Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Having regrets about my 2019 15" MacBook Pro, what are my options?

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
It's too big for me. I'm past the return window. Where can I sell it without getting ripped off? Or what can I do? Maybe a trade-in somewhere?

EnderBeta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2016
You’re not going to be able to get all your money back now. Your best bet is to look for someone that is willing to trade what you want for it and have you or them cover the difference with cash if they are willing.

Reactions: ruslan120
Comment

velocityg4

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
You can sell for cash, locally, in person. That'll get you the most money back. Apps like Letgo allow buyer and seller ratings. If you want you can only deal with people with good reviews. Rather than the Craigslist crapshoot.

You won't get nearly as much trading it in. I don't trust eBay with high value and high demand items. It's too easy for a buyer to scam a seller. Because buyer protection focuses so heavily on the buyers side. You can't even effectively block foreign buyers. They just use mail forwarding companies. So, it looks like they have an address in your country.

Comment

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I wish there was a reliable way to sell online. Like a legit place.

Meeting in person freaks me out. Afraid I'll get robbed or something.

Comment

VineRider

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2018
I wish there was a reliable way to sell online. Like a legit place.

Meeting in person freaks me out. Afraid I'll get robbed or something.
I sold a 2018 Macbook Air to a friend. I got a fair price and he got an excellent device. Maybe someone you know is in the market for an excellent slightly used device....

Comment

DeanLubaki

Contributor
May 29, 2014
Toronto
Just sell it to your friend so he can use it to run his million dollar business.
Came here to say the same thing haha!
[doublepost=1563229576][/doublepost]
It's too big for me. I'm past the return window. Where can I sell it without getting ripped off? Or what can I do? Maybe a trade-in somewhere?
Depending on how long you are past the return window Apple might still take it back.

Reactions: TheAppleFairy
Comment

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Came here to say the same thing haha!
[doublepost=1563229576][/doublepost]
Depending on how long you are past the return window Apple might still take it back.

I didn't know this. I might give it a try!

Comment

kp98077

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2010
what are you moving onto ? yes depending how far out you are from window... I've seen apple take back a month or so out especially given new 13" were released..... otherwise Offer UP!

Comment

kp98077

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2010
Gee, I guess you've missed the multitude of news stories where people have been robbed and murdered while selling stuff on Craigslist. Paranoid, no. Intelligent, yes.

Our local police station actually recommends you make transactions in their lobby.
hmm, yeah I guess I have missed that, again, can't believe everything on the news. I was just saying meeting at the apple store, or Starbucks seems safe.... I would never meet anyone at a police station!

Comment

JBGoode

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2018
hmm, yeah I guess I have missed that, again, can't believe everything on the news. I was just saying meeting at the apple store, or Starbucks seems safe.... I would never meet anyone at a police station!

Why would you not meet someone at the safest place there is? Unless you’re shady yourself.

Local to me, a guy was run over in the parking lot of a grocery store as he was trying to buy a video game console from some guy “advertising” on Craigslist. They grabbed his cash and took off, he ended up in the hospital.

Also, I don't think the Apple geniuses or the baristas are going to stop some guy who wants to grab your cash/merchandise and run. I don't think it's in their job description. ;)

Last edited:
Comment

kp98077

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2010
Why would you not meet someone at the safest place there is? Unless you’re shady yourself.

Local to me, a guy was run over in the parking lot of a grocery store as he was trying to buy a video game console from some guy “advertising” on Craigslist. They grabbed his cash and took off, he ended up in the hospital.

Also, I don't think the Apple geniuses or the baristas are going to stop some guy who wants to grab your cash/merchandise and run. I don't think it's in their job description. ;)
Hmmm, well I have had plenty of good experiences.. just must be a function of where I live I guess...

Reactions: mbosse and Eason85
Comment

Gamer-Dad

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2018
Pasadena MD USA
Sell on Swappa. I've sold numerous devices on there with no problem and got good money for them, including 2 MacBook Pro's (15 & a 13).

Comment

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
@DeanLubaki @TheAppleFairy

I was gonna recommend him the higher spec one. Mine is the base model 15"

I would imagine he'd be better off with the 8-core and more SSD space, maybe 512 or even 1 TB. Mine is only 256

you don't need 8-core for spreadsheets.
hell, you dont even need 4
[doublepost=1563280175][/doublepost]as for the SSD space, it's better to keep your stuff in the cloud or on two place/separate devices for security.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.