Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steiney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
Hello all!

I don't know if it's taboo to make a "predictions" post here, or this early, but I'm on a 2007 MBP and absolutely cannot wait for the new MBPs to come out so I can upgrade from 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 120GB 5400RPM HD to whatever is next.

I am personally guessing/hoping for same amount of processor cores but speeds in the 3GHz range, 32GB RAM capability (even if you can't get that much stock), cMBPs to still be available so I can do a striped RAID set up (one in the disk drive bay) and double my data speeds. I don't really care about the Retina display part too much. I've used both side by side (Retina and Classic), and it's nice to have the extra clarity, but I'd prefer the faster internal data speeds.

Well, feel free to post predictions or yell at me about posting a predictions thread. :)

steiney

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Im not too sure about the 3GHz but will be quad core again.
Probably around 2.7~28GHz turboboost up to 3.xGHz.

The 2011 15in 2.2GHz model and up can handle 32GB DDR3 module.
Except no such RAM exist yet...

cMBP should exist since r models are still expensive at this point.
Probably for another 2 years or so.

steiney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
I think cMBP will exist - not sure when 16GB sticks will be available.

Im not too sure about the 3GHz but will be quad core again.
Probably around 2.7~28GHz turboboost up to 3.xGHz.

The 2011 15in 2.2GHz model and up can handle 32GB DDR3 module.
Except no such RAM exist yet...

cMBP should exist since r models are still expensive at this point.
Probably for another 2 years or so.

The processors are already at 2.6 & 2.7. Don't you think they'd jump up more than 0.1GHz?

I wasn't aware the limitation with the RAM was the maximum that is currently produced in a single RAM stick.

I hope you're right about the cMBPs still being around! RAID 0, here I come! I'm thinking about using those enterprise level SSDs from OWC.

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
The processors are already at 2.6 & 2.7. Don't you think they'd jump up more than 0.1GHz?

I wasn't aware the limitation with the RAM was the maximum that is currently produced in a single RAM stick.

I hope you're right about the cMBPs still being around! RAID 0, here I come! I'm thinking about using those enterprise level SSDs from OWC.

The sound system on the Retinas alone makes anything else unacceptable for me. Unless, if they continue the CMBP, they install the same sound system, which I'm not sure they will do

steiney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
The sound system on the Retinas alone makes anything else unacceptable for me. Unless, if they continue the CMBP, they install the same sound system, which I'm not sure they will do

What's the deal with the sound system? I wasn't aware they had updated the speakers.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
What's the deal with the sound system? I wasn't aware they had updated the speakers.

I believe it is partly a byproduct of the updated thermal system. There are three vents on each side of the underside of the rMBP. In addition to improving the thermal management, they improve the acoustics. Apple also claims they are the best speakers they have ever put inside a portable. http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/design-retina/

----------

32GB seems a bit aggressive. A 16GB option on the 13" is a possibility, though. I think there is a possibility that they lower the price of the base 13" rMBP to $1299 if they want to make it "mainstream."

The safe bets are that the Haswell chips let them improve the battery life estimates, and offer a 15" model without a discrete GPU, which will let them offer it at a more affordable price. Maybe, just maybe we'll see a quad-core option on the 13", but I'd guess that they will stick with dual-core chips.

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012

On the 15" rMBP they are easily 3X as loud as on the cMBP. I played with them side by side at the Apple store playing identical videos and I was blown away at the difference. Just fantastic sound. I've always been underwhelmed by Apple laptops sound, dating back 15 years. Not anymore. It was TOO loud

LachlanH

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
I would be very suprised if the cMBP was still around at the end of this year.

