Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which new iPhone are you getting?

• iPhone 6 (4.7")

Votes: 149 38.9%
  • iPhone 6 Plus (5.5")

Votes: 201 52.5%
  • Waiting to test them out in person before buying

Votes: 33 8.6%

• Total voters

msb3079

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
collingswood. nj
I can't wait to make fun of people that carry around a "phone" that big. I'm having a hard time dealing with the size of the iPhone 6, let alone something twice the size. I still wish they stuck a 4.3" screen in similar size casing as the 5. Mobility is #1 on a MOBILE phone, for me.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
6 plus for me. I made cardboard cutouts tonight, and while the plus is tall, it will be great for games and browsing, not to mention the resolution and camera. The 4.7 is too tall and skinny to me.

They're both same width to height ratio...

----------

I went into it pretty adamant about going with the 4.7" but between the optical image stabilization, x2 resolution, battery life, and the UI features (that make it practical to still use one-handed in certain situations that demand it), Apple has really managed to win me over with the Plus.

I currently have an iPhone 5 64GB and a Retina iPad mini 32GB and I'm contemplating selling both for an iPhone 6 Plus 128GB and killing two birds with one stone.

Then it's just 15" rMBP + iPhone 6 Plus. I think I could get used to that setup. Simple, practical, and cost-effective.

That with a thunderbolt display seems like the perfect setup to me. Two iOS devices seams like overkill to me. And a rMBP will give you power on the road but still be a nice desktop with the display.

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010
I just went into an AT&T store and fondled the LG G3, which is a large 5.5" Android device. Honestly, that phone felt a little too big in my hands, but I think I could live with it. That said, the iPhone is a good bit taller than the L3 G3 due larger bezel area below and above the screen. It's just too big.

I really really want to get it, but it's just too big. Had they differentiated the 6 Plus casing from the 6 and minimized the bezels above and below the screen (similar to the LG G3), I would probably be getting a 6 Plus.

I imagine this is something that will be addressed on the iPhone 7 Plus, so I will most likely get one at that time. For the time being, it's an iPhone 6 for me!

pish6969

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
So simple. If you're a man get 6. If woman get 6+.

Mark my words. 6 mths from now you will see 70% men with 6 and 70% women with 6+.

Men aren't going to end up carrying a purse for their phones.

Surprised this isn't so obvious.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
What blows me away is how much more people want the 5.5" phone vs the 4.7" one. I wonder if its the size or the features that are winning them over the smaller one.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
After the iPhone 4, I tried out the Galaxy Note 1. I had no issue with size and portability. I had issue with its specs not matching its needs, but that's another story.

With the Note and any large phone, I find the number 1 concern is how long your calls are. 5 minute calls, great, 10+ minute calls, your hand will start to hurt from gripping it. When I take a long call, it's usually at home where I have headphones or other device to talk through. Plus, with any smartphone, I find using them for long calls a bit gross due to the glass touching a face for so long.

One last concern is privacy, a 5.5 inch screen, and now viewable from wider angles, the whole world will see what you are doing. With sites like Gizmodo, Kotaku, you never know what might be the next thing you scroll to or find posted in comments.

Despite that, the 6+ is what I'm currently considering, coming from a 5s. I hope it's a nice alternative for a having a smaller tablet like device at home and on the go.

I'm a bit skeptical of it's battery life considering the larger display and higher resolution games have to run at.

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
are there any hands on videos or pics that show the person holding it up as a phone??? I really want a plus and I don't talk on the phone all that much, but I also don't want to look like a clown when i do :confused:

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
Nope.
I initially wanted the 4.7" because it'll fit better in my hand and not be too drastic of a change.
But seeing some of the screen real estate differences in the 2 models...I think I'll want to hold both, before making that decision.

sawah

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
Hold your checkbook up to your ear. It's almost the exact same size.

Yardman1977

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2014
Chicagoland
Getting the 6 plus 64 gig...the 16 gigs is actual about 14.1...and that will be down to about 7 gig after u load your apps...so its useless. ..so 100 bucks for 48 more gigs is a no brainer.....u cud download offline spotify songs..park movies....etc....
I have a note 3 which is 5.68 inch screen. and an ipad mini and ipad air...mini and air both look way bigger than note 3....so dont sell your minis and airs cuz u think that this 5.5 inch plus is gonna replace them...cuz after you have it for a bit and lay it next to the mini and the airIt will look tiny and
it will just look normal size to you......noone will laugh at u either when your making a call........anyone getting the 4.7 will have buyers remorse that they didnt buy the big boy......

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010

Mark my words. 6 mths from now you will see 70% men with 6 and 70% women with 6+.

You're a sexist clown. I made a note. Thanks.

casmith07

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2009
USA
The decision was a little easier for me when I realized that I don't ever talk on the phone, texting and pictures is most important.

This is what made my decision. I text and send pictures, gifs, and watch video a lot more than I talk on the phone. And when I do talk on the phone at home, I'm always using my Bose headset or have it on speaker as I'm doing something else and don't usually have time (or even want) to hold a phone up to my head.

Other than that, I talk on the phone in my car during my commute, and I'm always using my car's bluetooth system.

Thinking of ordering the new noise-cancelling Bose in-ear headphones ahead of this as well, though I'm not exactly sure $299 for headphones is something I'm willing to spend quite yet when my current model works just fine.

At any rate, yes, the 6 Plus is the option for me. Space Gray, 64GB.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

What happens if you're a man who wears a suit? I have room to spare when a Note 3 is in my jacket pocket. 6+ shouldn't be too bad.

Rockies

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2011
Just played around with an LG 4.7" screen. It is just too small. Iphone Plus for me it is!:D

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I've made fun of people with the note cause it looks so comically huge.......128gb 6+ for me haha......I don't talk on the phone that much and I'm a spec nut I wouldn't be able to settle on the 6.

InternetDude08

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2009
I finally decided, it was hard. It's gonna be the 6 (4.7" screen). The bigger one is too tall, if the bezels were smaller I probably would have gone for it. It doesn't fit overly well in my pocket (thick cardboard to-scale printout).

I asked a friend who has a 5.2" Xperion Z3 (or something like that, it's a Sony), and he said he likes the screen size but it doesn't fit in his pocket well. Most of the time his phone sits on his dash in his work truck or on the counter at home. Well I keep my phone in my pocket 95% of the time when I'm awake. I need the smaller size.

Plus it will matter less once I have a watch on my wrist, I'll use it for stuff anyway, needing my phone a little less.

iPhone 6 64 GB Gold here I come!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.