Has anyone bought the 40Gig PS3?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by gkarris, Nov 5, 2007.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^I think its the same as the 60;).....four of my friends picked up the 40 so far and it looks exactly the same except the the silver finish.

Bless

3. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Can't play PS2 games, though...

4. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Me! The price had hit a sweet spot...and I only paid $299 plus tax.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Doesn't really matter.....people that got it knows that so I'm sure they will be alright.

Its all about the PSN games(really good games) and PS3 games(starting to really pick up)

Bless

6. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Their new commercials are about 100000x better than the old ones...saw a couple different ones during the 3 football games I watched yesterday.

I'll buy one next year for sure.
    I still really really want Heavenly Sword even though idiots, erm "reviewers" generally panned it as 'average'. :D

7. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

Next year is 2 months away.

Getting one around my birthday in Jan...

8. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

True but I didn't say "when". :D

Most likely I'll live without it 'til GoW3 which (according to the rumor column in EGM) will be the holiday season next year...according to them, BOTH GoW sequels will hit around that time (Gears of War 2, God of War 3).

So...a year from now most likely. ;)

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

10. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I might be getting it in a month or two. Along with ratchet+clank, warhawk, and motorstorm :D.

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Really cool....you'll be a 3 console man by then.....grab yourself a copy of warhawk and get owned by yours truly:D

Bless

12. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Yeah i'm getting one on payday this Friday.

The 65nm chip (less heat, more efficient) attracts me, the lack of PS2 compatibility really REALLY doesn't bother me, as I have and love my very own PS2. I don't care for memory cards, and I have plenty of Ethernet cables lying around to compensate for the lack of included cable.

I'll probably hook myself up with Motorstorm, and Warhawk first of all.

Recommend me a third?

13. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Ratchet and Clank, CoD4 and Uncharted (which is out this tuesday) all are garnering solid review.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

R&C and Unchartered aren't breaking into the 90+% ratings but fans seem to like them. COD4 seems to be ploughing ahead.

15. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I got it at Best Buy with Spiderman 3 Blu-ray and five free mail-in. Love it! Are you sure I can't play PS2 games? Anyway, I got it for the DVD upconvert because I have a 1080P LCD. Brilliant!

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I guess if they don't accumulate over 90% then the game suck then:rolleyes:.
    fatsoforgotso....Uncharted, COD4 & RnC are great games...HS is good to but as they say its on the short side...PSN game: Everyday shooter.

Bless

17. mosx macrumors 65816

Oppo upscaling DVD player for $150 will make the PS3 look like a $29 Wal-Mart DVD player ;)

18. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Not quite. The PS3's upscaler is actually quite impressive. And I had an Oppo DV-971 and still have the newest Samsung one. I think the PS3 upscaling looks better than both....which honestly really surprised me. Now, from what I've read, the Oppo DV-981HD is probably one of the best low cost upscaling players out there. But there's still no way you would find it for under $200. Regardless, upscaling is still worlds behind true hd (Blu-ray or HD-DVD)...which the PS3 also has.

19. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

He was probably talking about when the PS3 was first released. There have been software upgrades since then...

20. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

I picked up a 40gig along with Assassins Creed, and so far im loving it. Going from a 360 to a PS3 was really nice, so much quieter. Compared to my roommates 360 and Assassin Creed hands down it looks better on my PS3. I have downloaded several demos and i think i have 26gigs free, with hard drives prices so low i may upgrade within a few months. The one thing i dont like is how light the controller is, im looking forward to the Dualshock 3 being released. I say go for it :D

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Interesting, isn't it? All the COD fans I know seem disappointed with COD4, with complaints of the game being too short and multiplayer being just okay...meanwhile, PS3 fans love R&C. Reviews give COD4 the higher score though.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Check Praxis's ^ comment for the explanation.
    Seems to me that PS3 owners are going ape and can't find faults with the 2 exclusive games, but COD4 with it's problems steams ahead. That's all it is.

23. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Tell me about it. I've been downloading a ton of demos and can foresee my 40GB drive being filled up. It's nice that the drive is super easy to replace, though. I'm wondering...is there a way to easily clone the PS3 drive so I can put all of the data from the stock drive onto the new drive? Regardless, it will still be a long while before I get to the point where I want/need to replace the drive.

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm curious why this is the case though. Are the reviewers are knocking off points just because the game is PS3 exclusive? Is COD is getting bonus points just by franchise history? Are PS3 fans just making a big deal of R&C because they have nothing else to play ( :p )? I doubt the last one, as even the COD4 fans I know that don't have PS3's don't seem to consider it all it is hyped to be.

25. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I don't know who you're talking to… all of the CoD4 fans I know LOVE Call of Duty 4. It's taken over Halo 3 as the most often played game on my friends list.