Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has your sapphire screen scratched yet?

• Yes

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • No

Votes: 87 84.5%

• Total voters

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
...yet everybody gets violently angry whenever somebody dares to talk about using as screen protector on their apple watch. :rolleyes:

people paid for sapphire screens so they did not need protectors :rolleyes:

mark34

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2006
What coating? There shouldn't be a coating. Anything you could coat it with would scratch, negating the purpose of sapphire in the first place.

I believe there is an oleophobic coating for fingerprints as there is on the iPhone. I'm not sure of this.

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
I was wondering whether the sapphire had the oleophobic coating or not.

The hairline scratches I have on my iPhone (only visible when direct light hits at certain angles) seem to be down to the oleophobic coating rather than actual screen scratches...so having it on a sapphire display seems like a bad idea, as that unscratchable display (I have several battered watches with pristine sapphire displays) is gonna look scratched eventually because of the coating.

truesepho

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2014
You sure it wasn't there when you got it and you just didn't notice? Who knows what kind of equipment is laying around at the factory. Something might have scratched it there.
Well, checking the screen with mi iPhone torch light is not the first thing I've done after I've got the watch lol :D

Do you reckon I should just walk in an Apple store for this or maybe I should call them?

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
Maybe they wanted to fill a few more Stainless Steel orders and used the normal glass because the sapphire yield was too low.

Maybe some jeweller has a test thingy shown in that video to verify.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
There's the coating of Apple's Marketing to tell you that you are buying a watch.

rmrivera

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Mine has also been scratched. I'm shocked after so much hype about the sapphire screen that I couldn't get through a weekend without a scratch and a scratch that goes from the top to the middle of the display.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Interesting, was not expecting a saphhire scratch so quickly to be posted on here, do you remember making contact with anything ?

Are you kidding? This is macrumors, anything is possible here.
I take them with a pinch of salt. Only diamond can scratch sapphire and that is a fact.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Ok, look at the picture:

How is it possible? Isn't this the impossible-to-scratch-if-not-with-a-diamond display? I don't have any diamonds...
The scratches are visible only direct a strong light, OK, but still... they are there. I don't mind of small scratches on the case, but on the display... Really?!? Do you think they are going to change it if I go to an Apple Store? :mad: :(

Wouldn't they be replacing them for you every few days forever, then?? It's doubtful the watch is "faulty".

truesepho

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2014
Wouldn't they be replacing them for you every few days forever, then?? It's doubtful the watch is "faulty".
They wouldn't as sapphire is not supposed to be so easy to scratch... I've never complained about anything, but this is obviously a problem that has to be fixed in a way or another...

iggypod

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Mine has also been scratched. I'm shocked after so much hype about the sapphire screen that I couldn't get through a weekend without a scratch and a scratch that goes from the top to the middle of the display.

Oh man. Did you contact apple?

J4B3

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
Gamma Quadrant
Maybe you should just sell it (for a hefty profit if it's a 42mm) and use the profit to get a 'free' Sport model. Then just wait for gen 2.

I'm honestly at a loss thinking about a common element harder than sapphire that you might have encountered. Very strange.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
I take them with a pinch of salt. Only diamond can scratch sapphire and that is a fact.

Me not english well. You say pinch salt scratch sapphire???

truesepho

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2014
Small update: I've been to an Apple Store. Of course, a problem like this would normally not be covered by warranty (...), but as the product is brand new Apple is calling back all the devices with "odd" problems (in my case, they couldn't explain how it got scratched, so they'll probably check if the scratch is under the display or what).
I'm the lucky third person in the world who had to return his watch.
At least is free of charge (!!!).
Now waiting 1-2 weeks to have it back :(

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Small update: I've been to an Apple Store. Of course, a problem like this would normally not be covered by warranty (...), but as the product is brand new Apple is calling back all the devices with "odd" problems (in my case, they couldn't explain how it got scratched, so they'll probably check if the scratch is under the display or what).
I'm the lucky third person in the world who had to return his watch.
At least is free of charge (!!!).
Now waiting 1-2 weeks to have it back :(

Well I'm glad Apple did the right thing.

Hustler

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2010
Dang man that sucks. Hope Apple can do something for you.
Maybe bumped hand to wrist with someone wearing a diamond wedding band? Sounds far fetched but my wife bump watches all the time when side by side, I try to plan which side to walk on so make it less likely lol.

H3rman

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015

Fact?! Think you need to check your facts! Sapphire is the 2nd hardest TRANSPARENT material, after diamond, however there are a few non-transparent materials which are harder than Sapphire.

Sapphire is a 9.5 on the mohs hardness scale, diamond is a 10, there are a few things which are in the 9.6-9.9 range which can (and will) scratch sapphire. Admittedly there are not many items in the 9.6-9.9 scale, but they do exist.

Also, is it just me or does the picture look like a gold milanese loop?? Maybe just the lighting though??

truesepho

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2014
Also, is it just me or does the picture look like a gold milanese loop?? Maybe just the lighting though??
It's just the light, I had a flash light pointed straight to the watch. I wish it was a gold milanese lol

Anyway, I really think that the scratch is UNDER the display even though it looks to be ON the display. What a shame :(
I hope to get it back next week, I was falling for this beautiful gadget...

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Dang man that sucks. Hope Apple can do something for you.
Maybe bumped hand to wrist with someone wearing a diamond wedding band? Sounds far fetched but my wife bump watches all the time when side by side, I try to plan which side to walk on so make it less likely lol.

Your wife should walk BEHIND you - then you won't risk her ring bumping your watch. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.