Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
With the issues I have been having I have seriously considered returning my phone and getting a different manufacturer such as Google Pixel XL, LG V20, etc. Has anyone else considered this, or done this, and if so what are your results? I love Apple and have used every line of product they have. I'm just peeved with the 7+ issue that I have.

It is not just the phone I would NOT consider getting rid of but going to an Android or worst a Windows phone is not a viable option for me. My 7+ has operated quite well and I have no complaints. No possible way I would communicate through any Google product.

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
'On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.' - Chuck Palahniuk
HTC loses money every year though. At some point they will go bye bye. Shame they make great phones but lack the marketing that the big Android manufacturers have.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Do you understand why there's a camera bulge? It has to do with the body of the phone distorting the flash as happened on every iPhone prior to the 6. It's why just about every phone has a camera bulge for the same exact reason.
I understand that the iPhone 5s and SE are the last models to not have a camera bulge and that I'd never buy an Android or WinMo phone that had one.

I'd rather they make the phone slightly thicker. It's a boil or a pill lozenge depending on model. Lots of people may be cool with that because the camera is good but my iPhone 5 takes good pictures and so does my iPad Air 2. I don't need what's being offered if it means this fugly boil on my phone.

Conan86

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Singapore
I really love the pixel

How can you love something when you haven't experienced it? It's more like infatuation lol

Back to the topic, OP you should go ahead and flirt with other brands. I've personally tried HTC and LG before. They have their own merits but system wise, I find iOS to be the most reliable and secure.

Everyone has got different take in their experience and only you yourself knows what best suit you after experimentation

Reactions: Duncanator

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
Who makes the Google Pixel?
Google is paying them to make it. Neither will be successful unless they are sold though all carriers. Not via their own website. HTC needs the business and this is exactly how they started. They lack the marketing ability to compete selling their own designs. Pretty sure that Google gets most of the profit also.
[doublepost=1476635834][/doublepost]
I understand that the iPhone 5s and SE are the last models to not have a camera bulge and that I'd never buy an Android or WinMo phone that had one.

I'd rather they make the phone slightly thicker. It's a boil or a pill lozenge depending on model. Lots of people may be cool with that because the camera is good but my iPhone 5 takes good pictures and so does my iPad Air 2. I don't need what's being offered if it means this fugly boil on my phone.
Your missing the point. The body of the 5 caused the flash to distort the images. The only real way is to move the camera away from the body of the phone. Every other phone has a bulge. Usually it's a lot bigger

Jodie1987

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2016
How can you love something when you haven't experienced it? It's more like infatuation lol

Back to the topic, OP you should go ahead and flirt with other brands. I've personally tried HTC and LG before. They have their own merits but system wise, I find iOS to be the most reliable and secure.

Everyone has got different take in their experience and only you yourself knows what best suit you after experimentation

I love the design, I love the specs, I love everything I have read about it and you can't question a persons opinion on something when its not yours to be questioned.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
With the issues I have been having I have seriously considered returning my phone and getting a different manufacturer such as Google Pixel XL, LG V20, etc. Has anyone else considered this, or done this, and if so what are your results? I love Apple and have used every line of product they have. I'm just peeved with the 7+ issue that I have.
The stellar speed, smoothness, exceptional functionality and sheer fun I've enjoyed over the last year with my Nexus 6P (as compared to my excellent but mundane iPhone 6S Plus) has me excited about the Pixel XL I'll be taking delivery of on the 20th.
[doublepost=1476638972][/doublepost]
Google is paying them to make it.
Apple is paying Foxconn.

Same arrangement.

Duncanator

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
Well went my Verizon store and it appears that since I got a replacement from Apple (still has the hissing issue) Verizon will not take the 7+ back since it does not contain the EXACT serial number/IMEI.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I'm going to get a Sony XZ or a OnePlus 3 and run it alongside my old 6S+. My 7+ is going back tomorrow and I'm going to wait for Apple's next offering. I'm actually looking forward to trying an Android phone but fancy something different to the usual Samsung shiny stuff. The iPhone 7+ is just not doing anything for me, it doesn't offer me £719's worth of improvement over my current 6S+ and I was blown away with the Xperia XZ after playing with one today. I'll keep my 6S+ just in case Android is pants...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Your missing the point. The body of the 5 caused the flash to distort the images. The only real way is to move the camera away from the body of the phone. Every other phone has a bulge. Usually it's a lot bigger
And you are not seeing my point.

I don't care about features, distortion, camera pixels, quality or whatever else you want to throw in there. I care about aesthetics. And that camera bump is not pretty. Consequently, I will not buy this phone.

That may make me in the minority because plenty of people buy their phones based on features and the quality of the camera. I am not one of those.

It's fugly. I don't like how it looks and I don't care WHY they did this. I'm not interested. Telling me why doesn't change my opinion about how it looks.

And if there are non-Apple phones that have this bulge then my opinion still applies to them. I don't buy based on features because how I use a phone hasn't changed since Christmas 2008. I buy based on looks.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
What is sad, is you ask for suggestions / help and all most posters do is get down on your selection, not because you are looking at alternatives, rather because you are looking at something other than an iPhone. :(

I always say "coming to the Vatican to ask whether to remain a catholic?"

A better post would ask something like, "I'm with iPhone because of this and this and this... would I find, retain those features with a non-IOS?"

OP, maybe God is telling you, if you already tried a couple, to skip 7 and wait 'til next year.

The way Apple locks you into their eco-system, expect a switching cost.

x34

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2014

they are all google, so no.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
And you are not seeing my point.

I don't care about features, distortion, camera pixels, quality or whatever else you want to throw in there. I care about aesthetics. And that camera bump is not pretty. Consequently, I will not buy this phone.

That may make me in the minority because plenty of people buy their phones based on features and the quality of the camera. I am not one of those.

It's fugly. I don't like how it looks and I don't care WHY they did this. I'm not interested. Telling me why doesn't change my opinion about how it looks.

And if there are non-Apple phones that have this bulge then my opinion still applies to them. I don't buy based on features because how I use a phone hasn't changed since Christmas 2008. I buy based on looks.

The Sony Xperia XZ camera is flush with the casing. Thumbs up.

Duncanator

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
Unless Apple refunds my purchase I made at Verizon I am with Apple for another year (which they obviously won't do). I guess I'll keep working on getting a 7+ that does not have the hissing issue.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
I currently use an iPhone 7+ for personal, and a Samsung Galaxy s6 Edge+ for my work phone. The ONLY thing I like about the Samsung is Samsung pay being able to be used a lot more places than Apple Pay. That being said, I'm still trying to get my employer to give me an iPhone for work use.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Well went my Verizon store and it appears that since I got a replacement from Apple (still has the hissing issue) Verizon will not take the 7+ back since it does not contain the EXACT serial number/IMEI.
I'm not advocating for any company, but IMEI numbers matter, just like the VIN number matters to an automobile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.