Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your sapphire screen scratched yet?

• Yes

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • No

Votes: 87 84.5%

• Total voters

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I know, people haven't even had it for 2 days yet. I thought i might as well start this thread early and bump it every couple weeks for updates.

Omen87

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
Kansas, USA
Consumer Reports was unable to scratch the sapphire screen with anything that they had. They did not have a diamond-tipped pick to attempt to scratch it with, however.

Source

Reactions: 3568358

stavsetty

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2015
It's really hard to scratch sapphire crystal. Is this question out of worry?
If so, I think you mean the IonX.
There are very few things that'll scratch a true sapphire crystal.

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I accidentally click 'yes' which I meant it to be 'no'. And no, no scratches whatsoever on my SS screen. And I bumped my watch pretty often: chair, wall, desk, etc.

stavsetty

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2015
Your screen isn't gonna scratch unless years of use.
Stainless steel on the other hand scratches really easily. I would be worried about the casing, but not at all the screen.

blue rocket

Suspended
Jul 28, 2010
CT, USA
Please stop these useless posts.

Sapphire can scratch, deal with it. Treat your watch carefully and it will look good for a long time to come, if you are careless it will accumulate scratches, want one to stay prestine, get a G-shock.

Even being careful, accidents happen -- live with it and don't blame anyone but yourself.

Harrisonhud

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
Both of mine are all scratched up, but that's only because I cast a magic spell on them that imbued them with life, then made them fight a cage-match until their paltry batteries expired ... as they say, "as iron sharpens iron, so sapphire scratches sapphire."

Sorry, I just typed that to kill two minutes while I impatiently await my 42 SS w/ Leather Loop.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Your screen isn't gonna scratch unless years of use.
Stainless steel on the other hand scratches really easily. I would be worried about the casing, but not at all the screen.

Yep, I've got sapphire screen watches that have lasted 15 years of VERY heavy abuse and not a single blemish on them.

frumpy16

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Even the ion-x held up well to a kitchen grater, microplaner, and chef's knife in a video I watched. I'd imagine sapphire would do even better (but be relatively more prone to shattering than ion-x)

truesepho

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2014
Sapphire display SCRATCHED

Ok, look at the picture:

IMG_3091.jpg

How is it possible? Isn't this the impossible-to-scratch-if-not-with-a-diamond display? I don't have any diamonds...
The scratches are visible only direct a strong light, OK, but still... they are there. I don't mind of small scratches on the case, but on the display... Really?!? Do you think they are going to change it if I go to an Apple Store? :mad: :(

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Ok, look at the picture:

How is it possible? Isn't this the impossible-to-scratch-if-not-with-a-diamond display? I don't have any diamonds...
The scratches are visible only direct a strong light, OK, but still... they are there. I don't mind of small scratches on the case, but on the display... Really?!? Do you think they are going to change it if I go to an Apple Store? :mad: :(

It's the coating. By all means, speak to someone at Apple.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Interesting, was not expecting a saphhire scratch so quickly to be posted on here, do you remember making contact with anything ?

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Ok, look at the picture:

That's on the surface and not a defect on the OLED screen?

Your crystal came into contact with something really, really hard. A 9 or better on the Mohs scale. A silicon carbide drill bit?

Did it come out of the box that way? That might be the only way Apple is going to replace it for free.

truesepho

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2014
Interesting, was not expecting a saphhire scratch so quickly to be posted on here, do you remember making contact with anything ?
No, I'm being very careful, normal every day usage since I've got it.
This is so annoying... The display of my devices is what I care most :mad:

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
...yet everybody gets violently angry whenever somebody dares to talk about using as screen protector on their apple watch. :rolleyes:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

If you run your finger nail over it, can you feel it ? Wondering if it's scratched or possible damage from impact (crack). Maybe got dropped before you got it.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007

You sure it wasn't there when you got it and you just didn't notice? Who knows what kind of equipment is laying around at the factory. Something might have scratched it there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.