Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I'm so tired of the political correctness.

I am too, it's sad you have to be careful even being nice to someone. You say "Merry Christmas" at work and you can be fired because someone took offense to it. I think I get in less trouble just saying F*** you to the person.

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
I am too, it's sad you have to be careful even being nice to someone. You say "Merry Christmas" at work and you can be fired because someone took offense to it. I think I get in less trouble just saying F*** you to the person.

Haha I think you're right. It really is ridiculous. Some people just want to create a society where differences aren't mentioned.

rocky1932

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
Hey, I stand corrected. The ad does exist, and whatever anyone wants to say or not say, Apple should have known better. Theirs no reason to use that particular restaurant name.

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Hey, I stand corrected. The ad does exist, and whatever anyone wants to say or not say, Apple should have known better. Theirs no reason to use that particular restaurant name.
]

Not to drag this around more, but how should apple have know this? Lets say they do a search on the name, do it and look what you find, numerous food establishments all over the world, about 1000+ people with the same Surname on facebook... and BTW it is not defined in a Dictionary... As a developer, and and Investor I am a 100% comfortable with this and Apple on this issue.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA

If even the owners of the restaurant, who are italian, don't find that word offensive how was Apple to know? I googled the word "terroni" and all I got was links about the restaurant. I only found links about it being a racist word when I googled "terroni racism", so basically I only found it linked to racism when I specifically searched for racism.

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005
I think it's unfortunate that this somehow made it through the checks. But then again, you wouldn't think a place would use such a name.

I don't think Apple should be punished for this, just take the ad down (I'm pretty sure I saw it today a few times). It would be a little different if it was their app using possible racist remarks. But we all know $ony is the king of that.

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
I think it's unfortunate that this somehow made it through the checks. But then again, you wouldn't think a place would use such a name.

I don't think Apple should be punished for this, just take the ad down (I'm pretty sure I saw it today a few times). It would be a little different if it was their app using possible racist remarks. But we all know $ony is the king of that.

Using that logic should they block it from the app, like to do with Craiglist ad's that are questionable, which they do? Searching Yelp for in multiple states brings up that name as well as the yellow pages.

Slippery Slope

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
I don't find it offensive, but the fact that some people do would indicate that Apple made a poor choice - although it's easy to blame the in retrospect. Nevertheless, they do have people on the company payroll to avert these exact scenarios, so it's not like they're completely free of blame.

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
Dont know. Its right there in urban dictionary. Kind of hard to miss.

I love urban dictionary, but seriously, are we now claiming it to be a definitive source of knowledge for companies to check with?

I don't find it offensive, but the fact that some people do would indicate that Apple made a poor choice - although it's easy to blame the in retrospect. Nevertheless, they do have people on the company payroll to avert these exact scenarios, so it's not like they're completely free of blame.

And what about the people who complain Apple discriminated against women because of the touch screen, or that they discriminated against overweight people because of the keyboard.

Any comment a person (or company) makes will inevitably offend another person in this soft climate we've created. People need to stop looking for reasons to be offended.

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
I love urban dictionary, but seriously, are we now claiming it to be a definitive source of knowledge for companies to check with?

And what about the people who complain Apple discriminated against women because of the touch screen, or that they discriminated against overweight people because of the keyboard.

Any comment a person (or company) makes will inevitably offend another person in this soft climate we've created. People need to stop looking for reasons to be offended.

I don't believe in absolutes one way or another (it's a narrow-minded way to think, and it doesn't appreciate degree or scale). Obvious there has to be discretion on both ends, but some instants are more overtly offensive than others (i.e. this commercial).

rocky1932

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009

No but you do have to wondar if they didnt check the front page of google and they didnt check urban dictionary did they run any checks? There are so many descriminatory terms out there in the world you might think that it would be standard practece for such a big company.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 255

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
No but you do have to wondar if they didnt check the front page of google and they didnt check urban dictionary did they run any checks? There are so many descriminatory terms out there in the world you might think that it would be standard practece for such a big company.

Here's my first page when I google "terroni"... Nothing about it being offensive.

Also I don't think anyone would even think of the possibility that the name of a well-known restaurant, owned by two italians, is an offensive italian word.

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    222.4 KB · Views: 70

rocky1932

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
I see urban dictionary at the bottom of my google search page. and sure urban dictionary is not the enciclopadia, but its also on wiki as derogetory. I think the thing is that they didnt check anything at all just ran it. Thats where their at fault.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
If I ever get annoyed by a southern Italian at least I know what to call him now. You learn something new every day. Thanks Hal.

skwoytek

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2005
How is this conversation (at least regarding Apple) still going on. Hell, we should be lucky Apple didn't reject the Urban Spoon application because the word Terroni appeared in the results.

Clearly, if you have a problem - take it up with the restaurant owners.

jake36wi41

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006
Dude who wrote the article needs to chill JUUUUUUST a little bit...

"I can now add you and the traitorous idiots at Terroni's to the list of people who make me sick. "

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
If one was to read on the site about why they chose Terroni as their name to begin with, they would see that it was to sort of "in your face" to the Northern Italians for making it derogatory.

This implies that they are a pretty mature company, showing that a word is nonfinite. It can be changed into something that is good. I mean Terroni means "of the earth". Just because some idiots decided to make it derogatory doesn't mean you have to fall into their ways.

If people would just "shut up" and stop complaining over every little thing... I mean it's only insulting if you actually let it be. Shrug it off and move on and eventually it will disappear.

A saying comes to mind.. "It takes two baby..." It takes two to make something derogatory.. the one who originated the "derogatory statement" and the one who falls victim to it. If you ignore it then you are not a victim but a trend setter who will eventually allow racism to be nothing more then "a leaf falling in the middle of a forest."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.