Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jman800

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
i use my new iPod Touch 2G every day, and i have no problem with listening to the music through its speaker. Of course if you are an audiophile and are extremely picky about how you music sounds it won't meet your needs (as is the story with many headphones). It works great with the games too. To me, the speaker (plus some other things) made it worth the purchase of the new iPod Touch 2G.

Thats good, and plus, If your walking somewhere or something and dont have any headphones, your ipod is no longer use-less! ;]

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
Thats good, and plus, If your walking somewhere or something and dont have any headphones, your ipod is no longer use-less! ;]

I think most people who carry their iPod touch also carry their headphones with them. Regardless, I think it is a good addition even if the speaker sucks. Hopefully they will add a better speaker next year then I will upgrade (along with real upgrades). The current gen isn't enough of an upgrade for me to get it. If someone doesn't have one it is a great bargain IMO, but if you have a gen 1, I don't see getting it for what you get. Each person can make up their own mind on it though.

Xgamer1224

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
i use my new iPod Touch 2G every day, and i have no problem with listening to the music through its speaker. Of course if you are an audiophile and are extremely picky about how you music sounds it won't meet your needs (as is the story with many headphones). It works great with the games too. To me, the speaker (plus some other things) made it worth the purchase of the new iPod Touch 2G.

i agree the whole reason why i ordered the 2g was because of the speaker and the design was soo awesome. i hate having to plug in my headphones every time i wanted to listen to music or play a game. to me sound makes every thing more fun.

Heather1

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
California
After playing with my roomates 2nd gen 16gb touch, and with my own 1st gen 16gb, I can't find anything that makes it a sure fire upgrade form my own touch. I got the touch from bc008 for a great deal ($140 for 16gb, Sena leather case, AC adapter - thanks Ben!), and even though I have a 32gb sealed 2nd gen ready and waiting in the box, I can't get myself excited to open it.

In this instance I even prefer the 1st gen for the shape and heft of the device. The curved back of the 2nd gen is annoying to me.

Just wondering if there are any others out there like me. And at least to those wondering if they should go for an upgrade - I wouldn't.

If you agree, i'll buy a first gen ipod immediately and ship to you as fast as i can. In return, you ship me the 2G one. I'll pay the shipping.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
well, 2nd gen. is much better. it has 36 hours continuos music time, 6 hours video play. it is the same play time like ipod classic now. no ipod can beat it. it is one of advantage points people simply want. plus, it looks better, has volume control, speaker..... especially speaker is very useful when I play game, listen to 30 seconds stream on wifi music store before buying song. additionally if you have iphone compatible earphone which can pause & play, go to next song, or back to previous. it works the same on new ipod touch. the reason is that new earphone will come out next month. it will be capable with mic. as well. so now, if you have similar earphone, it all works. finally, software is crash proof. yesterday, I was downloading 'Relex' app which is 178MB. it seemed to stop working because it was huge file. so I just reset mine. previously when you do the same thing, apple logo is forever. it never forward to home screen, right? new one only took 30 seconds reboot in this case, went to home screen. I was just amazed.

one more thing! new one is compatible with iphone 3G dock. it is great.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
well, 2nd gen. is much better. it has 36 hours continuos music time, 6 hours video play. it is the same play time like ipod classic now. no ipod can beat it. it is one of advantage points people simply want. plus, it looks better, has volume control, speaker..... especially speaker is very useful when I play game, listen to 30 seconds stream on wifi music store before buying song. additionally if you have iphone compatible earphone which can pause & play, go to next song, or back to previous. it works the same on new ipod touch. the reason is that new earphone will come out next month. it will be capable with mic. as well. so now, if you have similar earphone, it all works. finally, software is crash proof. yesterday, I was downloading 'Relex' app which is 178MB. it seemed to stop working because it was huge file. so I just reset mine. previously when you do the same thing, apple logo is forever. it never forward to home screen, right? new one only took 30 seconds reboot in this case, went to home screen. I was just amazed.

one more thing! new one is compatible with iphone 3G dock. it is great.

Better? Yes. Much better? Shows you are very biased. It isn't MUCH better.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
I am confident. why? I have old ipod touch, iphone 3G. so I can compare with each other. do I know you? you just can't say like that. second gen. is much better as I can say.

Dale Sorel

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
I am confident. why? I have old ipod touch, iphone 3G. so I can compare with each other. do I know you? you just can't say like that. second gen. is much better as I can say.

Ok, I'm just guessing here but something tells me that English isn't your first language.

