Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did your Radeon 4850 iMac freeze more than once?

• Yes

Votes: 65 58.0%
  • No

Votes: 47 42.0%

• Total voters

palantas

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2009
I received my Imac 1 week ago and after about 1 hour it froze the first time. Since then it has frozen 1-2 times every day. It can happen when doing work with my statistical programme (Stata) or using Word. It also has happened when I just put the machine to play Itunes and went away. When I came back it had frozen.

I have been using WIFI all the time.

Today I have switched WIFI off and started using Ethernet cable instead. Until now no freezes, but I have only been using it for a few hours. Will keep you posted if a freeze occur.

EDIT: At no time have I been using any heavy applications and my CPU temperature was never above 46 Celcius, aswell as the gfx processor is not above 55 celcius. I don't have the feeling this is related to a heating issue.
---
Imac 24", 2,93GhZ Intl Core 2 duo, 4850 ATI Radeon, 4Gb DDR3

snouo79

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2009
HW: iMac 24" Ati4850 based (ordered March, 5th - Arrived mid of April)
Problem: freezing multiple times a day
Solution: ordered a replacement

They are going to ship the new iMac by April, 30th.

I will not send my iMac 'til the new one will arrive.

Ciao

Fabio

maverick72

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
HW: iMac 24" Ati4850 based (ordered March, 5th - Arrived mid of April)
Problem: freezing multiple times a day
Solution: ordered a replacement

They are going to ship the new iMac by April, 30th.

I will not send my iMac 'til the new one will arrive.

Ciao

Fabio

Did you actually bother to read SOME of the posts here?

My guess is not but if you would have, you would've at least include if you are using wifi or not and if its disabled.

cwazytech

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2009
Colorado
I've had mine since 4-16, and was crossing my fingers, but I've had two lock-ups since. Both times using Safari. My hookup is WIFI and Bluetooth on.:confused:

GonzoRob

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
I've had mine since 4-16, and was crossing my fingers, but I've had two lock-ups since. Both times using Safari. My hookup is WIFI and Bluetooth on.:confused:

can you try with bluetooth off ? it's the only option currently untested ...

Malacoda

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2009
Meridian, ID
I picked mine up yesterday and haven't experienced any freezes so far. I have ran World of Warcraft, and City of Heroes without issues, and let it run the iTunes visualizer at fullscreen for some time, and no hiccups so far.

WiFi is disabled.

I am hoping I dodged this bullet.

davemulheran

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
UK - London/Kent
I think it is DEFFO wifi related!

Where is the wifi card situated? is it near the graphics card?

graphics card getting too hot and affecting the WIFI card, causing a screen lock?

pocketrocket

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2009
UK iMac

24" 1Tb Radeon HD4850 3.06gHz
Ordered it 6 weeks ago or there abouts.
Received on Friday 17th April

Problems shifting stuff over from g4 Sawtooth over to mac (wouldn't recognise TDM - appears to be an issue with old G4's not intel iMacs).

After getting all stuff onto the machine and loading it with all the creative softwear I use daily (Quark8, Adobe CS4, etc) popped on iTunes and whamo! Freeze.

Replicated this freeze over and over again (in total I probably made it freeze over a dozen times). WiFi was on throughout this period to stream iTunes radio. Bluetooth was also on.

The machine was NOT under any CPU load at the time, just a usual graphical load running iTunes visualiser.

All temps fine and within normal expected ranges, all fans working, OS updated and all other sftware updates in place.

Have sent machine back to retailer in UK today and await their technical depts opinion. Will be requesting a NEW machine asap with identical spec.

GonzoRob

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
i testest the wifi last night, didnt seem to make a difference - could you guys with crashing imacs try with no bluetooth (or just one mouse or keyboard)?

davemulheran

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
UK - London/Kent
i testest the wifi last night, didnt seem to make a difference - could you guys with crashing imacs try with no bluetooth (or just one mouse or keyboard)?

i use a wireless mighty louse and a wired keyboard. I can try using a wired mouse tonight and see if it still crashes. If it does, I will spend an evening on it, with wifi disconnected.. see how I get on

Topo-kun

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2009
GonzoRob said:

Also one with freezes and no bluetooth 6 post over

3.06 shipped April 17, received April 20. Two lockups.

WiFi ON
BlueTooth OFF
iStat Pro temps for GPU are high when it happens.

After my experiments yesterday, I am really convinced that it has to do with the wifi... :)

I told applecare so when i asked for a replacement, hope it helps :rolleyes:

babsvii

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
Canada
i got my imac today been using it for the last 5 hours hasnt froze on me at all... im loving it... best thing i have ever bought!!!

snouo79

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2009
Did you actually bother to read SOME of the posts here?

