iPhone XS Max Has anyone complemented you on your XS Max?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ffosse, Oct 5, 2018.

1. AppleB macrumors 6502a

AppleB

I haven’t gotten phone compliments since the iPhone 1 to 4S days.
    Prior to that when you could actually see what a phone looked like it was the Motorola V60 and Motorola Razr days which was early 2000’s I think.

To the uninitiated the Max looks like 7 or 8 Plus from the back.

2. Ffosse thread starter macrumors 68000

Even from the front - you've got to be quite close to notice the lack of bezels or home screen button.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I guess I travel with the wrong people as I can not remember us comparing and commenting on our cell phones.

I do get comments on my Apple Watch but maybe only once a week.

4. StaceyMJ86 macrumors 65816

StaceyMJ86

The only time I’ve been complimented on my phone was when I got my launch day iPhone X. Since it was a new form factor it was noticeable everywhere I went and not too many people in my area had it. Everyone down to students and techy adults were asking if they could hold it and play around with the Animoji. I didn’t upgrade to the XS Max since my X is almost paid off and I didn’t want to shell out $849 for a down payment on T-Mobile. I did upgrade my S2 to the S4 and get compliments on how big the screen is.

5. Sparkymoto macrumors regular

Does that case feel quite heavy? Was thinking of getting it.

6. ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

I may have had a random friend ask how I like a new phone, or ask what is different about it, but that is as far as it goes. I have never had anyone compliment me on a choice that they themselves could just as easily make.

7. peejay1977 macrumors member

peejay1977

Not that I noticed, it doesn't make the phone feel weighty :)

8. Pipper99 macrumors 68020

Pipper99

Kids seem to notice way more than adults, in my experience. A friend's 10 year old daughter said, "oh, you have the 10s! You're so lucky!" Ha! Other than that and a few techie acquaintances, nobody said anything. I received a fair amount of interest when I got the first big Apple phone, the 6 Plus. This time, I'm just glad that I avoided the grumps who like to get all high-horsey and disparage anything that might excite others.

9. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

10. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

There are millions of these out there. No one cares.

11. OBirder macrumors 6502

No compliments and yes we are mad to spent that much on a phone every year, hang around those forums and once a year after a sleepless night for a week we refresh either UPS or FedEx webpages every 10 seconds :)

Just mad ...

12. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

They complement my XS for having such an attractive owner.

13. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Two times that I can remember through every iPhone I've owned. One time when I got a phone delivered a day early. The other on release day.

14. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I had a retail store employee comment on my X last year when I got it since it was on release day. But I think they were more or less freaking out because they saw an X in the wild.

Other than that one episode, I have never received any compliments on any iPhone I've owned.

15. Msigotit macrumors newbie

Msigotit

Why would anyone compliment a phone?

16. Vermifuge, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018

Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

It's rare I get comments in America, however in Japan I often get inquiries. The Japanese & mainland Chinese seem to be very brand conscious... based solely on my travels and interactions. I can think of three products anyone ever took notice of in America.
    • When I got my launch day Apple Watch SS I was stopped several times to ask my opinion. The first day I had it, a lady waiting to receive her S inquired at the Tesla factory. This is also the only time I handed one of my devices to a stranger. But I was confident she had the money to buy her own and not run off with it. I was stopped several times in Japan by admirers as well.
    • The Jet black iPhone 7 Plus seemed to catch a lot of eyes. Many people seemed to doubt it was an iPhone as the question was always "Is that the new iPhone?"
    • So far one person has commented on my XS Max which seems unusual because not once did anyone ever say anything about the X I was using previously. It is a massive device, however.

17. M5RahuL macrumors 68030

M5RahuL

The only phone(s) I got complimented over were the Nokia e90 and N95 ... cookie cutter devices like iPhones go unnoticed..as they should..

18. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

Nobody gives a rat's arse what phone I own, and I don't give a rat's arse what they own.

19. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

That's an exaggeration. An iPhone Max has just under 19 square inches of surface area. An iPad mini has over 42 square inches
    --- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2018 ---
    If you truly believed that, you wouldn't be listing your devices in your signature ;-) LOL

20. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

I put it in my signature because I give a rat's arse about what I own. I don't care what other people think.

21. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

Most of the time my phone is in my pocket so it would be ackward if people looked down and complemented the bulge.

22. ssl0408 macrumors 65816

You can purchase this phone on Amazon.

23. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I never talk about this place with friends or family as they’d think it was sad. Most people I know use iPhones but very few are actually interested in phones if that makes sense?

24. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

I always admired the White Google/LG Nexus 4... but not enough to switch from iPhone

lg_nexus_4_white_leak_3.jpg

25. kdoug, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018

kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

Yes I've gotten several compliments. The one I hear the most is "That an iPhone Max in your pocket or are you just happy to see me"?