Has anyone ordered an iPhone 4 refurb from AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rockyroad55, May 10, 2011.

1. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

The 16GB version is only $99.99 and I was wondering if anyone has ever bought a refurb iPhone 4 from AT&T before. Not another refurb phone, only iPhone 4. Also, for regular customers, there is something called "cosmetic blemishes" and under Premier, it is just called "refurb." Is there a difference?

Would it just be better to just spend the extra $100 and get a new device?

2. jameskk macrumors regular

I ordered one for $79 last month.. it arrived and looked brand new.

3. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

$79??? Wow, my upgrade date is on the 15th so I hope they will have some in stock then. It quotes a 3-5 day shipping time because they will only ship if inventory permits based on first come first served. I don't want to wait that long haha.

4. drummr macrumors regular

I got my iPhone 4 from AT&T refurbished and it looked brand new. It came with all the normal stuff (headphones, charger, etc.), just in a crappy AT&T generic box.

5. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

How about your shipping times? Did they ship it right after you ordered or did you have to wait a certain number of days?

6. Mattgella macrumors newbie

Got mine last month from AT&T for $99. It's a steal at that price. Looked brand new when I took it out of the generic box. Went into the settings and saw that it only had a few hours of use. Not a sratch on it. I orderd it Wednesday night and had it on Monday.

I was planning to hold out until the iPhone 5, but since it doesn't look like that is coming until fall at the earliest, decided to go ahead with the refurb deal. Figured I could always sell it on ebay or craigslist for $300 or $400 if I have to have the iPhone 5. One of the best phone purchases I have ever made. Absolutely no regrets!

7. drummr macrumors regular

We ordered 2 other non iPhones with it and they all shipped in the same box the next day.

8. Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    Ordered 2, both came in perfect condition and had new accessories.

9. JaredtotheRESQ macrumors newbie

I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I tried this earlier today and the only iPhone 4 refurb that turned up was the out of stock 32GB model. Am I missing something?

10. ishoulddie macrumors newbie

Stock comes and goes on refurbs, they're not always available. After deciding to pull the trigger on one, i had to wait about a week or so before one actually became available.

11. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I'm viewing the refurbs on Premier.

12. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

If I don't see any available this Sunday, my upgrade date, I'm gonna just walk into an Apple store to buy a new one. I can't wait much longer since I recently broke my current one. Stuck using an HTC Surround now, not the best phone.

13. Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

I would suggest that you get a white iPhone, since those came out later it might end up having a slightly higher resale value. Not 100% sure though. Always get 32GB for resale value.

14. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Yup, that was what I was going to say earlier. Either a refurb black or a new white iPhone. Worst case scenario would be to just buy a new black iPhone.

15. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

How is warranty looking on these refurbished phones?

16. drummr macrumors regular

AFAIK, it's the standard Apple 1 year warranty. At least that's what mine shows.

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Cool. So it basically starts right when you activate it?

18. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

If I remember correctly, AT&T refurbished units are returns within the 30 day window, so condition may vary.

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

My understanding is that AT&T refurbs are just like new (no physical damage at all). They have a section called "cosmetic damaged phones" though.

20. drummr macrumors regular

Mine was 100% perfect, besides where the idiot who installed the sim card was apparently blind and scratched the metal around the hole to eject the sim tray:rolleyes:.

21. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Eh, that's not such a big deal for $99 imo!

22. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Yeah I've always wondered about the cosmetic ones. I don't see them at all on Premier so I thought they were the same, refurb and cosmetic.

23. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I can't weight in on refurb iPhone 4's, but my first iPhone was a refurb 3G, and it was as others described when arrived: Looked brand new except for the crappy AT&T brown box. I sold the 3G to a friend when I got my iPhone 4 last July, and he still uses it daily and it's holding up fine. Refurbished iPhones are probably the best deal on the smartphone market IMO.

24. rockyroad55 thread starter macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Turns out I ponied up the extra cash and just got a new white one. Would have bought a refurb if it was available in white at the time. My friend got a refurb one though and it is in fantastic condition!

25. Vampire5003 macrumors 6502

I hope you enjoy it, they are amazing devices.