My guess is not but if you would have, you would've at least include if you are using wifi or not and if its disabled.

Dear maverick72, thank you for your meticulousness.

I tried with:

- WiFi ON/OF and BT ON/OFF (all the combinations)
- Reset PRAM and PMU

no results...

I hope this can help and I'm sorry for the LOI...

turbowolf42

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2009
Germany
Got my iMac 24" 3.06gHz ATI Radeon HD 4850 on monday.
Didn't have any freezes... watched some HD Movies, played Warhammer Online under Win XP in 1920x1200 witch high quality settings and tried many other CPU and GPU stressing things under Mac OS X and WinXP...

WiFi Off
Bluetooth Off
iMac Fan Control installed

davemulheran

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
UK - London/Kent
I've been looking at the poll results.

42 people havent experienced freezes???

well where the hell are they? I havent seen more than 6-7 people post on this forum stating they have had NO freezes!!

i smell ******** voting!!

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
I've been looking at the poll results.

42 people havent experienced freezes???

well where the hell are they? I havent seen more than 6-7 people post on this forum stating they have had NO freezes!!

i smell ******** voting!!

I don't have freezing yet with my iMac, and I voted that way. It's pretty typical for the people with the problem to spend a lot more time posting about the problem than those who don't have the problem.

I'd suspect that the voting is slanted based on that fact too.

adrianhon

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2004
Oxford
I initially thought I had no freezes and voted that way, but then I got three. Oh well - you can subtract one from that total.

No idea what's causing it; I am using wireless, for what that's worth. Haven't had a freeze for two days either, which is nice, although I did have two freezes in a row on Monday.

Azmordean

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2004
Silicon Valley
How did you wangle that one as other users are reporting they have to send their machine back before they will even begin to build the new one.

I don't have an iMac but I thought I'd share this little tip as it may help some of you guys out. I went through this when I had to have my MBP replaced. Initially they wanted me to send mine back, and said they'd send the new one when the received mine.

I said that wouldn't do, I needed the computer until I received the new one (it was a screen issue, so it worked fine with my external monitor).

Their accommodation was to submit the new MBP as a new order and charge me for it on my credit card, then credit the full amount when they received the old one back. Worked flawlessly, and to me, having an extra MBP on my credit card for 2 weeks was no biggie compared to being computerless.

So, those of you facing this issue, consider suggesting that to the representative if you need your computer.

Eftimes

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2009
Got my imac 3.06 yesterday with Hd Radeon 4850 have had 3 freeze all when watching videos on Hulu if that helps.

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
I don't have freezing yet with my iMac, and I voted that way. It's pretty typical for the people with the problem to spend a lot more time posting about the problem than those who don't have the problem.

I'd suspect that the voting is slanted based on that fact too.

jmpage2, Just curious, have you ever ran iTunes for about 2 hours with full screen visualizer to see if it would freeze? That seems to be the only place mine does freeze. In 5 days it froze on me 2 times. Once on the 3rd song I played and the 2nd time it did it , it did not happen until 2 hours into the playing the playlist. So I am wondering if I never would have used iTunes would it have froze on me?

Omni Geno

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2005
Los Angeles, CA, USA
jmpage2, Just curious, have you ever ran iTunes for about 2 hours with full screen visualizer to see if it would freeze? That seems to be the only place mine does freeze. In 5 days it froze on me 2 times. Once on the 3rd song I played and the 2nd time it did it , it did not happen until 2 hours into the playing the playlist. So I am wondering if I never would have used iTunes would it have froze on me?

Hey WizardHunt. I'm not jmpage2, but I thought I'd give my input. I went away to a family gathering yesterday afternoon and kept the iMac on from about 4-10pm. It was running Adium, Skype, and iTunes with visualizer fullscreen (playing a playlist at the same time of course) with wifi off. No freezes.

It is still the case for me that I've had no freezes while using ethernet; only wifi.

I installed Crossover Games and downloaded Steam and did some stuff on there, all while running Safari w/ some videos and iTunes music in the background. No freezes with ethernet, even though my iMac got really hot during the time.

How bizarre that many of the things people have said to try in order to make it freeze do not do the trick for everyone.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007

I have run iTunes with full screen visualizer over night (for about 10 hours) with no ill effects.

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
I have run iTunes with full screen visualizer over night (for about 10 hours) with no ill effects.

That does it. Then I am going to send mine back. Mine should not do this. Can you answer one more thing for me? When you transferred your files over to your new iMac, did you use Time machine or Mac to Mac transfer or did you do a clean install?

I am wondering if I do a clean install if that would fix things? If anyone has a answer here feel free to jump in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.