Haswell 13" rMBP general UI lag? Underpowered?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by commac, Nov 8, 2013.

1. commac, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013

commac macrumors regular

I have a powerhouse desktop for heavy lifting but I want a personal portable station that is powerful enough for my girlfriend to use hooked up to an external display when she comes over and has graphic work to do.

I was really excited about the Haswell 13" rMBP as it promised to be the perfect blend of portability and power.

After a few trips the apple store I am disappointed.

There is noticeable(to me) UI lag on all the 13" models I used in the store.
    When connected to the 27" cinema display it get even worse... to the point Photoshop takes 3 seconds to register a [TAB] UI change which should be instant and drawing simple vectors on a 150dpi canvas feels sluggish.

On top of that, people are reporting lag when browsing the net which is pretty sad.

Contrast this with all the people saying they see no UI lag at all makes this a hard decision.

I now starting to consider the 15" rMBP and the MBA 13" which dont seem to share these issues and feel very snappy in comparison.

Unfortunately, neither of these machine seems to be "the perfect blend of portability and power".

Do any people here use the Haswell 13" rMBP for Adobe suit work and web development with an external display?

Could the lag I keep experiencing on the 13 rMBP just be from the laptops running hot from being on all day?

2. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

I don't use my 13" 2.8/16/1TB with external monitor but I do use it with heavy apps and it does fine. Maybe go check out the store models again in a few days as they will have likely applied the EFI update that addresses several issues.

3. richard371 macrumors 68000

I have the 2.4/8/256 and no lag at all. its very zippy. I have all the updates applied.

4. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

I cant see how driving a lower resolution external display would be slower unless you mean multiple displays.

5. Omnirai macrumors member

I returned my rMBP 13"/8/128 due to that UI lag on scaled 1440x900 during normal tasks (web, office word, switching desktops,..

On some websites the lag was horrible, on some websites it was as it should be.. I dont know, ppl telling here there is no UI lag whatsoever is in my opinion *********.

6. qawsed macrumors regular

7. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

I don't know what kind of ninja word processing and excel-shizzle U B doin' but I've never heard of any computer in the past 5 years having problems keeping up with an office app UI re-draw...

My rMBP is fine (as was my 2011 MBA, and my mother's 2009 MB) - of course it might not be 60fps when word processing, but, I type at less than 10 characters per second, so the screen still has time to catch up...

8. Omnirai macrumors member

Sorry, I should specified.. On a larger (35 pages+) word file, scrolling in that document felt really laggy. I dont know if thats normal in OS X?

Anyways, im not going further into this. There ppl that dont experience any lag at all, I did experience it. I wasnt happy so I returned it.

9. richard371 macrumors 68000

Just downloaded the 1200 page king james bible in word 2011 and its fast. I scrolled through all 1200 pages. I have yet to find anything that lags on this computer. I even feel its faster then my 2012 iMac 27 prob due to the SSD.

BTW I work in the IT field and have been doing computer support for years.

10. Hog Milanese macrumors regular

Hog Milanese

It's definitely laggy, especially in Chrome. Very disappointing, especially w/ the native resolution. You end up with less usable space than on a 13" MB Air.

11. fitgirl macrumors 6502

fitgirl

Same here.

12. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Complete hard freeze and crashes…

What I got were hard freezes just adding one effect to an iMovie I made the entire thing froze, luckily it saved with the effects added on after I hit the power button because the mouse would move but couldn't click on anything, no rainbow beach ball, very odd. Every time I tried to make a video with the Photo Booth it would just crash the entire computer! So it was returned ASAP for my money back ^_^ Couldn't be happier about my snappy decision. Too bad for me. Maybe late Oct.2015 they'll get it right huh? Not.

13. cloudstrife87 macrumors newbie

Try using Safari instead. Chrome is not as optimised on Retina display.

14. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

i'm using chrome now with no lag. might be an extension

15. RobboMB, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013

RobboMB macrumors newbie

Ran mine last night for 7 hours hooked up to a 24" monitor over HDMI. Had video playing on the external monitor (couple of films in 1080) while I worked on the main screen. I've got the laptop screen set to the next one up from "best" (1440x900 if I remember right?) and I didn't notice much lag at all. This was while running gimp, Safari, iTunes (copying library across to iphone), vlc for the video and shunting a load of files about on the network.

In all honesty I was expecting to have problems after reading all the threads about it, so I tried to give it some real hammer. It was warm on the bottom and the fans did kick in a few times to noticeable levels when running the more complex filters in gimp, but given what it is I suspect it's not particularly well optimised for OSX.

It did stutter in a few places I'll admit, seems to be websites with large amounts of images and flash which cause the scroll lag, especially with all that going on in the background. I installed a flash blocker which helped a fair bit (flash only loads on click) but there's still a bit of a jump when scrolling. If to had to eyeball it I'd say it drops to maybe 10-15fps in places, still more than readable and it's not the end of the world for me.

