Has anyone seen this iPhone TV Ad that's allegedly racist?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rocky1932, Mar 30, 2009.

1. rocky1932 macrumors newbie

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Maybe they should be going after the restaurant and not the messenger....:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

3. bigchief macrumors 6502a

4. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

5. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Hal Licino is a washed up tool just looking for his 15 minutes... nothing to see here.

6. rocky1932 thread starter macrumors newbie

Has anyone actualy seen the commercal? Does it in fact exist or is the guy making it up?

7. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Um, it's real. It's advertising the Urban Spoon app (in Canada, at least).

I'm willing to bet it's not a "racist" word :rolleyes:

8. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I googled the word "terroni" and so far haven't found anything offensive about it.

9. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

the word itself means "of the earth" but it is also a derogator statement if put into that context.. much like the word CRACKER.. If i saw CRACKERS on the screen, i wouldnt be offended if it was for a food place.. just like that retard SHOULD really learn the difference between words that were meant for hate and words that can only insinuate hate if put in context.. in the context of a restaurant, it simply means OF THE EARTH.. like meaning FRESH and ORGANIC>

the guys an idiot and just looking for a reason to get on a soap box

the racisit connotation insinuates that the people of southern itali are "peasants" or "dirt farmers" and beneath the upper class.. thats all..not NEARLY as bad as a word like the N word

10. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

I'm a cracker! Some people just need to get a life.

11. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

One of us needs to find the actual commercial.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

13. rocky1932 thread starter macrumors newbie

The guy says that there is a listing that its deragatory on the first page of google under terroni. Its the urban dictionary link. I've just checked apple site and they have lots of iPhone TV ads there, but not this one. Anyone have any luck with finding it?

14. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ That stuff looks maavelous, I'm a fan already, mmmm... good!:p:p:p:p:p

15. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I think what he is arguing is that Apple should have used discretion in featuring that particular restaurant on a TV ad. It doesn't matter that there is a restaurant called ___ (insert controversial name here), what matters is that Apple chose to highlight ___ in an ad. Not to say I necessarily agree or disagree, but that is the issue.

16. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Serious ?

Firstly the ad, which no one has seen, does not mention the restaurant as you indicate above. The contention, with no support was that a word used in the ad, which no one has seen, is a bad word. The fact is there is no issue with the word. As a proud northern italian , with some Sicilian, which we do not speak of, I can tell you this guy needs to relax a bit

17. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Ugh. Re-read my post (and perhaps take note of my name, as well).

18. rocky1932 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not going to believe the ad exists until I see it. It cant be that difficult to find an Apple TV ad online, but I've had no luck so far.

19. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I'm pretty sure it's the Canadian version of the ad that features UrbanSpoon - I seem to remember seeing it at least twice now. The restaurant in question is in Toronto.

20. pugnut macrumors 6502a

You know what's strange is the urbanspoon add is the only ad that is not working on the CA story gallery

http://www.apple.com/ca/iphone/gallery/ads/

Lets say that it did exist and it is a name of a valid resturant, then would the argument not be with the owner of the place. For the record it is not a bad word, end of the story.

21. milani macrumors 68000

milani

How would it be up to the owner to assume that his restaurant would be featured in an advertisement by Apple? I say again, reread my post, which I've conveniently copied to this post:

I think what he is arguing is that Apple should have used discretion in featuring that particular restaurant on a TV ad. It doesn't matter that there is a restaurant called ___ (insert controversial name here), what matters is that Apple chose to highlight ___ in an ad. Not to say I necessarily agree or disagree, but that is the issue.

Here is the ad:

http://movies.apple.com/media/ca/ip...one3g-ad-urbanspoon-ca-20090119_r480-9cie.mov

Attached Files:

• pics.jpg
      pics.jpg
      File size:
      133.8 KB
      Views:
  22. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Firstly as an Italian, by both grandparents, I can tell you that it is not offensive. Also a quick run through facebook, shows over 1,000 people with that Surname, better hope they never open a business or get in the public eye. The basic research does not yield up that this is offensive... APple is right leave the ad

23. milani macrumors 68000

milani

24. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I posted a direct link to the video above - and screenshots to boot.