Have 1st and 2nd gen - Prefer 1st!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by peapody, Sep 21, 2008.

1. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

After playing with my roomates 2nd gen 16gb touch, and with my own 1st gen 16gb, I can't find anything that makes it a sure fire upgrade form my own touch. I got the touch from bc008 for a great deal ($140 for 16gb, Sena leather case, AC adapter - thanks Ben!), and even though I have a 32gb sealed 2nd gen ready and waiting in the box, I can't get myself excited to open it.

In this instance I even prefer the 1st gen for the shape and heft of the device. The curved back of the 2nd gen is annoying to me.

Just wondering if there are any others out there like me. And at least to those wondering if they should go for an upgrade - I wouldn't.

2. jman800 macrumors regular

Well yeah not much of a upgrade, But the speakers is the reason im getting it. For me, the speakers will increase my use of my touch by 50% at least. (Always lose my headphones.. like always)

3. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    i bought the 1st gen about a month ago and took extreme care while using it to preserve its resale value just in case Apple dropped some amazing iPod touches... needless to say, I'm keeping my beloved 1st gen.

4. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Five reasons to open that damn 2G iPod Touch:

1. Speaker

2. Nike+ (and possibly Bluetooth/FM in the future)

3. Better screen (less white, makes videos look better)

4. External Volume controls make adjusting the volume when it is still locked easy.

5. Audio input (3.5mm headset) - Note2Self Audio Recorder is my new fav. app!:D

P.S. If you still don't want it, feel free to mail it to me with free shipping :p.

5. jman800 macrumors regular

Haha! Nice reasons, I want one Baaaddlly =] And im not sure why!

6. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I compared the screens on the 1st gen and 2nd gen and prefer the 1st gen..

7. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

1. No need for speaker - I use headphones.
    2. Don't excercise - haha. I will concede about the bluetooth, but bluetooth headphones are weak nowadays and I prefer to stick to Kleer technology for the sheer quality of sound. So really..until there is some good bluetooth headphone - not so sad over here!
    3. Using touch as PDA device - so no video watching. Mainly a music person anyway.
    4. Volume controls are nice...but big whoopie. Not a deal breaker.
    5. No need for audio input (why? Who listens listens to recorded lectures when they are webcast? Microphone is somewhat of a novelty to me.)

Hahah so basically...not persuaded here. This sealed 32gb will probably go on ebay or on the marketplace forums!

8. allbrokeup macrumors 6502

I really want one, im gonna give my mom my first generation (she can't complain, she has a 1G iPod Nano 2GB :D) And I am gonna get Nike+iPod to inspire me to exercise more....:D

9. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

I really don't know how you would be able to enjoy any kind of music with the dinky speaker provided. Listened to it. That thing should stick to the bells and dings of the games.

10. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

You just answered my biggest question about the speaker. I hadn't thought of how useful it would be for gamers. And you confirmed my suspicion that it's no good for listening to music. Thanks!

11. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

I've got five more!

6. It has better battery life- 36hrs audio and 6hrs video (used to be 22 hrs audio and 5 hrs video).

7. It feels better in your hand.

8. The back looks totally sexy.

9. Comes with 2.1.1 preinstalled (no paying for the update)

10. It has all of the same alarm tones as the iPhone (for which they double as ringtones)

BTW- Spectrum is a cool app that uses audio input on the 2G touch for a visualizer-like effect, and Palringo IM works to send recorded audio within the chat, you can even set it to play back instantly, so it is almost (free) VoIP!

12. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Haha

6. The additional battery life is nice. I will say that is a good upgrade.
    7. Like I said before - Don't like the curves. Doesn't look as slick and sexy to me.
    8. Again. Meh. If you are referring to the quality of the chrome in resisting scratches - not enough incentive to me when the touch has a protector on the back anyway.
    9. Didn't pay for the update. 2.1 came with the one Ben sent me. Anyone know of any life altering improvements that came with 2.1.1?
    10. Alarms would be nice - but I don't expect that out of my touch. I like one that is hugely robust like the ones in my LG voyager.

You still can't convince me to use a mic. I guess I have no need for it.

