Having an existential crisis

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by technosinner, Oct 31, 2016.

1. technosinner macrumors newbie

technosinner

So, the new MBP... Most people here seem to be thrilled, but am I the only one who doesn't understand the point of having a laptop needing so many dongles and adapters? My mouse is not bluetooth, I don't own any USB-C cables or devices nor do I have any compatible hubs...

I mean, I get the idea and at first I wasn't against the idea, but the more I think about it the more I fail to see how this would be a good portable computer.

I've been hearing so much Apple bashing lately that I need to hear the other side of the argument.

2. Clint_Barton macrumors 6502

I think that the reason for this is that apple is looking a bit to far into the future, TB3 and USB-C is the way of the future, but the future is not now, and it will take a little while for the industry to catch up. I too am not pleased with these decisions about the ports and stuff but i get that it is where the tech is going

3. boast, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016

boast macrumors 65816

boast

To use a modern laptop you need modern devices. If you have an old USB-A hard drive, get USB-C. If you're not ready to adopt the new port, stick to an old laptop with old ports.

4. eroslws macrumors 6502

Exactly. Dongles are a consumer-created problem because people want to hang on to legacy technology. The new MacBooks have four IO ports using a modern and non-proprietary interface. This is the laptop of the future; it's not Apple's fault a vocal minority aren't ready.

5. Macalway macrumors 68020

They just REALLY like this new port.....obviously :D

6. Altis macrumors 68020

What, like buying an iPhone 7? Is that considered a legacy device?

The Apricorn padlocks we use at work aren't even available yet in USB-C.

I absolutely agree that USB-C is the port of the future.

The "vocal minority" aren't the only ones who aren't ready... the manufacturers who don't make nearly anything in USB-C still are also not ready.

Nobody wants to hang on to legacy technology, that isn't it at all. Like I say, the iPhone 7 is not legacy technology but according to you it's just a consumer-created problem.

7. Smoovejayy macrumors regular

I guess I am an enabler of this problem lol but I did not complain about USB-C since I know this is the way of the future. I'm just not sure when I will be buying USB-C cables as that costs more than the nice-looking dongle I have haha

8. eroslws macrumors 6502

A Lightning-USB C exists so your point is moot.

9. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

for gods sake just pay $19 for a little hub and move on with your life

the whine factor on these forums is astonishing

10. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I dont think you need to do anything right now. There is nothing wrong with waiting for awhile...or getting a blue tooth mouse or hub to go with your new device. Even Chrome Books and Windows machines are shipping with USB-C support. The future is now.

11. jjiangweilan, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016

jjiangweilan macrumors 6502

jjiangweilan

12. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

What would be the advantage of a USB-C vs. USB-A external harddrive??

13. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

The USB A complain is ridiculous. On amazon you can get like 3 usb c to usb a adapters for 10$. 3!

You can just put one on each end of your usb a device cable and leave them there and problem solved.

USB hubs are so cheap too. Plug one and you have 4 usb A ports.

---

I think that USB C is clearly the best connector for various reasons. Mixed with Thunderbolt it basically do everything.

But the USB C future just can't happen without hardware maier forcing it a little. Yes its early. But if Apple or any other hardware vendor doesnt force you to use it, why would accessories maker start making USB C devices ?

One way or another, either your new computer will force you to upgrade to USB C, or your new accessory will.

14. EnesM macrumors 6502

EnesM

I was about to tell him the same thing, good thing I read the thread first. Someone HAS to push it forward, and it sure won't be Dell. Apple were one of the first the remove the CD drive too, right? It was only 4 years ago and, who needs one today?

They also pushed Thunderbolt but that didn't really catch on as expected, but with the USB-C port which also supports Thunderbolt I think the future is looking good!

Cheer up!

15. Zenithal Suspended

Existential? No. Concerning? Sure. You either buy the hub or suffer. Get the hub.

16. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

You're correct. The best motivation for all accessory makers is our inconvenience without their products and only Apple can afford to sacrifice its customer base for the task.

People are just complaining because they are used as leverage and it's totally understandable.

17. prism macrumors 6502a

What has the sd card shape have to do with the future unless the industry is planning on changing its shape in the future.
    There is absolutely zero justification in removing the sd card reader port except maybe to satisfy Jony's obsession with aesthetics and minimalism.

18. Rockadile macrumors regular

I'm fine with them going all out with USB-C but they should have added a lightning port also.

It would have been very convenient. Like using your iPhone Touch ID to unlock your MBP in clamshell mode.

19. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

Being obsessed with making devices beautiful and thin, they removed SD most likely because with the current design it'll compromise structural rigidity (i.e. the case will bend there when dropped). And perhaps after gathering anonymous statistics from their laptops they figured the low % of those who use SD and ditched it.

It's a vicious cycle – they keep removing features based on usage and that further changes their user base towards those who don't use anything. Eventually it'll evolve into an iPad.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 31, 2016 ---
    Could you please explain how?

20. Rockadile macrumors regular

Why is my quoted post butchered? I already said an example.

It's Apple's own proprietary connection & it's short as USB-C so I see no qualms to adding it.

21. ocgirl macrumors regular

ocgirl

I'm all for Apple anticipating the future but eventually, to reduce consumers fear, why not simply do 3x USB-C and 1x USB-A, that way everybody is happy ? (Ps : i'm not a computer engineer, so maybe that wouldn't work into this chassis but that's my 2 cents).

22. osnola ibax macrumors member

osnola ibax

The ports thing carries least weight of all the criticisms of this MacBook IMHO. A lot of new laptops have USB-c. The new HP ultra book, the chrome book pixel etc. Some may have left an oul legacy port lying around but what's the point when these new ports have the power of TB3.

That touch bar thingy though.

23. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

Then the whole point of forcing the industry to USB-C fails. And yes, with the current design USB-A will compromise structural rigidity the same way as SD slot :D
    Why do you want a useless lightning connector for that? (aside from the fact that the laptop already has touch ID sensor built in)

24. ocgirl macrumors regular

ocgirl

But in that case USB-A would be outnumbered (only one port) so people would still consider investing in the new port. I guess it's a band-aid situation : you either rip it off or you remove it calmly.
    Guess Apple ripped that band-aid off for us :rolleyes:

I feel like doing so is a nuisance to the portability of the MBP, those dongles are huge (surely another strategy to push towards USB-C). All in all, if I end-up buying this new generation I would really miss only the SD card slot (oh and Magsafe :().

25. Rockadile macrumors regular

Why wouldn't I want a dedicated port for Apple's own phone and tablet?
    Free up a port, one less adapter, and you can't say it will compromise structural rigidity.

I don't see how it will be useless for it. There's got to be a sizeable amount of laptop owners that use it in clamshell mode making it tedious to open the lid every time to use touch ID. Have the phone charging as well, got to do it everyday anyhow. Why not make it convenient?