Has the iPhone changed your life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sers, Dec 22, 2009.

1. sers macrumors regular

I'm sure there are probably some other threads like this, but I wanted to start my own.

Has the iPhone changed your life? It has for me. I have never had a device that has done so much for me and made my life so much easier and in many ways, less stressful. Without it, I feel lost. It's with me day and night; I take it to work, to bed, to the john, while travelling, etc., etc., etc. Obssessive compulsive behaviour? Perhaps, but no other device I've owned has ever allowed me to….

- track my appointments
    - send text messages
    - let me create, edit and send Word and Excel files
    - carry all my photos, music and movies
    - carry my entire library of books (I find I'm reading more books because of the iPhone)
    - track my daily calories and workouts
    - show me what's on TV and playing in the movie theatres
    - record video, take pictures and edit them
    - check the weather
    - take notes and voice recordings
    - surf the web and write emails
    - convert units, translate languages and level my pictures
    - provide me with driving directions and find me when I'm lost
    - listen to pretty much any radio station I want
    - sell and buy on ebay
    - track flights, check me in at the airport and tell me when my flight's been delayed
    - tell me what planets are in the sky at any given time
    - provide me with medical information
    - provide hours of fun for my kids
    - play games
    - and on, and on, and on, and;
    - oh yeah, I forgot, make phone calls.

….all in a seemless and effortless way. I don't even bother carrying my laptop with me anymore and the need for a netbook just isn't there (I doubt there's a netbook out there than can do all this). Sure there have been and are other devices that were able and can do the same, but none do it as easily and seemlessly as the iPhone. Plus, it syncs so easily with my mac that I never have to fiddle or worry about it; just one click and forget it. The iPhone has truly changed my life. Am I nuts or are there others out there like me?

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I'm pretty sure you're nuts. Sorry. I haven't found my iPhone to be life changing. It's certainly simplified my life in some ways (particularly reducing the amount of stuff I carry about). But would my life take a turn for the worse if I didn't have it any more? Certainly not. :)

3. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Yes.

I actually spend about 10 minutes on avg. more in the toilet after getting an iPhone. I am serious.

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I agree. I sit on the crapper a whole lot longer now that I have an iPhone.

5. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

AT&T Commercial Remix:

Dad (on twitter): I..am...sitting...on...the...toilet.
    Son (in doorway): Dad, I know you're sitting on the toilet!!

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

If the iPhone significantly changes your life, you need to reevaluate said life. That having been said, there is no longer a need for magazines or newspapers in the bathroom.

7. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

I am pretty sure the OP didn't mean it quite literally. May be lifestyle would be more fitting. It certainly did for me. I spend a lot more time now before sleeping and getting out of bed doing something on the iPhone. Being reading news, playing games, or watching some youtube vids. Same goes to being on the road or in a train. Checking schedules on the go instead of having to go to the bus station...etc. It certainly changed the way I do things, how my day flows and what I actually do during any given day*.

*Refer to previous post for another example.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Make that another person. :)

9. sers thread starter macrumors regular

Well, yes, admittedly I do end up spending more time on the crapper. :D

It just seems that I'm using the iPhone like no other device I've ever had. Never took any other phone to the crapper before!!:p

10. Internaut macrumors 6502a

What the iPhone does

I'm not sure about life changing but what the iPhone does is do a lot of things that any other Smart Phone does but a whole lot better. Suddenly it is worth doing things I couldn't be bothered doing before. I use mine to:

- Update Twitter and Facebook (the available applicatons make it worth it)
    - Browse the web casually (only worth doing when absolutely necessary on my Nokia)
    - Watch movies and listen to music (zero effort)
    - Write blogs
    - Find my way around
    - Check flight status
    - Check the weather.

And other things (appointments and email) that the iPhone makes effortless..

11. great high wolf macrumors regular

great high wolf

And me. Admittedly, it started off as an iPod touch, so I could sit on my own toilet longer, but now I have an iPhone, I can sit on other people's toilets longer too! :D

12. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    CHANGED MY LIFE?..... aaaahhhhh nope...

boy I would have loved to see a simple YES or NO poll question on this one!!

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Hate to play dictionary's advocate, but if your life was simplified, then it did change your life. OP never said he found iJesus, but I'm right there with him on a lot of stuff it makes easier or just possible.

I'm able to find out just about any info from anywhere now. That's pretty much a great addition that makes everything in life simpler -- provided I have a signal.

14. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

Just another laundry list of things people use their phone for.

15. drpellypo macrumors 6502

At work, I hear this more and more. 'Paul's got an iPhone - he'll find out.' Whether it be for flights, general knowledge, or to find out what a song by such and such sounds like, even non iPhone users recognise it's power and usefulness. If by, save time and effort, it's life changing, then yes, for me it has.

16. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I've only had my phone a week and already have seen changes. No more newspaper for one. More time in the bathroom. And not being bored on airplanes. In fact I am typing this now flying on airtran. I'm sure there will be new discoveries down the road. Maybe not life chancing but life enhancing.

17. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I confess as well :)

And yes, it's life changing. No, I wouldn't die if I didn't have an iPhone but come on. The iPhone can do that much and it's just lovely to use. It's a great phone.

18. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

It's definitely the device I'm most addicted to. I'm always messing around with it or flipping through my iPod. I don't know about using it on the toilet though, just think of all those nasty toilet germs, yuck! I do love it though.

19. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

Definately change the way I do my job at work.:D

20. No ice please macrumors 6502

Yeah, I find I use my computer less since its more convenient to use my iphone to use the Internet. I also use it a lot in school and to look up problems and research. I even end up using it for music more then my computer I'll plug the speakers into the iphone and plug the usb into the xbox 360.

21. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Im not going to say I cant live without it, but its pretty close.

This thing is DEF my mem reminder. Ive actually become TOO reliant on it. Birthdays, rent, car payment etc.
    It rarely leaves my side because of the things it does for me. Even at home. Scarry!

22. iKristen macrumors member

It hasn't changed my life per say, but it has made things a lot easier for me. I used to hate packing up my laptop to take it anywhere, now I just have my iphone.

23. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I'm *kinda* there with this guy.

I say kinda because I'm not reliant on it but it helps me stay on top of the little things that would normally slip my mind. My memory is far from even "fair" so there's no way I'd remember all of my friend's birthdays (strange because I remember phone numbers no problem) but the iPhone has me covered with push notifications.

Also being able to keep an accurate record of my account balances and daily expenditures has been extremely useful in helping me build a budget.

24. strike1555 macrumors 6502

No, it hasn't changed my life a bit.

It's a phone, not a social movement you freak.

25. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

I'm reading this thread while in the crapper, seems to be pretty common apparently. No doubt some of the water damaged phones have water sensors that are more of a brownish pink. :)

We live in a world that is driven by information, so it seems to me a device that does pretty much revolutionize the way you access information is significant. Is it on a level with my son being born, well not quite, but it still has added a lot to my life, and, I do have a full life aside from the phone. I'm like many people who thrive on information, gadgetry, added utility, various types of media and no device I've ever owned has changed my life as much in those ways.

I still use my laptop a lot, but not nearly as much as I used to, the 3g wasn't strong enough for that, but the 3gs is, and has become at least a fair laptop replacement addmittedly with some limitations, ultimately we're always going to be limited by screen size.