Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A rather misleading thread title; when I clicked on it, I initially assumed that Harley-Davidson were shutting their operations as neither the thread title, nor the initial post, made clear just what was happening.

I had to click on the links to find out; before clicking on any link, I like to know a little about what I am about to see, or read.

Anyway, while it is regrettable, it is also an inevitable consequence of falling sales. Such are the rules of the market.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I think part of their sales problem is an image problem. Whenever I think of Harley Davidson. I think old man bike or scrungy meth dealer bike. Neither of which appeals to me.

Prices also don't make too much sense. They have far fewer parts than cars. Yet many of the models cost more than a low end car.

Personally, I also find them to be too large. I much prefer the slimmer and lighter designs of the mid to early 20th century.

Euroamerican

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
Boise
I am sorry to hear that there will be Americans in the heartland who are losing their jobs. I think Harley needs to eventually figure out a newer, fresher way to meld both the iconic look and attitude and a brighter less off-putting, dare I say "quieter" image.

I have to say that Harley, in general, evokes a feeling of antipathy in me. The loudness and "f-you, if you don't like it" attitude plus the crazy pricing putting the bikes into the hands of wanna-bee tough guys driving on the weekends when they are not at the mid-upper corporate/professional job; really generates some dislike.

While I think that putting bright lights and colors on the motorcycles might evoke a feeling of Philippines Jitneys, way-out lowrider south-of-the-border, or mega-weird transformer/manga/whatever Asian look; something has to be done to appeal to the future riders.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I am sorry to hear that there will be Americans in the heartland who are losing their jobs. I think Harley needs to eventually figure out a newer, fresher way to meld both the iconic look and attitude and a brighter less off-putting, dare I say "quieter" image.

I have to say that Harley, in general, evokes a feeling of antipathy in me. The loudness and "f-you, if you don't like it" attitude plus the crazy pricing putting the bikes into the hands of wanna-bee tough guys driving on the weekends when they are not at the mid-upper corporate/professional job; really generates some dislike.

While I think that putting bright lights and colors on the motorcycles might evoke a feeling of Philippines Jitneys, way-out lowrider south-of-the-border, or mega-weird transformer/manga/whatever Asian look; something has to be done to appeal to the future riders.

Yes, that is another thing I dislike with Harleys. I'd love one with a slim retro design which is whisper quiet. Such as a Model 125. With a modernized engine for better fuel efficiency, cleaner burning and a quiet exhaust. Perhaps an aluminum block to reduce weight.

I don't see the need for some giant engine and heavy frame. Just something fun to pop around on. Which doesn't break the bank.

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
V-Rods were never popular with die hard HD crowd. Harley dudes are devoted to the brand and the culture and the V-Rod was a departure with a water cooled engine. Nothing wrong with that, but it is not my choice. Been riding Honda Interceptors since '83, which have evolved into "Sport Tourers" but still lean towards the Sport side. I enjoy ripping through the twisty backroads, not cruising on the interstates.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Damn millennials killing yet another industry. :mad:

;)

On a serious note, I feel for the workers. I also don't know how they've lasted this long, it seems like the cultural appreciation of non-sport (I hate sports bikes) motorcycles has been in a major decline.

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016
A rather misleading thread title; when I clicked on it, I initially assumed that Harley-Davidson were shutting their operations as neither the thread title, nor the initial post, made clear just what was happening.

I had to click on the links to find out; before clicking on any link, I like to know a little about what I am about to see, or read.

Anyway, while it is regrettable, it is also an inevitable consequence of falling sales. Such are the rules of the market.
?????????????????????
Trump says its not true and he has never been known to lie...right/

Reactions: ignatius345

Allyance

Contributor
Sep 29, 2017
East Bay, CA
I don't know diddly about bikes. All I know about Harley is my cousin recently started work for them as a project manager. He's not allowed to talk about what he's doing there, but he's an engineer whose specialty is batteries. Feel free to speculate.
They have been working on a pure electric bike for several years, due to release LiveWire bike next year.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Most of Harley's issues stemmed from Honda giving them a beating in the cruisers department. Higher MSRPs, higher parts costs, and other issues that plagued a company that didn't want to get with the times.

Most California cities dumped their HD bikes for Hondas and BMWs. Faster, lighter, and cheaper parts.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I think part of their sales problem is an image problem. Whenever I think of Harley Davidson. I think old man bike or scrungy meth dealer bike. Neither of which appeals to me.

Prices also don't make too much sense. They have far fewer parts than cars. Yet many of the models cost more than a low end car.

Personally, I also find them to be too large. I much prefer the slimmer and lighter designs of the mid to early 20th century.

See when I think of HD, I think "60 year old dentist" or "Rich kid trying too hard".

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
what ever the demographic; there are less and less of them willing to get out and ride when they can just get into the grocery getter and roll down the windows.

Reactions: oldhifi

ejb190

macrumors 65816
I used to ride bicycles a lot. Due to neck and wrist problems, I ride a recumbent trike now - and I'm hardly alone on the trails. I see more and more bents and trikes every year.

In a similar vein, I see more CanAm's and Slingshots on the road. HD's customer demographic is changing and they haven't kept up with their needs.

Reactions: Digger148

ShinySteelRobot

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Upper Left Corner, USA
Years ago I was told by a Harley rider that part of the reason for the noise is for safety.

Back in Austin I once saw an elderly lady in a car make a left turn in front of an oncoming Harley rider who was going straight through the intersection on a green light. He slammed on the brakes and even had to lay over the bike rather than crash directly into the passenger side of her car. Luckily he and the bike avoided a collision and escaped death, but not without some severe scrapes/rash.

The old lady never saw him, and simply drove off like nothing happened, so I guess the engine noise doesn't always help with safety.

Booch21

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
I think part of their sales problem is an image problem.
This sums it up. HD's core buyer is getting older. Young people are not buying motorcycle's and if they are, they are buying sport bikes. HD just doesn't have enough appeal to the 18-25 group.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I'm an avid motorcyclist and run with a lot of motorcycle circles.

I know multiple people switching from Harley to other brands. I don't know a single person doing the opposite.

Same for police agencies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.