Has iPhone 4 hurt Apple's credibility?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MassiveAttack, Jun 29, 2010.

1. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

With the numerous design flaws and manufacture defects has iPhone 4 hurt Apple's credibility as a superior and high end electronics manufacturer? External antenna, cellular signal malfunction, dust under screen, extremely fragile glass casing, proximity sensor issues and OS bugs have plagued iPhone 4 and it has gotten it's fair share of bashing from numerous electronic critics and industry blogs. Will iPhone 4 rebound? We all know it has sold 1.7 million devices but thats prior to it's defects being publicly known. What future do you see for iPhone 4 and Apple after this debacle? What say you?

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Probably not. The issues will be sorted out, just like the white Macbook case cracking, the Macbook case yellowing, the iPhone 3G case cracking, iPod hard drive failures, iPhone silent switches falling off.

Apple aren't perfect, and have had some pretty bad publicity in the past. People still buy their products, and I can't imagine more than a few thousand iPhones have been returned. Just wait a few weeks and it'll be like the issue never happened.

3. darkip macrumors newbie

As a first time iPhone buyer, it's certainly severely damaged their credibility for me.

4. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

I'm sure it will not hurt their credibility at all. In fact the phone is awesome so im sure it will make them look even better. This phone is lightyears ahead of 3G/3GS.

5. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

No. people who like apple products will still buy.

6. MassiveAttack thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess those are called fan boys? :confused:

7. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Simple answer : 1.7 million in the first 3 days.

Nothing is perfect.
    Lets says 0.1% failure or problem rate. Thats a couple thousand problems.
    Thats realistic and you'll here the complaints. And we do here them.

I'm waiting a bit til I upgrade to a iPhone 4. I'll let the dust settle so to speak.

8. herdinoh macrumors regular

IPHONE DIDNT. JOBS DID.

9. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I'd say they're more likely to be the (probably by now) millions of customers who are perfectly happy with their phone and have no problems. You're just a vocal minority. As per usual, a minority group will get heard over the majority, but I can assure you most people have no issue.

10. zoman504 macrumors regular

Sorry, but this isn't a case of "failure rate", this is a case of "we f'd up the design and people can't make calls". I will say, the issues do seem to hedge on service area. In great service areas, my reception problems are not quite as bad, but in so-so areas I get continued dropped calls, regardless of how I hold it. I never had any of these issues with the 3G in the exact same spots, holding it the same way.

11. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Just another bump in the road, remember Apple's had design problems before, remember the iMac yellow screens and the Mac Pro SMC Firmware problems for example.

12. Pared macrumors 65816

13. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

No way. I think android fanboys are making a huge stink out of minor issues. My iPhone 4 is the best portable device I have ever owned.

14. samcraig macrumors P6

This a a non issue. You're bashing me wrong

- Steve Jobs

15. hchavarria macrumors 6502

Not at all. The only issue I've had it the antenna problem and I fixed it with a cover on the phone which I was going to put on anyways. It's still an awesome product and compared to the other devices on the market, it continues to be the most properly integrated, easy to use, well thought out device. When looking at the direct competitors they have a while to go before comparing to the iPhone.

16. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Yes, as a long standing Apple customer who spends thousands with them annually, they have failed to live up to their normal standard. Their credibility has most certainly taken a hit.

I ordered an iPhone 4 to replace my 3Gs based on the exciting new features, the stellar design, and Steve Jobs touting of the new improved antenna.

As a participant at WWDC, I was in the audience and heard his keynote. It all seemed quite exciting. In addition, I buy the latest Apple MacBook Pro, and iPhone when each of them are upgraded. Apple shipped a product which in my opinion was not fully tested and ready for release. The antenna problem is too obvious to miss.

Here's an excerpt from another article

"Consumers, questioning Apple's supply chain management capability, have started to look for alternative devices. In particular, consumers are not satisfied with Apple's response to the antenna issue causing poor reception and dropped calls."

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ock_viewed_as_competitive_risk_for_apple.html

17. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Yep, credibility totally destroyed. That's probably why there are still lines at Apple Stores all over the world, and people camped out overnight at AT&T. Not to mention the millions sold in three days. Man, this thing is a piece.

18. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

19. dmelgar macrumors 68000

To me the distinction is that prior problems have either been minor, typical of competitors, were production defects with some units, or software could fix it. Apple has always had excellent customer service and would make it right, swapping units or fixing it.

This time, this problem, 'seems' to be widespread, likely affects all iPhone 4s and seems to be a fundamental hardware design issue that cannot be fixed by software or swapping out the phone.

Apple has not acknowledged there is a problem and has not offered any way to fix or resolve it.

IF the problem is as bad as it seems and IF Apple really can't do anything to fix it short of a recall, or worse if Apple tries to ignore it and its major.... then it could destroy Apple's reputation and brand.

Brand loyalty is the most precious asset a company like Apple has. A full recall would be expensive monetarily, but would be cheap compared to the potential damage to the brand if they don't do anything.

20. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

outside of this whine and troll ridden forum I haven't heard any complaints ;)

21. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

We needed another thread on this?

There seriously aren't like 500 other threads where this is being discussed?

22. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

Just reading another thread where credibility was mentioned, and alas, here's a whole new thread about it. Whaddya know.

Unicorn bumper cases.

23. samcraig macrumors P6

Your sarcasm aside. And with respect to the OP - no one said Apple's credibility was destroyed. The question raised - and it's valid - is whether or not the iPhone 4 has hurt Apple's credibility.

Truth is - we won't know for awhile. It will take time for people to get their phones, use them and determine whether or not they keep them.

One thing I am pretty sure on is - that next year, with the new release, while there will be no doubt thousands of pre-orders - people will do so with a new mindset that they can't wait to get it ANNNNND that they hope there aren't the same issues with the new phone that there were with this one. And no doubt the press will mention this years release next year.

And if that's the case - then yes - Apple's credibility will have been "hurt."

24. shakenmartini macrumors 6502

I wonder if all the trolls aren't in fact paid shills for another company?

I don't see near the trolling on other forums (e.g. Arstechnica) as there are here.

There are just too many "long time apple lovers" who just registered and who "just got and iPhone 4" and "it has major flaws/reception issues/etc." and now they are returning it and switching to and android device.

Not only that, none of these trolls notice that there are 500 other identical threads posted on the same exact topic.

25. cwubbels macrumors regular

cwubbels

What OS bugs have plagued iPhone 4? I have yet to find a problem with the OS...