Hardshell or naked?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozreth, Jan 12, 2010.

?

Hardshell or Naked?

1. Hardshell

29 vote(s)
    22.1%
  2. Naked

102 vote(s)
    77.9%
  1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Simple question. Just wondering how many people protect their macbooks with a hardshell and how many flaunt it naked?

I have always used a hardshell on mine, but on my new MBP I have been itching to tote it naked. Its just so beautiful! But I am SO terrified of scratches.

How does everybody else feel?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
  3. Surely Guest

Surely

Same. My new MBP looks too nice to cover up.

My late 2007 MB (which I'm giving to my mother when she gets to LA) still looks brand new.

I know it's not a case, but I do have a Moshi Palmguard on my MBP.

4. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Do you ever get frustrated having to take caution every time you move it?

5. vant macrumors 65816

No?

6. Surely Guest

Surely

I know you directed your question at jmann, but no, I don't ever get frustrated having to take caution every time I move it. I just generally take very good care of my things, especially my expensive things.

7. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I wanted to trust her naked but I can't in college. Recently I took her top off but had to leave her bottoms on to protect her on the auditorium desks, crumby tables and counters, and what ever else is on our couch. It is very easy for dust and debris to get in her crevices, you know?

8. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

That is one of my concerns, but the knobs on the bottom should help protect against that, no?

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Hardcase for life. May add a little bulk but I havn't taken extreme care of my MBP while it's in the case and I have zero scratches. I don't know how to say it any other way. ~1.7 years and not one scratch. Two genii have commented on how clean it is as i've had to bring it in for some logic board issues recently. The outer shell of my incase is scratched up pretty good and there's some sort of sticky brew it's bottom.

10. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

I used a clear hardshell for a while. It started looking ugly after a bit, and added bulk and weight. I've had it off for six months or so, and still don't have a single scratch.

11. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

does yours travel a bit or no?

12. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

I move it around a lot. If I go any distance it's in a padded bag.

13. knarzie macrumors regular

naked macbook, naked iphone, naked bikes, naked women

nekkid nekkid nekkid all the way

14. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Never liked or used any kind of case for laptops, mobile phones etc. I am going to replace it in two years anyway. If it's gonna be scratched or bumped, so be it.

15. tooz macrumors 6502

naked all the way....

(and for my macbook, usually a sleeve.;))

16. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

I put a hardshell on mine. I also have put one of those leather bras on the front of my porsche for full-time use. When I buy furniture for my house, I never take off the plastic that covers the leather because I don't want to gunk them up. I splurged on some expensive (and very beautiful!) persian rugs, but I can't bare to walk on them so I put a tarp on top of them. Finally, I wrap all my silverware in saran wrap.

Can't be too careful these days.

17. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't use any hard shell on my MBP. I think it detracts from the nice lines and looks of the MBP while not offering too much protection. That is I will not protect it from dents and some hard cases have actually scratched the case.

19. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Naked as well :D Putting a cover on ruins the sexiness of the thing

20. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

I have had a Speck hard shell on my mid 2007 17" MBP since the day I bought it. Guess what? It still looks BRAND NEW. Not a scratch or a blemish on it. When my GPU died (don't get me started) the genius commented on how pristine the machine looked, like it had never been used. I made sure he noted that on the repair order :D

21. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Naked with an incase sleeve for travel.
    It'll get scratched up I'm sure, but if you take care of it it should be fine.

22. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

For those of you who roll naked, how do you feel about resale value? For instance, getting some good cash for your MPB before you go splurge on a new one.

23. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I thought the "knobs" were on the top part... ??? :p (sorry, I couldn't resist)

Are we still talking about computers here?

For the OP, we use our 17" MPB without any protective hard case. However, when not being used it is put in a protective soft sleeve so as to avoid any accidents. With small children and pets in the house you can't be too careful. We are the machines second owners and the original operator did keep a hard case on it. The machine was slightly scratched by the case in certain spots, but otherwise it looks great. If you don't want to rock the hard case then just be smart about protecting it. Accidents can happen anywhere, anytime and, case or not, damage can be done. As far as resale value goes I'm not concerned. I do my best to protect the machine, but if the unforeseen accident happens to give it some scratches then resale will take a slight hit. However, I tend to keep my machines for quite a long time and when/if I decide to sell at upgrade then I will get what I can get at that time.

24. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

I have a speck case on my 13" MBP. It's black and contrasts the aluminum casing well.

I'm conscious of the aesthetic appeal of my MBP and, therefore, voted for hardshell case! I know scratches are inevitable, but I'll use a case to prevent as many imperfections as I can :cool:

Good poll!

Habitus :apple:

25. coast1ja macrumors 6502