Has your iPad nearly replaced your notebook?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by prosoptomist, Jul 4, 2012.

1. prosoptomist macrumors newbie

I've seen a few conversations on this site mentioning people using their notebooks a lot less frequent now that they own an iPad.

Based on your uses, has the iPad nearly (or completely) replaced your old computing methods? I am aware that to set up an iPad, you need an actual computer to sync, and doing hardcore production or serious multitasking might be done best on a notebook. Besides those obvious points, share your experiences!

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It had but not any more.

I hardly touched my old MBP for months after getting the iPad last November and had even removed the memory to update my PC.

I've now formed a new band and started using Logic and Mainstage so the MBP has been reactivated and is getting regular use again.

3. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

Yes. Since I already have a Mac pro at work, my iPad is the only thing I bring to the office for personal uses like email and browsing. I used to bring my MBP everyday, but now it just sits in my home office.

4. 617aircav Suspended

Only when I'm in bed or need to view things on the move. It can never replace my laptop. My laptop does so much more.

5. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Almost, but only because I have an iMac. The laptop never goes anywhere unless I'm traveling for more than a day at a time and may need to do work that the iPad can't handle. iPad is just about always with me.

6. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I use the iPad when I'm travelling (I have the 3g version) and for news/books etc, but TBH if I didn't have it, I wouldn't really miss it that much. If it wasn't so handy as a testbench for web development purposes, I'd be tempted to sell it, frankly. My MBP gets used a LOT more...

7. erasr macrumors 6502

I bought a 32gb iPad 2 weeks ago. I also have a 2011 Air.
    For the first two weeks I didn't touch my Air. I loved holding the iPad close and reading stuff, although massively missed swipe gestures.

As time has gone on I'm starting to get a little frustrated when I have to type something more than a couple of sentences (on my iPad). So last night, for the first time in two weeks, I whipped out the Air and did some Internet browsing on that. I have to say, it far easier on the air if you're just sitting on the sofa.

The gestures to swipe back and forth, the ease of typing quickly in forums, the ease of paying for goods online, all makes my iPad feel a bit 'awkward'. However, the colours and the screen on the iPad are stunning. It's perfect for those times when you just want to quickly look at a website or catch up TV. Like this morning, I automatically picked up my iPad to view a newspaper website. Because its quicker to load up.

Tough call you see! Love my iPad, just finding it slightly awkward at times compared to the flawless trackpad/keyboard combo of a notebook.

Edit-I do absolutely all my work stuff on the Air, the iPad stays at home for now for casual use.

8. jojoba, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012

jojoba macrumors 68000

It had replaced certain tasks, primarily note taking and web browsing. It has also replaced a lot of pen and paper, or paper only tasks. I have a particular division of labour between my Air and my iPad that works very well for me. My iPad is my main portability device. If I go away for more than two days, I bring my air.

9. HiddenPuppy macrumors 6502

HiddenPuppy

Yes, it has done it without a problem, I do have a desktop and the iPad replaced the notebook for travel.

HiddenPuppy

10. nparmelee macrumors 6502

Well my MBP sits on my desk most of the time now at home. When it eventually dies I'll replace it with an IMac and use my iPad away from my desk. I've gotten used to the iPad keyboard and with Pages and Numbers and other apps, I can do most of what I need to do with it.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

I use the iPad pretty much just for reading books; too many books these days have type that is too small for me to read. The eye doctor recommended and e-book reader and it's really great.
    I did get a LTE iPad so I can use it while traveling instead of MBP.

MBP still gets the most use - it's too hard to type on the iPad. I touch type.

12. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

Pretty much, in combination with my iPhone. I use my laptop for work and basically nothing else. My desktop computer has suffered a similar fate.

13. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Mine has replaced it completely. Sold my MBP for this iPad and it's great. The iPad feels truely mobile whereas the MBP felt stuck between the mobility of an iPad and a desktop computer. This said, I am the kind of person for whom the MBP was overkill to begin with anyway, so it depends on your usage scenario. I have a Mac Mini, but barely fire that up at all unless I need to access an occasional site that does not display properly on the iPad or when I am typing- I prefer the Mac for typing papers.

14. titatom macrumors regular

I just bough an iPad specifically for that reason : filling in my mobile needs.

My Hackintosh (desktop) does the heavy lifting (video and photo editing) as well as playback movies on a larger screen.
    iPad is used for everything else when I'm not in my bedroom/office. Web, email, skype, you name it.

I though of buying an Air but it seemed overkill.

15. nishishei macrumors regular

I think it can only replace your laptop if you bought a $1300 MBP to surf the net, check email, take some notes and read PDFs. But for any of us who do a lot of non-consumer work like statistics, spreadsheets or coding, there's no way the iPad can replace a notebook.

16. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

until my employer supports the use of an iPad when teleworking via VPN (my employer requires such an extreme level of security and the iPad has not been approved yet), i will always need to have some sort of laptop with me if i have something work-related to do.

from a personal use standpoint, yes...my laptop has essentially turned into a desktop and i use my iPad for almost all things personal on the go

however as mentioned earlier, i need a laptop with me due to work regardless of the change in my personal usage. i think it's only a matter of time before the iPad becomes fully supported

17. Rodster macrumors 68040

No and never. ;)

The iPad or any Tablet doesn't come close to what a laptop or PC can do for me. Besides it's still much easier using a physical keyboard and mouse. I find editing anything on a Tablet to be cumbersome at best. Although the iPad has the best virtual keyboard for typing of any Tablet and I have both Android and iOS Tablets.

18. boomboom2 macrumors regular

No way. It's way too limited in functionality. I can't even send email attachments with it which is my biggest gripe from a work standpoint. I love it for reading and bed browsing, but for anything else I use my laptop. I always have multiple tabs and windows open. Can't come close to replacing that functionality on my ipad.

19. mobutt macrumors 6502

Besides programming I pretty much exclusively use my iPad. Actually considering selling the Air.

20. MikeM87 macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Mine has in terms of quick browsing on the Internet but when I want to sit down and look at something where more concentration is required I use the MacBook or iMac.

To me the iPad is not a replacement for the laptop it's an in between. I mostly use the iPad for videos, music and the odd game but mostly web browsing, actually typing this reply of the iPad now!

21. Gatecitybee macrumors member

Gatecitybee

It almost completely replaced mine. My laptop hasn't been taken out of my house in at least a year.

22. number84 macrumors 6502

I won't be buying another notebook, that's for sure. iPad for portable use inside and outside of the home. Desktop as a server/storage and for things I can't do on my iPad...such as specific tax software that doesn't have an app.

23. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I'd say 80% but it really depends on the task at hand. Sometimes you just can't beat a full os

24. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

My work & personal computer requires a real computer with a filing system, high performance resources etc.

My iPad is for light web browsing & that's about all it's good for.

It's fun & that's all. A device I could easily live without.

25. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

Mine has absolutely replaced the basics of my macbook. browsing, email, social networking, etc. is done on the iPad most of the time. My macbook ends up being more as my hub at home. that and the more heavy lifting i do for school or work.

the spread is definitely closer to maybe 85% iPad: 15%MacBook.