iPhone XS Max Has anyone complemented you on your XS Max?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ffosse, Oct 5, 2018.

1. naturalstar macrumors 6502a

naturalstar

This past Wednesday. I had it out and a guy noticed the gold band through the clear case. He asked if it was “the new one? The Xs?” I told him yes, it’s the Max size. He was surprised by that and went on to say how it looked smaller then he thought it would be, followed by a “Nice phone; I like the gold. I will to have to check it out.”

That was my first time getting a compliment on an iPhone, ever.

2. Oreon macrumors regular

Oreon

Yeah the missus, she said it was too big and couldn’t fit it in her hand! :eek:

3. BeefSupreme macrumors regular

A couple of days after the first iPhone came out, the employees at a Chinese Buffet went stereotypical Asian all over mine. Funny as ****.

4. Winryito macrumors regular

Winryito

When I was in China last year during the iPhone X launch day everyone were freaking out asking to play with my phone. Even the grocery cashier asked about it. Now over here in Canada no one cares what I use in my hands since they are too busy with their own device half of the time.

5. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

I do this too... it’s good conversation starter / small-talk subject.

6. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

That seems to mirror what I what i observed. Mainland Chinese and Japanese seem to be very brand conscious.

7. predation macrumors 65816

The days of getting chicks numbers because you have a new iPhone is gone.

Those were the days.

Damn I’m old.

-_-

8. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

I haven't noticed any compliments on my new iPhone Xs Max yet. Personally, I thinks hard to tell the difference between the X and XS.XS Max. They look the same.

9. Vivian125 macrumors 6502

Vivian125

I never did. When i was in U.S.A and middle east most of the people don't really care whaf phone you are using. But when i fly to Asian countries like China, Japan, South Korea, Philippines, Thailand and Malaysia most of the people their seemed so shock their small eyes suddenly get almost as big as Indian or American eyes. I feel like they are so below me or that feeling that i'm so above them even i am just an average or in fact they are using older iPhones.

In the end, yes people do seem to care when you have the Latest and Greatest flagship but not in some areas like in the west.

10. pika2000 macrumors 601

In my part of town, you don't want to blatantly show people you have a $1k phone. Cases are not only to protect the phone, but to camouflage the phone so thieves won't recognize the phone right away. It's also a good thing the Chinese phones are copying the outside look of iPhones.

11. s15119 macrumors 68000

s15119

Naw. The people I know don't care what kind of phone I use. I have gotten complements on the photos I have taken with my XS Max, but those usually come from people who complement by photography anyway. Most people don't care about such trivial things. The people I know are much more interested in what music I'm listening to.

12. ImAnAgent macrumors regular

ImAnAgent

The only people who really ever see my phone are people I work with. No one has ever mentioned it and I honestly don't think anyone cares.

My boss did notice when I was using my S9+ because he used one as well. Other then that, no one cares.

13. xxray macrumors 6502a

The last time I got commented on my iPhone was when I got the 6+ a week after release and a lot of people didn’t even know Apple announced that and some people didn’t believe it was an iPhone/that Apple would release a phone that big. Some people kept being shocked at its size, saying that they probably wouldn’t even want a phone that big due to privacy issues and the 5S size was better.

14. 1rottenapple macrumors 68000

You know no one knew except for my family. The red xr, people noticed. But the max... none.

15. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

When I first had an iPhone when most on the east coast had the Blackberry phones, I did get asked about the iPhone. Not really a compliment but just questions. No one cares nowadays. If they like smartphones, they already have one.

16. Shanghaichica macrumors G3

Shanghaichica

I got a lot of comments about the original galaxy note. I think that’s the only phone anyone has really commented on. It was rare in those days to have such a large phone.

17. PeteS1963 macrumors 6502

If a stranger made a compliment about my phone, any phone, I’d think that they were a bit odd :)

However, the only phone that I owned that caused a bit of a stir (not direct compliments) was the original iPhone. In those days it was hard to actually demo a phone. In the UK there weren’t Apple shops that I can remember and mobile phone shops only had displays with dummy units literally nailed to a board. If you actually wanted to look at a working device then you can to deal with some unpleasant cocky sales person.

I can remember being at a party and everyone crowded round just to have a go with the iPhone. It was stuff like scrolling a web page, pinch and zoom, the music carousel... people would literally go “ohhh and ahhhh” simply by scrolling up and down. But there was nothing else like it.

The other thing that amused me was that at the time people thought it was a big phone. You’d often hear people moan about it being too big for their pockets! But in those days manufacturers were trying to go smaller and smaller. Small phones where considered desirable. Big phones outdated bricks. Now, if you see an original iPhone it looks tiny. How things change.

18. HEK macrumors 68040

HEK

Wouldn’t it make more sense to compliment Apple. I only bought the phone, had nothing to do with making it.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2019 ---
    Lower Alabama.......ROFL

19. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I find phones these days are like watches. They just don’t get noticed and since everybody has a smartphone, they seem to have become almost invisible necessities. I had a mate ask me if my iPhone 8+ was the latest iPhone a few weeks back and I explained it wasn’t but he was just curious as it’s a huge phone and said it looked cool. Usually nobody looks at my phone or takes an interest in the latest and greatest in my experience. It might be different in other countries.

20. PeteS1963, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019

PeteS1963 macrumors 6502

I’ve had lots of friends ask me about my Apple Watch. Nothing to do with compliments or really the Apple Watch as such, more questions on what a smart watch can do, is it worth it... there are quite a few people out there that don’t know what smart watches are for and how they work.

Mind you, I once had another Apple Watch owning friend complement me on my Watch strap. There then followed a strap conversation. Rather sad in an amusing kind of way. Amusing as for me it sums up the state of mobile tech.

21. 1rottenapple macrumors 68000

I feel like I’m the techy person that is interested in watches and tech. I do not much experience others commenting on phones these days, aside from the reaction my xr received.

22. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I think more people notice my Apple Watch than anything else...seems that is one product non tech people notice the most.

23. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

People thought my X was an XS, and complimented me on it out of nowhere. I do feel like my area is more "tech savvy" to get these kinds of comments. Obviously if you're in middle of nowhere Idaho, people won't notice nor care. Depends on the demographics of the area. Apple Pay doesn't even cause people to bat an eye anymore or even ask what it is, they just run it....as it should be.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 12, 2019 ---
    I have noticed a lot of people ask "Is that an Apple Watch"....complimenting me on the Apple Watch, though mine is only a Series 3 :p

24. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I get the occasional question about how am I finding the Apple Watch. Mine is a series 2 and still looks the business so I doubt people care what version you have. An Apple Watch is an Apple Watch and to most they look the same.

25. Strokee macrumors member