Has anyone received their "Fixed" Speck CandyShell?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by readerbreader, Aug 15, 2010.

1. readerbreader macrumors regular

if you have...

does it affect the flash?
    did you have to mail your old one back?

2. hitteam macrumors member

hitteam

I got a new revised version from my local AT&T store, it has bigger cut on the back camera hole and the button 30pin connection port. But it looks and feels cheaper than mine old version, it just feels like they rush it out and couldn't keep the quality up.

3. wattsja macrumors regular

I have not yet received the replacement one from Speck. I was told but the CS resp that you will NOT have to return your old one .. you can just keep it.

Of course, I am beginning to wonder if they are even going to send the replacements.

4. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

nope. should we be emailing Speck to "remind" them?

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

That's what Speck does. I had my CandyShell replaced before and they just let me keep it.

It takes some time to redesign and manufacture new cases.

6. psywzrd macrumors 68030

How will we know if we got the updated version? Can we tell just by the hole cutout for the rear camera and flash or is there more to it than that? I have one coming from AT&T and I want to make sure that it's the updated version with the rubber that doesn't crack and peel (and no flash issues of course).

7. Edking4 macrumors member

Att retail stores have the updated candy-shell. The new design has a few key features than the past revisions.

1. The camera has a oval cutout rather than the teardrop one and yes the new cutout works great with the flash.

2. The docking port cutout is a tad bigger.

3. The rubber has been changed around the lip of the case to prevent flaking.

4. The newer one is a tad thinner and lighter than the old version.

Speck posted on their twitter that the new cases will be available in all colors by the end of august but att retail has first dibs.

8. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I hope this includes online orders from AT&T too.

9. wwjbd24 macrumors member

10. psychonaut macrumors 6502a

Yes, I've been careful with mine and it's already scratching.

11. intervenient macrumors 6502a

Yup. After one days usage by whole back is littered in scratches. That's my only complaint about this case.

12. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

The easy scratching thing has always been my biggest issue with the CandyShells. I've emailed them several times since the first CandyShells came out for the 3G/3GS about the possibility of making a matte, soft touch version of the CandyShell like the matte finish Incase Sliders, Seidio Innocases, etc(Speck did it for their "SeeThru" line so I don't see why they can't do it for the CandyShell line), but I've never gotten a response. It'd take away the two biggest problems I have with the case...the scratches showing so easily, and the slipperiness of the case. Would anyone else like a matte/soft-touch backed version of the CandyShell, or is it just me? What about you psychonaut, you seem to be a case connoisseur like myself.

13. intervenient macrumors 6502a

I would be down for sure. I'd easily shell (ha, pun) $40 for such a case.

14. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I'm still waiting for my Candyshell to come from AT&T but I have a feeling I'm not going to like it because of the scratching problem. I would definitely be interested in it if they could make one with the same material as the Innocase - that would be awesome. The Innocase material is probably the best I've ever seen on a case. It doesn't scratch or get marked up at all, it doesn't show fingerprints, and even though it gives a little bit of grip, it is by no means a lint catcher or tough to get out of your pocket. The material just feels great in your hands. I can't figure out what Speck wouldn't use that type of material instead of plastic unless they just want the Candyshell to be a shiny case. The problem with that is that once the scratches happen, it's not so shiny anymore.

15. tripl3fast macrumors newbie

are all of the colors available at the at&t store? in particular, do they have the white or the black cases?

16. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I can only speak for the store I went to but they only had the Mahogany and the Purple. I ordered the black one online and it should be here this week.

17. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

The AT&T store by my house had black ones two days ago. (Charlotte, NC)

18. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I just got my black Candyshell that I ordered online from AT&T and man is this thing nice! It's the updated version with the proper flash cutout and it really feels great in my hand. I got my Seidio Innocase yesterday and the shape of the Candyshell feels much better than the Innocase to me (the Innocase is too square). The Candyshell is a little more rounded off and it's just more comfortable for me to hold. The two cases appear be virtually identical in size too, which is a pleasant surprise since I expected the Candyshell to be more bulky. It actually feels smaller to me too because it's more round than square so that makes me happy. I do have one small area of my SGP Oleophobic that is bubbling but that was caused by the Seidio so I can't blame that on the Candyshell at all (there was no bubbling whatsoever before I put the Seidio on:mad:).

I'm probably going to be changing screen protectors anyway (wanna try the PS Anti-Glare) but I don't see how this case would interfere with screen protectors if you put them on right. The lip on the Candyshell is actually smaller than the one on the Innocase so I think it's less likely to cause problems. I do expect the Candyshell to scratch very easily though and I'm not sure how I feel about that. It looks great right now that it's shiny and brand-new, but I don't know how it will look when it starts getting scratched up. Better the case than the phone I guess. The Candyshell also seems like it offers more drop protection than the Innocase though I don't plan to test that theory;).

19. Jmacman78 macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

I'm still waiting for my "fixed" one from Speck. I emailed them early last week and was told it would be another two weeks.

20. zizo79 macrumors 6502a

zizo79

21. PirateP macrumors 6502

PirateP

Do the rubber parts still flake? Between that and the scratching, I decided against this for my 4. My 3Gs one looked bad so fast. Pass.

22. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Yeah I emailed them last week as well and was told at that time it would be another 2-3 weeks.

23. intervenient macrumors 6502a

Gah, after 3 days of the CandyShell the little things are beginning to bother me. The lips are wearing down and getting the fuzz everywhere, which is bothering the crap out of me. Not to mention the area around the bottom is beginning to fray, and that's where I situate my pinky when I hold the phone. Not to mention it's a fairly bulk, heavy case. Does anyone have any experience with returning something like this to AT&T?

24. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Is your Candyshell the old version or the updated one with the oval cutout on the back and the (supposedly) improved rubber lip?

25. intervenient macrumors 6502a

The updated one. I don't have the older one for comparison, but the one I have is flaking all over the screen. However, I'm wondering if it just needs a break in phase.