Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by leekohler, Nov 21, 2010.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Surprised no thread has been started about this yet.

Saw the film this afternoon and whoa- not a movie for young kids. While I was impressed with it, this is an adult film. It is frightening and bleak. There is none of the childhood whimsy we have come to expect from these films. It is very serious.

That said, I liked it a lot and was surprised the studio let them get away with it. Kudos to David Yates for staying true to the source. The kids are not kids anymore, they are adults dealing with some serious adult issues.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It was extremely good, just not for young kids. Hermione gets tortured in one scene that is quite disturbing. That's when the dad with his 5+ year old twin sons in front of me left the movie.

But yes, I thought it was really impressive.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I can't wait to see it! I am hearing some damn good reviews about it.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Very, very good. You won't be disappointed.

6. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

I haven't seen the one before this(half blood prince I believe), but I went to the midnight release of this one. Very good. And I agree, it wasn't much of a kid film like the beginning ones. This movie is serious business.

7. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I'm taking my 14 year old nephew to see it next weekend. Can't wait :)

8. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I saw it at the Arclight and it was freaking amazing. I agree, DEFINITELY not a kids movie.

I love love love how true they stayed to the film. Applause to everyone that worked on it. I was very impressed with the way they told the story of the three hallows. I can't wait to go see it a second time.

9. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

I'm going to watch it tomorrow.
    I'm not expecting much as I'm a die hard fan of the books and I didn't like the movies so much except the first two. I felt the 3rd, 4th and the 5th movies omitted a lot of information, instead of making the film a little bit longer. When I heard they omitted Dobby in the fourth movie I was like :eek:.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Does this idiot not know what PG-13 means?? :mad:

If he asked for his money back, I hope they refused him.

11. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

It was just another Chapter in the phenomenal let down that has been 2010.

12. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I saw it on Friday, and all I can say is that it was amazing.

Yes, it wasn't a kid movie, as the series was originally supposed to be. But, really, after Prisoner of Azkaban, the movies stopped being kid-friendly. This was, in my opinion, the darkest of the movies, as well as the most entertaining.

When I saw it (Around 7:30 PM on Friday night), there were a bunch of kids (Less than 11 I'd say) around, and I felt that the movie wasn't right for them. This movie probably stayed the most consistent with the books though.

And I loved the little animation scene with the Deathly Hallows storytelling. Totally unexpected, but a nice surprise.

The semi-nude scene with Granger and Potter was also a surprise. But, it fit in well with the rest of the movie, I thought.

13. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

But also, a kid who saw the first movie when it was released in 2001 as a ten year old should be fine today

14. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Easily one of my favourite scenes in the movie. Overall, it was really quite amazing. They only cut what seemed unnecessary for the movie, and i mostly agree with their decisions.

Also, Dobby's last scene was quite saddening. Must have been difficult for Radcliffe to be so emotional over something that wasn't even in his arms while filming.

15. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

That was a really good scene. I really liked this one a lot.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Sounds intriguing to me Lee. :cool:

Not having seen even one, perhaps I'll start with this one, and regress into each of the others. lol

18. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

The first few are quite mediocre. They're fun, but the special effects are horrendous. They get progressively better.

You may be very lost if you haven't seen the others or read the books.

19. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I had seen them but not paid much attention to the story. So over the last few weeks, MacDawg (who has read all the books and seen all the movies way more than once) and I watched them all and he explained everything to me, even including things in the books that were left out of the movies. It was a lot of fun and helped me to appreciate this one. As we were leaving he said that it bugged him that he couldn't pause the movie and explain things to me.

I agree that the Deathly Hallows storytelling was a treat.

My son is 8 and over the last few days watched all the movies again. However, I have to say that I doubt I will bother with taking him to this one. Some of the scenes would be disturbing to him and he would get bored with it as well. But it's not a big deal to him so it's not to me either. When he's a little older and can appreciate it, I'm sure we'll do the whole experience over.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

That's the idea. By the time I finish, I might have the mind of a 7-year-old.

Looks for a black n' white critter in the bush.

My very own massive Memento. ;)

21. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Ah- I see. :)

22. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

I loved this film.

Also LOVED the animated sequence for the three hollows story, nice touch.

Every Harry Potter movie has used a fantastic technique in portraying flashbacks and stories, this was the best way to tell a fable, for those in the know, the same way in which many tales were animated in the past, using silhouettes.

I als agree with the comments on this movie not being suitable for children.

In the UK it is a 12A which means adults can take their children to see it, but i do harshly judge those who take their under 12s to see this film as i does contain far from childlike themes and images.

23. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I've never read a single Harry Potter book or watched a Harry Potter film...

...but while working for a few years at one job in Kings Cross, I walked right past and next to Platform 9 3/4 every evening.

[​IMG]

24. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Was that kiss between Emma and Daniel really all dat? She's hot.

25. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

That's definitely one of the reasons this was not a kid movie. That surprised me more than anything else.

The movie wasn't all doom and gloom. There were a few parts of laughs.