Have you gotten bored with iOS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TH55, Jun 16, 2012.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

When I first got my iPhone 4s I was really blown away by how well designed it was. I still think it is very well designed, smooth and probably has the best user interface of any smart phone out there now, but it has become kind of bland to me. Maybe this is just the same way you get bored with anything but I hope the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 shake it up again

2. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Even if there was a redesign you wil get bored again, since you have it only for year and the iOS is there for 5 years. Apple doesn't seem to change the UI every year.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I've never really understood these "bored" comments

My iPhone is a tool for me, and I use it to accomplish certain things
    I don't get bored with a hammer, screwdriver or wrench
    I just use them

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Nope.

As I said many times before: I used to get bored with OSes. That was back when I had nothing meaningful to do with my smartphone except tweak the way it looks.

Now for me, reliability and usefulness trumps "new looks." I don't need the UI to look different every couple of months, when I need something that will work consistently, and work well. For me iOS does that.

At the same time, it does refresh about every year, and improves. It doesn't stagnate like Blackberry OS has (where the UI from 2002 looks exactly the same as today's UI), but it doesn't go radically new and different either. I think it's a nice compromise between the two that works well.

I would rather get steady, evolutionary new features that work well, than have my UI look so totally different every time that I have to focus on re-learning it. Much as I like to learn new things, there are just certain things that would cause problems if I HAD to stop what I was doing to relearn.

5. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

I don't entirely know how you can get bored with a smartphone OS. All I see them as is a means to use phone functionality (dialler, messaging, email e.t.c) and a launcher for third party applications.

iOS, Android and Windows Phone 7 all serve this purpose in different (but functional) ways.

What more could Apple add to iOS to make it less boring OP?

6. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

I'm only bored in the sense that there are a myriad of things I wish it supported but Apple doesn't put in.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

^+1

As long as the tool gets things done, there's no reason to be bored!

8. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Man, tell me about it. I'm bored as hell with it. Even more so than with my cisco router, my cyrus dac, my samsung food zapper and my sony tv. And don't get me started on that damn philips vacuum cleaner :mad: Apple BETTER make iOS 6 non-boring, or I'll tell the whole world, no, the whole universe about it. Dammit. I DEMAND they make my life less boring :mad: or else

9. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I think iOS being boring is the least of the OS' issues.

So many things are outdated and in dire need of improvements. Namely, Mail, Safari, and, most desperately, the keyboard. I'm stunned iOS 6 is offering no indication of upgrades or improvements to the keyboard. All those "Damn You iPhone Auto Correction" websites that are out there should tell Apple their keyboard doesn't "just work" at all.

As for Mail, I don't understand why there aren't full threads (navigating in and out and between the Inbox/Sent box is incredibly cumbersome), or attachments (not just for pics/vids, but what about documents for work related emails?).

There's so many more examples. And little things really bug me now, for example, every time you download an app, the OS kicks out out of the App Store, and shows you the icon bouncing to your home screen. It was cute the first few times, but now is entirely unnecessary. It's as if Apple thinks people shop one app at a time each and every time. Little things like this are beginning to annoy me to no end. I refuse to believe fellow iPhone users have not noticed this and feel the same way.

10. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

I agree with earlier posts regarding the fact the iPhone and iOS serve a function for me. One of the things I like the most about the iPhone and iOS is the simplicity of it. I do a number of things with my iPhone and the ease of use makes it a very functional tool for me. As MacDawg said, like using a hammer, and scaredpoet says about reliability and usefulness. I recall a post from a couple of days ago where the OP said his phone has to entertain him. I wish I had the time to be entertained. My phone helps me do what I need to do.

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

bored with the Operating System? hahaha no. its a tool and it works extremely well for me and many others.

12. tekno macrumors 6502a

Yes, regrettably I have. I have never liked the tiled apps idea and got frustrated that a lot of my niggles with iOS have remained (like the number of steps needed to switch on wifi).

I've switched to Android and so far am finding it to be very good. But when iOS suits me better I may well swap back.

13. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

Its not Apples fault people don't know how to spell as far as the keyboard goes. Its much easier if people take auto correct off and actually learn to spell words they usually don't spell correctly , instead of just letting a device do it for them.

In iOS 6 it no longer kicks you out of the app store when you download something :). You no longer even have to use your password when doing updates! Its really nice.

14. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

15. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

You keep reiterating the keyboard thing, but for some reason, whether in english or dutch, apple's keyboard does indeed 'just work' for me. But maybe my needs are more simple than average. Agreed on the app store issue though. It's starting to get highly annoying. What I hate most, apart from the problem you raise, is that whenever you browse some category or top chart, you get kicked back to the beginning of said category or chart whenever you download something or stay on a particular app page or its comments too long.

16. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Auto Correct works fine (brilliantly actually) on ICS stock keyboard, or with Swiftkey (if you don't know about it, Google it. It's remarkable).

And yes, I just read about that. Finally! :O

17. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Not sure if you are actually in the trades or just maybe a casual homeowner tool user...But there are a huge difference in hammers, screwdrivers and wrenches and how well they work...

18. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

the UI is a little stale, I will admit that. But the iPhone gets the job done for me, better than the other options. I wouldn't mind some changes, but I wouldn't go to Android if you paid me. I know why Apple limits functions and rolls out features slowly. Some of it is marketing, some of it is keeping the average user happy, etc. While I would like a little more customization I know that I have the most stable and functional smartphone experience going on right now and that is enough to keep me hanging out.

19. tekno macrumors 6502a

I've always thought Apple's auto correct works backwards. It suggests a word and if you don't tell it you don't want it, it puts it in. Surely it should suggest it and wait for your approval before replacing? Ie, tap the suggestion to accept it.

20. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Nope.

I think along the lines of scaredpoet. When I'm not being productive I seek to be entertained. So if I'm bored it probably not really using my phone fully as the tool it is.

When productivity is essential then views are shifted and that is why many people will harp on seemingly minute features that are missing because these features are important to their production.

I'm more excited about Apple making a proper foundation so that clever developers can wow me. Can't imagine not living with apps like Instapaper, 1password and handling my banking easily from the phone.

21. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

Would that make a difference? He is using his iPhone/iOS as a tool to perform a certain (or set of) function(s). I'm sure he uses his laptop to perform other/similar functions. Maybe his iPad for other things. Is that what you mean by variations of hammers?

If a certain hammer (or device) is the most appropriate for his task, does that make it any more or less likely he'll get bored with it? Regardless of other variations of hammers?

22. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

We also have to get over this whole "an iPhone is a tool, therefore you can't call it boring" argument.

If you want to make that argument, then almost anything can be construed as a tool to excuse it from its shortcomings.

And the fact is, smartphones are becoming indeed more than just your average tool. It is meant to entertain you to some degree (one might even argue to a great degree). Tim Cook himself has said Siri is supposed to be your friend.

But again... I think iOS being boring is the least of its issues. Refer to post #9. In terms of usability, even as a tool, there are tons of shortcomings. In other words, even as a tool, it can -- and should -- do much more.

23. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Yup, I was bored of iOS after 4 years and really wanted to give Android a shot as my day to day phone. I had tried an HTC Inspire 4G on AT&T but absolutely hated that phone. It was GARBAGE! Battery life was crap and it performed slowly. I hated it.

I switched to Verizon pretty much because I wanted the Galaxy Nexus phone. Also, I had been planning to switch from AT&T to Verizon once my contract was up because of Verizon's coverage and 4G network. I really enjoy ICS and, to me, a Nexus phone is the only type of Android phone that I would ever consider buying. The Nexus is definitely more of a computer than the iPhone. With access to the file system, lots of customizability, and throwing on different ROMs you can really make the phone what you want it to be. With this though I have noticed some drawbacks, like it randomly reboots at times, and I have come across a lot more bugs than I ever did on my 4 years of iPhone usage in just a couple months of Android usage.

I enjoy iOS and Android. Both OS's have strengths and weaknesses and it just depends really on what you want. Both have great apps but iOS tends to have more polished apps from my experience. If you are bored with iOS, try Android/Windows Phone and see if you enjoy it. You get 2 weeks and it's only 25/30 bucks if you decide that you don't want it.

24. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

As for the autocorrect: how would you improve on it?

Personally, autocorrect tends to be very useful to me, way more often than the times it isn't. And even when it isn't, it's not the end of the world.

And, considering how easy it is to fake iPhone text conversations, and how those conversations on the "damn you autocorrect" sites always seem to end up on the crude end and "accidentally" going to mom or dad, it all seems a little bit too contrived to me anyway. Not saying it's all faked, but I'm pretty sure it's not all authentic, either.

As for Safari: Again, how would you improve on it? What's old about it? What would make it new to you?

The threads issue I'll give you. It would be nice to see full threads, but considering most of the people who I e-mail with are heavy quoters, it usually doesn't bug me because one way or another, I get what I said in context.

I've handled work attachments on my iPhone quite a bit. Then again, 99% of the documents work sends via e-mail are MS Office and PDF. What document types are you looking for?

So list them, and list how you would improve them! Telling a developer of any platform "your stuff stinks and is old, fix it" without providing examples of what you'd like to see is worse than useless.

