Have you upgraded to Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Twenty1TEN, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Twenty1TEN macrumors member

Title says it all.

Wondering how many people have taken the leap and if you haven't how come?

2. simsaladimbamba, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012

simsaladimbamba

I did try it, in the first or second week of its arrival (I upgraded to 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6 in less than two weeks after their release and never had to regret it), tried it for one week on my iMac, but due to its removal of proper Exposé and Spaces, I switched back to 10.6. I realise, it was a bit buggy, but that I can get accustomed to, 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6 were also a bit buggy the first months, but that one big ****up from Apple made me switch back to an earlier version. I know, that Apple is now focused on the consumer mass, and the minority of those consumers don't even care about Spaces, but using 12 virtual desktops in Lion is a no-go. Maybe someone will write a proper virtual desktop manager for Lion one day and I can go forward, as this situation limits my future purchases to 2011 Macs, and my next Mac purchase is still two years or more away.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. jackrv macrumors 6502

I have. 2010 i5 iMac. Fortunately I have not encountered the issues many of people have posted. I've had no issues.

5. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Of course i have. Its way better. Once you go fullscreen apps and multiple desktops you wonder how you even used a computer before.

I have never even once had a problem or issue or hiccup.

6. punkromance macrumors member

Sadly I was forced to when buying the current MBP. Just downloaded a late version of SL though and toying with the idea of going back to that. The only thing that's stopping me at the moment is I've gotten really used to full screen applications, and I don't want to have to go back to having to use a US dictionary.

7. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

I recently upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard, but I have to admit... I'm afraid of upgrading to Lion.

8. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Why? do you pirate software?

9. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

Why would you think I would pirate software if I am reluctant to do an OS upgrade? To answer your question, no

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What does that have to do with choosing not to upgrade to Lion?

11. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Summarize those threads for me. Whats the reason to not upgrade to Lion as of Feb 2012 then?

I can't think of any other reason except using software that is cracked and there hasn't been a crack update yet. Everything else has generally become Lion compatible via upgrade now if the company is worth anything.

Its closing in on a year since release.

12. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

Your assumption is out of line... :rolleyes:

My reason for not upgrading is simple, too many bugs that need to get ironed out. Until that happens I am staying put with Snow Leopard

13. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

What bugs specifically?

Please aware me.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can read them for yourself.
    Because you can't think of a reason doesn't mean there aren't legitimate reasons not to upgrade. I have exactly zero pirated software on my MBP and I still run Leopard. I haven't upgraded because I have no need to. SL and Lion offer nothing that I need that I don't already have with Leopard.

15. FroMann macrumors 6502

FroMann

16. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

Read the threads GGJstudios posted, and enlighten yourself :)

17. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Yes they do. If you look up what Lion does you will see that it has multiple desktops and full screen apps. These drastically increase the efficiency of navigation in the OS.

And a lot of the info in those threads was from months and months ago and outdated.

Still no one has presented a reason not to switch. If its that big of a problem it should be easy to describe what the problem is.

----------

Lol Im going through the first thread he posted and the overwhelming majority is saying Lion is better.

Im confused...

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So?
    Every one of those sample threads has posts within the past 90 days.
    You haven't provided any reason to switch. C'mon! Give me a compelling reason for me to upgrade to Lion, if you can.

19. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

It has multiple desktops and full screen apps. These drastically increase the efficiency of navigation in the OS.

(iCloud cannot be used in L/SL in case you care)

20. simsaladimbamba

Just because you can't think of a reason, doesn't mean there isn't one or several. Bugs are not the only problem.
    As there already have been several threads about Lion and its missteps (not for everyone of course), maybe you oughta read those. GGJstudios linked to some of them.

Lion has added some functionalities and removed some functionalities, and as not everyone is happy with that, not everyone is blinded by the iOS-ification of Lion and a consumer, not everyone is willing to upgrade to the latest *****.

If I had a screenshot right now, I would show you, that Lion is unusable with 12 Spaces, and that is the number I need to live with. I have tried with fewer, but it was not as good.

Spaces in Lion:
    s1 s2 s3 s4 s5 s6 s7 s8 s9 s10 s11 s12
    Spaces before Lion
    s1 s2 s3 s4
    s5 s6 s7 s8
    s9 S0 S1 S2

S0= s10, S1=s11, S2=s12

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Doesn't do a thing for me. Try again.
    I'm not trusting my music collection to iCloud.

22. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

How do you know? You don't own Lion. Lol.

How can you comprehend the paradigm shift if you haven experienced it and invested in it for some time?

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't need additional desktops. I don't even have a use for Spaces, which I already have. I can also go fullscreen in the apps where I need it. Try again.

24. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I think a big part of these reactions is being invested and stuck in the habits of Leopard and not wanting change.

Again I read through some threads and I have yet to find a real issue amongst all the people praising Lion and saying its good?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1314189