ZOMG

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2008
After playing with my roomates 2nd gen 16gb touch, and with my own 1st gen 16gb, I can't find anything that makes it a sure fire upgrade form my own touch. I got the touch from bc008 for a great deal ($140 for 16gb, Sena leather case, AC adapter - thanks Ben!), and even though I have a 32gb sealed 2nd gen ready and waiting in the box, I can't get myself excited to open it.

In this instance I even prefer the 1st gen for the shape and heft of the device. The curved back of the 2nd gen is annoying to me.

Just wondering if there are any others out there like me. And at least to those wondering if they should go for an upgrade - I wouldn't.

Their exactly the same on the inside except the 2g has a few more features and on the outside they look a little different. Big deal

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
If my current 8GB was enough memory, then I wouldn't even really consider an upgrade, as there were barely any changes. It is mainly the fact that my iTunes library (music and video) is about 15GB and I would like to fit as much of that as possible onto my iPod. I only have about 70% of my songs on my iPod, and only have about 33% of my video collection on it. Because of that I will probably upgrade my device in a month or so, but if memory were already fine for me, then I wouldn't consider upgrading.

For me the new features are just a bonus and after using a few friends' 2nd gens, I am happy with the slightly new design.

tremlock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2008
The Land of Cleves
had a 1st gen, just upgraded to the 2nd gen... Love it..I must be lucky...The speaker is crystal clear. works wonders to calm down a screaming toddler with some Thomas The Tank!!! Feels better in my hand [personal opinion] screen seems more vibrant. once again this is all personal opinion...sold the 1st gen on amazon.com

Jack Flash

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2007
This thread is pure rationalizing.

The second gen is better in all facets. But, your 1st gen is great too!

Heather1

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
California
Ok, I'm just guessing here but something tells me that English isn't your first language.

This post just won the trashy-post-of-the-month award. Congratz!!

Seriously, i was reading their very intertesting conversation and YOU, out of no where, dropping the most unrelated comment EVAH!!! What if he tells you that English is his 7th language, huh?!! Not feeling so smart now, do you ?!!
----------------------------------

Anyway, i think it's really idiotic when someone flames the other about their more faved generation ipod touch. Everyone's got different taste.... so if i say i think the 2G is much much much better than 1G (or vice versa), you have no right to bitch about it. I like to eat at In 'n' Out better than McDonald because McDonald tastes like ****, you have every right to shut the **** up :)

Dale Sorel

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
you got a problem with that? so you don't speak any language, are you? if you so, that's not proud. shame.
I have no problem with that i.e. English not being your primary language. It's just that the discussion here has gotten a little heated and with the nature of the Internet I just wanted to double check.

Peace :)

RqThrottle

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2004
Boston
Absolutely!

To me, the Speaker feature is a HUGE plus.

I was building/installing/painting some shelves the other day, and it was great to listen to music without the hassle of having to move around with the cables or risking banging up the ipod. Also, I can hear when I get e-mails and it's a great alarm clock.

The lower price, external volume buttons and increased battery life are also appreciated.

You can argue that the changes are not significant, but in no way you would pick a gen1 if both were offered to you free. Right?

Regards,

Five reasons to open that damn 2G iPod Touch:

1. Speaker

2. Nike+ (and possibly Bluetooth/FM in the future)

3. Better screen (less white, makes videos look better)

4. External Volume controls make adjusting the volume when it is still locked easy.

5. Audio input (3.5mm headset) - Note2Self Audio Recorder is my new fav. app!:D

P.S. If you still don't want it, feel free to mail it to me with free shipping :p.

dark-saito

macrumors regular
...Here's my opinion...:

Of course the iPod touch second gen is better. There can be no denying that. Whether or not that qualifies as a "must have upgrade" is whats in the question. In all honesty, it is not smart to buy generation after generation unless your looking to collect them all. Upgrades are really only worth it one generation apart. The only exception to that rule is the iphone 3g, but thats because the first one was so hideously slow.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Absolutely!

You can argue that the changes are not significant, but in no way you would pick a gen1 if both were offered to you free. Right?

Regards,

Actually...based on looks and necessity, I still feel I would go the first gen route, strange as that sounds. I feel that I had a lot of reasons to like the 2nd gen (in my case: free, 32gb, new and sealed with 1 year in tact, all that fun stuff), but I still chose to go with a 16gb 1st gen (not free, used, etc).

My winning features which are not features at all...looks, heft, non curvy back. The first gen is just sexy. In deciding between both, the new features didn't make me want to go ripping my 2nd gen 32gb from its packaging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.