s hardly taken any time to get used to haptic touch. It actually works each time instead of guessing if it’s going to work or not, the way you want it to.
There’s enjoyment of the physical press via 3D Touch but it was mostly a gimmick.
I still have my 7 on iOS 12 to keep 3D Touch as it is and I guess time will tell if haptic touch has fully replaced it.

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011
Haptic touch is absolute garbage in general, had to do such a long press, not to mention activating icon / app arrangement is horrendously bad with it.

So many times I wish I can do right click / selection on mail app, it did Haptic open instead. 3D Touch allows me to press down to activate it, Haptic touch will trigger as long as your finger is on it.

Feels like a downgrade in iOS 13, with all these instability problems.

huschpuscheli

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
i always liked 3d touch. however, i thought it was counterintuitive to press down on a ui element which then pops back towards me.

Reactions: mikeleeuk

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Its a shame Peek & Pop was removed in iOS 13
It’s just worse now. Often times when I tap on a link in Safari it will automatically open up in app (if I have the app installed). Even long pressing on the link still opens in-app. As far as I know there’s no way to have the default be open in Safari. And when you do long press on a URL it takes forever for the preview to load. So annoying.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Many things can be done, but by far not everything. And even quite a bit of what can be done often enough is done in a more awkward/limited/slower way.

I gave up 3D touch last year when I got my Xr. Don't miss it one bit, and the haptic touch changes in iOS 13 make it even all the better. Don't really find it awkward or slower, if anything less awkward to me not having to press into the glass screen.

Reactions: FlyingDutch

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Not sure I understand this comment. 3D Touch on devices that have 3D Touch hasn't been disabled or turned off by default, so of course it's still available. The portion about the Accessibility menu is for devices with Haptic Touch, not 3D Touch.

3D Touch is still intact and hasn't turned into Haptic Touch on 3D Touch devices, but Apple has changed the 3D Touch gestures that can be performed and mirrored what can be done with Haptic Touch.
Really? 3D Touch on my XS running iOS 13 betas was never as good as it was with iOS 12.
[automerge]1569972230[/automerge]
BS. It was way better than long press.

jdoyle

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
I’m an iPhone 8 Plus user ( by choice over newer iPhones) Can anyone confirm that they have crippled 3D Touch now and made it one level the same as haptic touch on iOS 13? I have been playing with it for a while. I can’t seem to do any second levels of touch anymore. I just get one level. It’s not a feature that I used much but it annoys me that they would cripple a feature I have over newer phones with software. Anyone else notice this?

Reactions: Wide opeN

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Really? 3D Touch on my XS running iOS 13 betas was never as good as it was with iOS 12.
[automerge]1569972230[/automerge]

BS. It was way better than long press.

i guess for you it is. Do you have the setting set to fast touch for the haptic? I'd like to see video comparisons, but there doesn't seem to be any difference in speed to me.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Supposedly that's still there with Haptic Touch in a somewhat different fashion: using a second finger/hand to it.
Right. A worse option. If Apple is going to take away a feature they need to replace it with something as good/better.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
i guess for you it is. Do you have the setting set to fast touch for the haptic? I'd like to see video comparisons, but there doesn't seem to be any difference in speed to me.
Yes it is set to fast. I just get annoyed when people call 3D Touch a gimmick or claim that it’s just a long press. That’s not true. Don’t like 3D Touch? Fine. But it’s not just long press at all. And for those of us who liked it, haptic touch is a regression. Both Jason Snell and Myke Hurley said the same on the Upgrade podcast.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
This whole discoverability nonsense is just that, nonsense. How is long press any more discoverable than 3D Touch? It’s not and never was. And all the Android fanboys who laughed at 3D Touch as nothing more than long press with feedback...sorry it’s not the same at all. Haptic Touch is no replacement for 3D Touch. Gruber thinks they got rid of it so they could put bigger batteries in the phones. I think it’s because the new mainstream iPhone (XR and now 11) was never going to get it for cost reasons and Apple didn’t want to support it just for the pro models. Oh and it’s probably saving them a few bucks too which Tim Cook would approve of.
No doubt it was for cost reasons. Would Apple pass on any of the savings to the consumer? Of course not. Prices for the 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max remain exactly the same, and the 2015 6s had 3D Touch and cost less than the 11 (non-Pro) does now...

Increasing prices and/or decreasing value of Apple products has been the trend lately. The removal of 3D Touch fits perfectly with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.