Any more reasons? Haha.:p

13. njguyfla macrumors member

When they find all the bugs with this new 2nd Gen iTouch they will need to create a Roach Motel app for it. :D

14. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

i use my new iPod Touch 2G every day, and i have no problem with listening to the music through its speaker. Of course if you are an audiophile and are extremely picky about how you music sounds it won't meet your needs (as is the story with many headphones). It works great with the games too. To me, the speaker (plus some other things) made it worth the purchase of the new iPod Touch 2G.

15. laserfox macrumors 6502

laserfox

I like my 1st generation fine. I am not springing for the new one UNLESS they add a camera in the future...

16. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Ha Ha, I just love how some people are justifying how great the old is over the new to make themselves feel better. There's nothing wrong with the old one and there's no real reason to upgrade but to say the old one trumps the new 2G model is laughable.

17. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Just Two, and yes, they suck:

1. If you hook up a headset to use as headphones (like this) you can use the button as external play/pause/next/back controls (one/one/two/three clicks).

2. The 2G iPod Touch is the ONLY iPod/iPhone that has 2.1.1, all the rest still have 2.1, which doesn't have the Nike+ app built-in.

Well, what can I say, I tried. They might be coming out with a VoIP app for it soon as well...

You can still mail it to me if you want :D.

18. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I didn't read anyone bash the 2nd gen one or say it is worse than the gen 1.( if anything the gen 2 owners are bashing the gen 1 owners). He asked a question and people are giving their honest answers. Both of the iPod touches are great anyways.

19. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

To be fair, the original poster said the back was annoying, but I agree that it is hardly a 'bash'.

I have both of them in my house right now, and I can honestly say that every time I pick up one or the other I like its design better. 2G is easier on the hand, but the 1G is easier on the eyes. I just can't choose! :D

20. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

1. they sell tiny speakers that plug into the head jack or you can just crank the volume all the way up so people can hear through your head phones
    2. theres remotes that not only changes the volume but you can pause,play, etc.
    3. Nike+? Um no not a good reason to spend the extra money.

21. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Well..no reason for me to make myself feel better. I hope you don't mean me. There is nothing wrong with the 2G, and I don't mean the 1G trumps it. Read my posts - I prefer the 1G for reasons stated. When choosing between the 1st and 2nd gen, I just wanted to shed some light on thought processes in regard to the decision. No real bias here.

As background

I got the 32gb 2nd gen from amazon through a gift certificate - Free for me.
    I BOUGHT the 16gb 1st gen.

So I guess..ha ha. I just love how people jump to conclusions. So whatev.

Pismodude, do you have a touch yourself? How do you find all the new enhancements?

22. rd261 macrumors regular

I have both versions of the ipod touch and don't see much difference between the two. The speaker, while a nice addition, is pretty much useless to me since I spend most of the day in school and the speaker is not loud nor clear enough to be used in a noisy place. The only real advantage of having a speaker is if you want to show a video to your friends and in that case I have my macbook with me most of the time.
    The volume control is also a nice addition, but I didn't have a problem with double tapping the home button to get access to the volume control. I find the screen of the 2g to be a bit less bright and more yellow but the effect is pretty nice since the colors seem richer, and the shape while a bit sexier is not such a big deal. Also I charge the ipod every night so the battery is not really an issue for me.
    Overall the difference between the ipods is minimal. I use both regularly and hardly notice any difference between the two. However, if you are one of those people that browse the internet regularly from the touch, and watch a lot of videos on it, then the extra battery life is definitely worth the upgrade.

23. peapody thread starter macrumors 68040

peapody

Perfect post rd261. Basically everything I agree with, communicated in a much more coherent and complete manner. People choosing between 1g and 2g...great post.

24. pismodude2 macrumors 6502a

pismodude2

Yes, I have both in 8GB models, although I gave the 1G to a family member, I have access to it anyway since we live in the same house.

I used to have an iPhone 1G that was jailbroken and never used it with cell service, but I grew tired of waiting a week or two for the new updates to get hacked. :rolleyes:

The 2G iPod Touch is basically what I had then (minus the camera)- a 1G iPhone without the phone service:D. I really like it, and even if it did have a camera, I know I wouldn't have put it to much use (took 5 pictures total in the month that I had an iPhone 1G :eek:).

I feel like it was totally worth the money, especially since it was less than what I paid for the old one! :)

25. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I love the 1st gen wayy better than the 2nd gen. It feels better and more sturdy, and I like the screen better. :D