Has AT&T done enough to keep you once VZW gets the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jshort, Jan 8, 2011.

?

Has AT&T done enough to keep you once VZW gets the iPhone?

1. Yes, I'll stay with AT&T

80.0%
  2. No, I'll be switching to VZW

20.0%
  1. jshort macrumors regular

By you... i mean "me" too. Like many of you I've had all the iPhones since the original EDGE version and I've cussed AT&T the whole way.. I came from Verizon and still carry a 2nd VZW phone with me for work so I'm familiar with their strength along most of the east coast. AT&T has always been the worst part of my experience but I have to say.. over the past 8-10 months (with the exception of my NYC trips) AT&T has made some noticeable improvements in the regions that I travel. With that being said.. has AT&T done enough to keep you? I've always said I'd be the first in line to gladly pay my ETF buttt... I don't know? Having two phones on my plan now makes this about a $1k transaction with the higher ETF's. Are they still THAT bad? Not to mention all the congestion that will come OFF the network with the VZW launch..

What would it take.. new specs? LTE?... I'd def make the switch if it turns out to be an LTE iPhone but that's pretty doubtful. I may end up staying with AT&T.. can't believe I just said that.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I can't believe I am responding to another Verizon iPhone thread ;)

I will be staying with AT&T no question
    I have no desire to change at all IF Verizon actually gets the iPhone :)

My experience with AT&T has been great and I have no issues

3. QuarterSwede, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Where I am in Colorado the signal is almost always good enough for fast data rates (something you'd be losing if the Verizon iPhone is not LTE [which I doubt]). Dropped calls are the only thing I STILL deal with and it's seems to have gotten worse here. However, I use data more than I talk on the phone so it really isn't so inconvenient that I'd switch to Verizon.

I forgot to add that the family and I have a wicked good FAN discount on at&t. That helps a lot.

4. nyfliiboy macrumors regular

Im not paying $350 to break my contract just to get the same phone. AT&T is good where i live (NYC) and i will most likely be upgrading again to the next iphone.

5. dagored macrumors 65816

What he said.

6. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

this, I have no problem with AT & T

7. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Can I ask a question.... why so much animosity towards ATT?

How come we don't here the same from Verizon customers or is there as much?

8. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Yes, because Verizon's 3G network is so much slower then AT&T's it is pathetic. Verizon first iPhone won't be LTE.

9. BadMoon macrumors 6502

Just look up the recent poll reported by CNN on mobile carrier satisfaction. AT&T scored dead last against all the major carriers.

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I think it's because Verizon uses CDMA which has more coverage per cell tower giving them much better overall coverage.

This is the truth. Verizon's 3G is basically as fast as at&t's EDGE network. It's so slow I was shocked.

11. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

I was a happy 6 year customer of VZW before switching to the iPhone. I love that my 500min/month plan with two data plans equals the price of my 700min/month with NO data plans on VZW. I also really enjoy knowing if I need my rollover minutes I can use them...

However, since switching to ATT I have had issues with service, but only in my home. I live in the D.C. Metro area so get great 3G reception. One the first floor of my split level home I get almost no reception with ATT. Not a HUGE problem so I don't think it will cause me to switch back. It's nice to know that the option might be there though.

For some reason I feel like even if Verizon does get an iPhone, ATT will always have an advantage in some way.

12. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

It's because if a verizon customer has bad service, they switch to a different provider, while iPhone users couldn't do that if they still wanted to use the iPhone.

As for the question, AT&T has always been here and their customer service has been much better to me than verizon (had verizon 8 years ago, parents had verizon until 4 years and I delt with cs for them when needed, and I have verizon fios for home). The question isn't has AT&T done enough to keep me, it's what has verizon done to earn my business?

13. flash144 macrumors member

As a truck driver, I can say from experience, that those who don't have issues with AT&T don't travel any distance from BIG cities. The 3g from AT&T is good as long as you are fairly stationary.

And, that there have been times with bad reception and missing/dropping calls, that I have turned off 3g and immediately gotten 5 bars of Edge.

I have been waiting for VZW to get the Iphone to switch, but then realized that most of my family/friends have AT&T so switching would cost me even more monies as those phone calls would then come off my anytime minutes and theirs.

I may end up on VZW with another Iphone and a regular phone on AT&T.

14. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

exactly.

15. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

I will be staying,For 5 lines each person is only paying roughly $45, which includes 2400 mintues and unlimited txt. I'm the only user who still has the unlimited data :p, the rest drop down to the 200MB since they don't use anything close to that.

16. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

You could get a cheap go phone and use that as your AT&T phone, it's $1 a day for unlimited mobile to mobile on the days you use it. Also, not sure if it's still available, but after verizon purchased alltel they had a plan that gave you 5 or 10 numbers that you could choose from to be included with mobile to mobile (even landline numbers).

17. zephxiii macrumors 6502

That is incorrect, the only thing that ever makes a big difference is what frequency the network is operating on, and that varies from location to location (city/region).

18. stisdal macrumors 6502

stisdal

I travel all over the country (for work) as well. I have my iPhone, a work blackberry (AT&T) and a Verizon Mifi for laptop use. I can honestly say that I have just as good of coverage with AT&T as I do with Verizon most of the time.

If I know I am in a weak area, I turn off 3G and the iPhone works great on edge, AND still has faster data speeds than the Verizon mifi does! Also, my iP4 gets much better signal than the blackberry 9700.

19. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

There are very few things to pull me away from where I am now with my iPhone contract. If they offer me the same type of program (I'm on unlimited data) for less money (about 25% or more less) then I'll leave. If they offer me the same type of program but with more features (free tethering, open network support [facetime without WiFi], etc.. I'll move.

Offer me a similar program for the same price, there is no need to leave. I get OK coverage right now, it could be better.

But overall, I'm going to just wait and see what happens.

20. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Ditto here. I have an AT&T tower 1 mile from my home so I always have full strength and speeds are fine and I never get any dropped calls.

21. d.shorty1 macrumors member

I, for one will switch. Not bc ATT hasn't done "enough" for me..but simply bc my iphone is always on Edge. Its rather annoying to see friends on the so called "slow" 3G CDMA flip page to page on their droids while im barely loading google on my ip4. Love the phone, tired of the coverage. Verizon is a win/win for me.

As for the ETF, I'll gladly pay it. Im currently JB and unlocked so i will have no problems selling it on ebay and covering my ETF and new contract price. Even if im out $100, it's worth it to have the coverage verizon offers in my area.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same here.
    No probs at all. Im actually impressed with their expansion and 3G speeds in my local area.

23. kasei macrumors 6502a

kasei

What they said.

24. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I would like to answer to you. I've traveled from New Orleans to Houston by road. As well as to Other places East of New Orleans (Mississippii, Alabama And Florida panhandle). Everywhere I go I get consistent 3G and when not available I get EDGE.

Dropped calls? Not one. Slow data, it's expected on EDGE; however, EDGE on the open road is so much faster than city EDGE.

You may say at this point, pfff, Southern states. Well no, it is not also the Southern states. Los Angeles to Vegas. Chicago to Indianapolis, then St. Louis.

So your argument I'm not buying it.

25. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Form everything I've read over the years Verizon CDMA towers offer better coverage per tower than at&t's.