Then you might want to read this article on the front page that, among other things specifically points out that this is going away in iOS6.

In fact, as the article points out, we saw maybe 5% of the features and enhancements that are coming in iOS 6. Until you actually try it out, you have no idea if the criticisms you have are valid.

----------

Why? For some of us the iPhone is a tool, and it hasn't stagnated. There has been steady, observable evolution.

If something isn't useful and reliable in providing for a user's needs, then it's not a tool. That's the distinction.

25. onthecouchagain, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012

onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

@Scaredpoet... I'll try to be brief...

For one, the keyboard could be more responsive. When thumbing fast, it often misses keys, which lead to typos, which lead to unwanted/incorrect auto corrections. I think a suggestion bar of some form would help. Doesn't necessarily have to be like ICS'. Blackberry has an interesting method. But either way, the lack of it hurts the overall typing experience. It's also not out of the realm of possibility for Apple to do (http://osxdaily.com/2011/11/09/enab...t-auto-complete-word-suggestion-bar-in-ios-5/). I think giving the user control over the dictionary helps too. The ability on ICS to choose what words the dictionary remembers, and more importantly, what not to remember, helps. Editing could also be a little easier. It's sometimes difficult to see where the magnifying glass ends up, or if you're trying to get it into a specific spot, when you let go, it inadvertently moves it. ICS' little editing cursor tab just feels easier to navigate and more accurate.

I think a big part of Safari being more usable may have to do with the screen size. Double tapping in doesn't always wrap text, and I have to scroll left to right to left to read certain things. Also, switching tabs is a bit cumbersome. On Chrome, swiping left or right gets you to the next tab. Also, little things like quick controls and magnifying links (http://blogs.computerworld.com/sites/default/themes/cw_blogs/cache/files/u177/chrome-android-6.jpg -- this is the only pic I can find and is a poor example actually. A better example would be when the magnifier pops up for the links to the pages here on this forum. They're awfully small, and magnification really helps pick whether you want to skip to page 5 or 6, etc.) really helps stream line the experience. Also, you're allowed to open as many tabs as you want. If i recall correctly, Safari limits it to 8 or 9? There may be a few other things but can't recall off the top of my head (it's been a few months since I gave up my 4S for the GN).

I did read about iOS 6 finally not kicking you out of the App store per download. Very happy to hear about that. But other little things that bug me include:

-Being unable to toggle features on and off (I think widgets are overrated, personally, but a few things really do help make the experience better, and toggles are definitely one of them. Not just for things like WiFi, GPS, etc. but for the lock screen. I love being able to toggle off the lock screen when I'm at home and don't need the security, then toggling it back on when I go out and want my screen locked. With the 4S, I had to put in the code each and every time even when I'm at home)

-Lack of quick dials (on my GN, I have a home page dedicated entirely to direct-dials and direct-messaging of my most frequent contacts. Incredibly handy).

-Limitations of folders. I wish Google didn't follow Apple's example of limiting number of icons per folder, but I still think ICS allows for more? Was iOS' limit 12 per folder? I can't recall exactly.

-Mail I mentioned already earlier, but to add to it: For some reason, it doesn't show all my mail. I think the max is up to 2 weeks' worth? With Gmail on ICS, I literally get my entire mailbox on my phone. Labels seem to just work better too, unsurprisingly. Switching between accounts (I have 3 different gmail accounts for different purposes) is also so much more fluid in Gmail on ICS (the Gmail on iOS unfortunately doesn't allow multi-logins). Navigating through the iOS' Mail menu to get between inbox/sent/labels, etc. is just cumbersome. Then sometimes you're in the "All Inbox" and you have to navigate all the way out to the list of Mailboxes. Yeah, it's only a few more extra gestures, but on ICS, it's literally 2 taps to switch, and you get to see more (full threaded messages).

Anyway, I'd love to give more examples, but to be honest, my memory of iOS on the 4S is fading (I still have my iPad however, which I love, and feel iOS is far better represented).

I hope you're right about only seeing 5% of iOS 6' new features. And I hope one of the features that wasn't revealed is an improved keyboard. If I had to pick one area that's the sorest of all spots for me, it was the keyboard on the 4S. A larger screen might help mitigate the problem, but mainly the keyboard just felt like it couldn't keep up with my thumbing speeds. Yes, those "Damn you iPhone Auto Correct" sites can be faked, but it's difficult to ignore that the iOS keyboard gave birth to that internet phenom. Who knows which are real and which are fake, but judging by my own typing experience, I don't find a lot of them far fetched at all.

I feel you. That's why I think calling iOS boring isn't a fundamentally important criticism. It's the least of iOS' issues. Even as a tool, the usability of iOS is lacking in areas.