Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did your Radeon 4850 iMac freeze more than once?

• Yes

Votes: 65 58.0%
  • No

Votes: 47 42.0%

• Total voters

Tymbo

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2009
That does it. Then I am going to send mine back. Mine should not do this. Can you answer one more thing for me? When you transferred your files over to your new iMac, did you use Time machine or Mac to Mac transfer or did you do a clean install?

I am wondering if I do a clean install if that would fix things? If anyone has a answer here feel free to jump in.

I've read posts of people doing clean installs and witness it freeze on the install!

PoweredbyNorth

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2009
3.06Ghz, 1Tb, 4850, wired KB+mouse, Wifi via timecapsule, Bluetooth on.

No freezes for me so far.... received mine 6 days ago, used it intensively since. Played Team Fortress 2 (first via CrossOver, but that wasn't satisfying so installed Vista with Bootcamp, runs perfect now!), used iTunes, iPhoto, copied 100Gb of files, used Safari, Mail, etc. etc. All runs very fine without any hassle.

Good luck for those who have a freezing iMac. Hope issues are resolved soon.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
That does it. Then I am going to send mine back. Mine should not do this. Can you answer one more thing for me? When you transferred your files over to your new iMac, did you use Time machine or Mac to Mac transfer or did you do a clean install?

I am wondering if I do a clean install if that would fix things? If anyone has a answer here feel free to jump in.

The only thing I haven't tested is whether it locks up on wireless. Since I don't plan to use wireless any time in the near future (if ever) I don't really have any plans to test it out. I'm quite happy using my Mac on a wired ethernet connection to my very fast home network.

I did not transfer anything over to the new iMac other than manually moving over my mail, book marks and a few other things. Most of my stuff is stored on a local network storage set up so I don't have much to move around.

So basically I pulled it out of the box, turned it on, did updates and that's about it. I've only loaded about a dozen applications on it so far (MS Office, Keepass-X, True-Crypt-X, etc).

And so far, zero crashes.

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
The only thing I haven't tested is whether it locks up on wireless. Since I don't plan to use wireless any time in the near future (if ever) I don't really have any plans to test it out. I'm quite happy using my Mac on a wired ethernet connection to my very fast home network.

I did not transfer anything over to the new iMac other than manually moving over my mail, book marks and a few other things. Most of my stuff is stored on a local network storage set up so I don't have much to move around.

So basically I pulled it out of the box, turned it on, did updates and that's about it. I've only loaded about a dozen applications on it so far (MS Office, Keepass-X, True-Crypt-X, etc).

And so far, zero crashes.

So then since you are not using wireless, and having no freezes, then the wired part is your safe net. Since your machine will not be hooked up to wireless then you may never know if yours is affected or not.

In reality this situation that you are in where you did not use Wireless might be the others on the forum that are not having trouble either. This is interesting. Good for you though since you are not having any freeze ups.

I am doing a test of bypassing my airport extreme router at this time and running itunes with visualizer at full screen while surfing the internet at the same time and so far about 3 hours into this test no lock ups. I may leave it all night and see how it goes. If it does not lock up then I would have to think it is the wireless part for sure. The question is would it be my airport extreme that is causing the problem or the wireless logic card inside the machine that is causing this? Apple should be testing this not me. I am just trying to keep from sending back my machine unless i really have to.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Got my iMac 24" 3.06gHz ATI Radeon HD 4850 on monday.
Didn't have any freezes... watched some HD Movies, played Warhammer Online under Win XP in 1920x1200 witch high quality settings and tried many other CPU and GPU stressing things under Mac OS X and WinXP...

WiFi Off
Bluetooth Off
iMac Fan Control installed

I've been thinking about getting this iMac so I can play WAR at full settings. I play on lowest right now.

How well does WAR run at max settings?

turbowolf42

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2009
Germany
I've been thinking about getting this iMac so I can play WAR at full settings. I play on lowest right now.

How well does WAR run at max settings?

I would say it runs good, not really great but it's playable... I switched to some lower settings to get better FPS

VulnoX

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
I just had the 2.93GHz, 4GB, 4850 delivered about an hour ago. I transfered 3GB of music, played a bunch (with Visualizer on), am currently doign WoW's Download/Installer, and am downloading apps for the Mac.

All on WiFi, only been an hour, but 0 lockups so far. If it makes it through the next 4 hours, including some gaming, I will relax a little bit.

VulnoX

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
Ok, I have transferred about 10GB now over WiFi, been installing WoW, played a half hour of HD video, and run the iTunes visualizer.

Anyone have anything else for me to use to get it to freeze? I don't want it to, but before I hand it off I want it to be working right.

straleno

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2009
Took a couple of days before mine froze, but running the visualizer full screen did the trick the first time. Second time, I was just posting to this forum.

VulnoX

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
Took a couple of days before mine froze, but running the visualizer full screen did the trick the first time. Second time, I was just posting to this forum.

Alright, I wasn't running it fullscreen before. I have it on full, transferring stuff over the wireless network, and installing/downloading WoW. Fingers crossed nothing happens today... or later.

Sir Loin Steak

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
England
I can't say I've had a lockup, exactly, but what has happened about three times now is the mouses freezing.

I can still use Safari using keys, but not the mouse.

Forces me to hard reboot the mac.

Is this what folks mean by 'freezing'?

I'm using wifi.

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
Is this what folks mean by 'freezing'?

No. The freeze is when the whole system locks up; no keyboard or mouse ability. To verify the hardware freeze portion, try to turn caps lock on/off. there is no change in the LED for it. The screen freezes and some people have their audio repeat over and over. The only way out is to force a power off by holding the power button on the left-rear.

Sir Loin Steak

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
England
Well, while the mouse freezing is a pain, it's a bit of a relief (for me) that I haven't had a system lockup as others are describing.

I surf a bit, download from you tube, use handbrake, google earth, mail etc., nothing that demanding I should think.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
well;
after reading all these posts I was really worried, see I had just ordered a iMac 24" for my dad (73 years old) to replace his 3 year old WinTel and its delivery date is Friday 5/1, I did not want to deal with this issue. :(

Then, found out I ordered the entry 24" for him, 2.66Ghz w/NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics, so appears by not getting the fastest "hot rod" specs lucked out in this situation. :D
(unless there are issues with his 24" iMac that I've not seen here)

His order:
IMAC 24"/2.66/SD Z0FP $1,649.00 1 $1,649.00
With the following configuration:
PROCESSOR 065-8308 2.66GHZ INTEL CORE 2 DUO
MEMORY 065-8042 4GB 1066MHZ DDR3 SDRAM-2X2GB
HARD DRIVE 065-8048 1.0TB SERIAL ATA DRIVE
MOUSE 065-8061 APPLE WIRELESS MIGHTY MOUSE
APPLE KEYBOARD & USER'S GUIDE 065-8052 WL KYBD & USER'S GUIDE
COUNTRY KIT 065-8055 COUNTRY KIT,IMAC 24
Ships: 1 - 3 business days
Delivers: Apr 29 - May 5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.