My predictions

* cMBP's are done and gone
* 13" and 15" Retina Macbook Pro's are renamed to simply 'Macbook Pro's'
*Both 13" and 15" Models shed a couple hundred dollars from their price
*Base 13" model gets 256gb SSD standard
*8gb Across the board is standard for all Mac portables and desktops
*Haswell chips. 13" Retains on CPU graphics. 15" keeps a discrete GPU
* SSD upgrade prices drop slightly
* RAM upgrade prices drop slightly

I doubt all of that will happen but it would be nice.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
32GB ram is probably very unnecessary but the rmbps seem like they are capable of a long life. That being said I would love a BTO 32GB option :)

UnwiredTech

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
Thinking of 2013 MBP while I just got mine few months ago.

Core i5 ia still the base and newer Intel CPU.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma

My predictions

I hope the first statement is wrong - but it is very possible - but there is no way prices go down and 13inch has 256GB SSD standard.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
There's a potential for higher-capacity SSD's - There's a 128GB iPad out now, and that's all in a single chip.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
My predictions

I think with Haswell, we'll see at least one 15" rMBP with integrated graphics only. That will help them hit the $1799 price point for the base model. We may also see a 128GB 13" model to help them reach the $1299 price point (I doubt we'll see a rMBP at $1199).

Also, I would not be surprised at all if the 13" cMBP sticks around for another year, at least in the education market. It might not get an upgrade (same as the white MacBook after it was discontinued).

steiney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
32GB ram is probably very unnecessary but the rmbps seem like they are capable of a long life. That being said I would love a BTO 32GB option :)

32GB is probably unnecessary to most, but there are definite power users (like me!) that would relish in that much RAM. I want to be able to run a couple VMs side by side without the host taking a performance hit. That would be sweet.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011

My predictions

A Wish list and predictions are completely different lol.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
32GB is probably unnecessary to most, but there are definite power users (like me!) that would relish in that much RAM. I want to be able to run a couple VMs side by side without the host taking a performance hit. That would be sweet.

32GB? You could run an entire Microsoft certification lab with that much RAM. 10 clients, Exchange servers, SQL servers....

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
not sure

I think with Haswell, we'll see at least one 15" rMBP with integrated graphics only. That will help them hit the $1799 price point for the base model. We may also see a 128GB 13" model to help them reach the $1299 price point (I doubt we'll see a rMBP at $1199).

Also, I would not be surprised at all if the 13" cMBP sticks around for another year, at least in the education market. It might not get an upgrade (same as the white MacBook after it was discontinued).

I don't think we'll get an integrated graphics 15", but I do think there will be an entry model, 8bm/128MB (maybe) entry 2.3ghz entry model.

steiney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
32GB? You could run an entire Microsoft certification lab with that much RAM. 10 clients, Exchange servers, SQL servers....

Or I could do whatever I want with my machine without even worrying about lag, etc. It's like making $100 million. No one really needs that much money, but the feeling of security is unbeatable.

steiney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
RAM rarely is the bottleneck.

Hmm, interesting point. So, you think with a modern system, 16GB RAM, 2.7GHz 4 Core processor, RAID 0 dual SSD setup up (internal data speeds around 900 MB/s), the processor or data speeds are the hold up, and more RAM wouldn't speed things up?

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I would like to see quad cores in the 13 inch. after all the new chips are suppose to have a lot lower thermals. I think its possible with these new chips.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Hmm, interesting point. So, you think with a modern system, 16GB RAM, 2.7GHz 4 Core processor, RAID 0 dual SSD setup up (internal data speeds around 900 MB/s), the processor or data speeds are the hold up, and more RAM wouldn't speed things up?

That all depends on what you're doing with said computer. The speed of RAM is extremely fast.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1125624/

The bottleneck is still the primary storage device (HD or SSD).

Back on topic, I would like to see a cheaper 13" rMBP. If the base model was ~$1300, I'd upgrade from my MBA in a heartbeat. I love Retina displays, they look amazing. Not to mention the HDMI port, extra Thunderbolt port and thin/light profile. But I personally can't justify the current price.

Here's what will likely happen:

Haswell across the board, 15" MBPs will be updated first and then 13" MBPs
Cheaper price points for all rMBPs
11" MBA 64GB model will be replaced with 128GB

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.