Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhonelover72

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2011
Hey guys,

Iam a new member here at macrumors and this is my first post so forgive me If I am breaking any rules.

Anyways the question is simple. Have you tried expirementing with any other phones other then the iphone. If so, how has your experience been and did you come back to the iPhone. Cuz quite honestly I cannot imagine being without my iPhone. But Iam willing to expirement with androids and stuff.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I've tried Android, really liked it too. The main things about the iOS ecosystem features that keep me here iTunes syncing and my investment in the app store. I'm quite torn between upgrading to iPhone 5 (I'll see what it offers before making a choice) or an Android device. Haven't tried WP7 yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Anyways the question is simple. Have you tried expirementing with any other phones other then the iphone. If so, how has your experience been and did you come back to the iPhone. Cuz quite honestly I cannot imagine being without my iPhone. But Iam willing to expirement with androids and stuff.

Sure. I'll very occasionally wander into a phone store just to play around with devices, more out of morbid curiosity than anything else.

The Android-based phones I played with seemed kind of 'meh'. I'm sure they're okay, but I basically saw a somewhat unrefined looking iPhone clone. Windows Phone 7 surprised me however. It may still be playing catch-up in terms of features and apps, but I thought the interface design was very attractive and innovative — certainly unlike anything I've seen come out of Microsoft before. Not sure how practical it is once you're over the design and just want to get things done. To figure that out would take a few weeks with one… and well, that ain't gonna happen, because I like my iPhone too much. :)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Played with a stack of Android phones, the hardware was great but Android just feels like a janky, not-quite-right-but-good-enough kind of OS. Nowhere near the same sort of fit and finish as iOS.

Windows Phone 7 actually felt better because it's REALLY different. Sure it lacks a bunch of what you'd think would be standard features but it's slick, well put together and easy to use.

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
My mom has an HTC "something" that I occasionally fool around with, just to play with something different. I think it's running some offshoot of Android, but I'm not 100% certain.

Whatever it is, it's just not my style. I am happy with my iPhone, and I don't really have a desire to switch to anything else, no matter if it's supposedly "better" or not. :)

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
I've tried the atrix 4G for a month. I liked it. The Internet was slower an my iPhone 4 download and upload was significantly lower. I liked the android os got annoying at times though.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Nope, but I want to try out Android. I know I'm just going to switch back to the iPhone though so I haven't justified spending money just to try something out.

MRiOS

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2010
I've investigated android phones in the stores and I haven't found anything other the the advantage of adding custom themes and widgets to it. Having used iOS on my iPod for a number of years I've grown accustomed to the iOS way of things and the refined user experience of it that I just can't seem to get with android.

I've been using WebOS for the past couple months while waiting for news on iPhone 5, and I have to admit that WebOS is a fairly nice platform, I'm sure if it was given the appropriate consideration by app devs, then it could give Android and WP7 a run for their money.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Hey guys,

Iam a new member here at macrumors and this is my first post so forgive me If I am breaking any rules.

Yes, and i use an Android phone now(Vibrant) and probably wont go back to iPhone anytime soon. I really like the Android OS(i have a custom Froyo ROM im running) and a Gingerbread update is suppose to be coming soon for it....till i get the Galaxy S2 anyways sometime later this year.
Never say never but a lot of very good progress going on w/ Android for me to want to switch back to iPhone and its closed system and using iTunes again. Didnt like having to do everything thru iTunes.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Between iPhones I've tried the G1, myTouch 3G, Nexus One, Droid, and the Droid X. Of those phones I would say I loved the Nexus One and Droid X the most, but I always go back to iOS just for familiarity (and mainly ease of syncing). I always keep a phone for backup, previously I had a Palm Pixi Plus, which I switched out for a used LG Quantum (Windows Phone 7). Was looking for a used Android phone, but couldn't find one as cheap as I got the Quantum. I must say that I like WP7 quite a bit.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
Owned a iPhone, Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S), Nexus One, HTC Inspire 4G, and now back to an iPhone (4). My experience with Android was terrible. It's an unfinished OS. Of course I found benefits, and there were moments where I'd think "Ha! Couldn't have done that on an iPhone" but honestly.. The cons were heavier than the pros. To name a few things: No graphics acceleration (browsing was miserable), no way to organize bookmarks in default browser (no folders, no moving, no nothin'), random problems with the phones such as everything deleting itself because it was "corrupt"

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Yes. I had a droid for a year and half. Everytime I went to my iPod touch I kept thinking "I wish they made a phone like this...wait...".