I'm in the same position, I have a windows box for the heavy lifting and occasional bit of gaming, but to say I was sat at the same desk and only had to power it up, no real effort required, at no point did I feel as though I needed to or it'd be noticeably quicker than the MBP

Hope that helps

16. Penne macrumors newbie

What about flash games (farmville etc)? Do they lag too or is it just the scrollig?

17. rawraggi macrumors newbie

Checked out the 13" at an apple store yesterday, and to me, just swiping into mission control in 1680x1050 scaled was choppy.. Not to the point of "omg this pos is unusable!", but still odd in a laptop of this caliber.

Mind you, my girlfriend swore she didn't see it, and subsequently called me a pedantic nerd. :(

18. EatingApples macrumors member

ROFL...there you go...the trained eye, vs. the untrained eye :D

19. chrizzz09 macrumors regular

Haswell 13" rMBP general UI lag? Underpowered?

It's all Software related, the power of the Iris is more than enough for all of this task.

I even have the same lag when opening disk utility manager app on my Mac Pro with a fu***** Gtx 680. And this should be more than powerfull for opening a simple app!

It's how OS X renders the scaled resolutions that causes this lag.

With boot camp and windows 8.1 it runes smoother than in OS X. Simply because it has another method of scaling the interface etc for high resolution displays.

Apple really has to figure this out with updates, even the old rMBP with the hd 4000 should be capable of running the retina display.
    But until now they didn't do anything about this problem...

20. leman macrumors 604

Mission Control is indeed choppy on HiDPI mode when you have a lot of apps open. I am not quite sure why. However, that is probably the only thing which I would describe as 'UI lag' on retina. Yes, some applications may perform worse than expected - but that is mostly their fault for using suboptimal algorithms. Even some of Apple's apps suffers from it - like the App store and its horrible resize performance.

I doubt though that many people here work with Mission Control as their main application ;) That 1/5 second initial delay is surely annoying but far from being a deal breaker, at least for me.

----------

Apple's way also produces better image quality and is much easier on developers. Most OS X applications are immediately retina compatible and many others can be updated simply by copying higher-resolution artworks to the resources. Windows APIs are much less user-friendly in this regard...

21. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

22. copa, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013

copa macrumors member

copa

I noticed something similar with in-store rMBPs:

one elctronics retailer in Germany has all programs locked so you can't do anything on the machines really (stroke of genius... how am I supposed to know that this is the machine for me? anyway...).
    With a lack of options I just created three empty desktops and opened the only program I could: finder.

scrolling in the left column where it lists tags etc. was curiously sluggish. It looked like the panel was glued to the window and only reluctantly followed the scroll command... I couldn't have been a performance issue as such, but nontheless it wasn't behaving as it should IMO. I maximized the finder window and the maximizing-animation was equally terrible.

another thing I noticed was that when I was moving in and out of mission control with the 3 finger swipe up that there was noticable screen tearing (or whatever it's called, can't remember right now, sorry) on the bottom of the screen. It looked pretty much exactly like there was no v-sync going on, but I'm not at all sure whether there are other things that can cause this. This was both on moving in and out of mission control.

I'm chalking this up to some weird stuff going on with that particular machine that was on display in the store. I saw the 2012 rMBP on display in a store not too long ago and it wasn't displaying any of these issues running on its HD 4000. Could it be due to the presentation software that they are running on these machines?

Has anyone of you guys seen something similar?

first post by the way: hi macrumors-forums-people ;)

23. Fallingreason macrumors newbie

my late 2013 MBPr lagged in the UI more than my 2012 Air. Returned it and got a 2013 Air.
    Can't deal with feeling like I'm going backwards in performance, even if it just seems like it from animations and window resizing. This was in best for retina resolution.

I feel like the air's are actually more durable computers anyway, heard too many stories about how fragile the retina screens/lids are. I dropped my old air a few times and it took it like a champ. (I know I should be more careful)

Tried scaling but performance was horrible.

Retina display is overrated, especially if you have an iPad for reading.

24. richard371 macrumors 68000

I have the mid late 2013 rMBP and love the retina screen. I don't really notice enough/any lag to justify the non retina screen in the air. I find the Retina screen is much easier on the eyes and just looks amazing compared to the non Retina screen.

I have a feeling Apple will release mavricks updates etc that will tune things up a bit for people having lag. We are only at 10.9.0.

To each their own.

25. Kartram macrumors newbie

I have both, and noticed lag in both models, the cause can be a program like Dropbox or another background running process. Flash etc.

Chrome is not optimised for rMBP, use safari and pay attention to any extension that may be installed.