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Owned a iPhone, Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S), Nexus One, HTC Inspire 4G, and now back to an iPhone (4). My experience with Android was terrible. It's an unfinished OS. Of course I found benefits, and there were moments where I'd think "Ha! Couldn't have done that on an iPhone" but honestly.. The cons were heavier than the pros. To name a few things: No graphics acceleration (browsing was miserable), no way to organize bookmarks in default browser (no folders, no moving, no nothin'), random problems with the phones such as everything deleting itself because it was "corrupt"

There are several different browsers to use. I never use the stock browser. Opera and Skyfire are the two i use and there are more of them (Dolphin, Firefox,xScope, Miren & a couple more) Never had a bookmark problem with them and never had things get deleted so i cant relate to that.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
There are several different browsers to use. I never use the stock browser. Opera and Skyfire are the two i use and there are more of them (Dolphin, Firefox,xScope, Miren & a couple more) Never had a bookmark problem with them and never had things get deleted so i cant relate to that.

Yep I aware of that and I tried pretty much all the browsers out there. Those browsers just had more problems. The sad thing about Android is it's all so open and you think "I'll just get a third-party app!" but then you can't find a quality one. And you're still screwed. I experienced that so many times.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Yep I aware of that and I tried pretty much all the browsers out there. Those browsers just had more problems. The sad thing about Android is it's all so open and you think "I'll just get a third-party app!" but then you can't find a quality one. And you're still screwed. I experienced that so many times.

What? Firefox is new and still not in the final stages. Opera is fast and works great. Skyfire has flash and is slower but never had problems with it. Dont know how long it has been since you used them but things improve all the time. I didnt care for Dolphin but it was the first 3rd party browser i tried and its been a while since ive used it. Its probably better now as well and i was still on 2.1 when i used it.

I dont know, maybe im just more open to things that arent iPhone and learned to like them a lot. Like the music player (PowerAmp) im using. Absolutely the bomb and best ive ever used.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
To add to my previous post...its funny I see all these Android fan boys toating iPod touch's around using them more then their droids! But they still say they "hate" apple...:confused::rolleyes:

the.sheepdog

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009
Central FL
Some people wouldn't be satisfied if you hung them with a new rope! It doesn't matter what they had they would whimper and whine about what the other guy had.

I am quite happy with apple products and have been for years. I don't even know what version of ms-windows is current and don't care. I think XP was the last usable one.

If you get what you like and stop obsessing over what anyone else likes you will be happier. Wanting something is very different than having a thing. Get what you like and be content with what you have.

I am very content with Apple and iPhone.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Although use an iPhone 4 as my daily phone, I own current high end handsets running Android, WebOS, and Windows Phone 7 as well. Believe it or not, my favorite OS to use is WP7. It's just not quite there with all the apps on iOS that I use on a daily/weekly basis, but it's getting close. And of the apps that are available on both WP7 and iOS (like Facebook, ESPN Scorecenter, Twitter, USA Today, etc), the WP7 apps seem MUCH nicer to use. The "Metro" UI design is quite nice in an app. If Microsoft can stay behind the OS, and really help to build out developer support, I can easily see myself switching over to WP7 from iOS on a permanent basis.

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
I'm somewhat opposite of most on here in that I'm using a motorola droid and this is my first smartphone. In March I got the iphone 4 for my wife. Both platforms have there strong and weak points. I can do more things on my droid, but the iphone is more consistent in doing what it's supposed to do. I don't know what phone I'm going to get next but I'm going to spend a lot of time comparing the next iphone with the android phones and windows 7 phones before my upgrade is here.

RebeccaL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
According to this article the iPhone is going to have trouble keeping up with the android phones.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/615/10-androids-that-outmuscle-the-iphone/

How does this article relates to the thread? The OP asks if people have experimented with other phones. Your article just talks about 10 Android musclephones being more powerful than iphone. There are plenty of those articles already in MR with their own thread.

I have tried Android and BB, but iOS fits my needs better. I don't care which phone is more powerful or selling better, I use the phone that I like. I could own a musclecar, but my sports coupe is fast enough and has all the features I want. Plus it saves on gas and is more fun to drive. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.