Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
HBO NOW is ridiculously overpriced.

when I had cable (three years ago) they were asking $10 per month extra to add HBO and I thought it was too expensive and never added it. Now they are asking $15?

Netflix/Hulu are $8 and have a wider library.

I will wait until this comes down alot

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I have a feeling that ISPs will simply jack up the basic price of broadband to make up for the lost cable revenue.

already happening

the way bundles are priced leaves very little room to buy internet only and alacart services from 3rd parties

Europe seems to have super cheap broadband

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Yeah, that's going to be a problem when the same companies with the cable business are also the internet service providers.

Bummer!

its a very interesting point and one that is hitting Canada full square in the face right now

two weeks ago, Government ruled that mandatory bundles for programming is illegal. the cable companies MUST offer "a la carte" cable offerings for channels.

They also mandated that basic cable with a set number of specific mandatory channels can no longer cost more than $25 dollars.

However, The internet in Canada is also almost exclusively run by the same companies that run the television networks.They have a vested interest to keep you either bundled with their higher priced cable offerings (TV cable costs so much more than internet).

its an interesting situation. Because not only do these 3 or 4 companies own virtually all of Canada's internet, and television providers, they ALSO own almost all of the Television channels themselves.

They also now own Canadian versions of netflix and other streaming sites ( like Shomi).

ow are they going to respond if channels like HBO go or AMC go on their own as internet streaming services without partnerning up with these providers. The CRTC will need to rule fast to prevent "fast lanes" and other such throttling of services. So far with netflix, we've been safe, but once more and more of these channels go purely online, it might pose a serious threat to their business.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
when I had cable (three years ago) they were asking $10 per month extra to add HBO and I thought it was too expensive and never added it. Now they are asking $15?

Bad comparison. They're asking $15, and that's it. To get it through cable/satellite you need a basic package (at least $50), plus the $10. In addition, if you want to view the content at a latter date you have to buy/rent a DVR. In addition, you might have to pay for installation, be under a 2yr contract and so on. The amortization for the service is completely different.

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
is there are set date for this to go live?

Sometime before the 12th., since that is when the next season of GoT starts.

----------

Doubt the price is lowered anytime soon.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
what apple really needs to do is to be able to bring big sport events (Superbowl, Soccer World cup, Olympics, Formula 1 etc) and get rid of the idiotic blackouts for MLB etc. on ATV. I know it does not depend on them, but I would love to see a big push in that direction from Apple.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
because it's technically impossible that it could possibly be netflix's fault?

Well, I gave two examples. Yes, technically it's possible it's netflix's fault but that is why I offered the second example. But I guess people just want to hate on Netflix.

tjdragonflight

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2014
HBO still doesn't get it

HBO still doesn't get it.

Moving from Comcast to Apple, I don't call that cord-cutting. They are just moving from one partner to another. One of the factors behind the success of Netflix and Amazon Prime is the availability on multiple platforms (yes, there are other factors too).

Besides, HBO on Comcast is ridiculously expensive (have to pay the Comcast fee). Just the same, $15 a month for HBO Now is also ridiculously expensive. It's twice the fee for Amazon Prime and twice Netflix (or it pays for having both of them together).

So HBO are still repeating the same mistakes of the same cable model. I'm so disappointed, I definitely plan on keeping Amazon Prime and Netflix rather than switch both to HBO Now.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
already happening

the way bundles are priced leaves very little room to buy internet only and alacart services from 3rd parties

Funny you should say this. I just started comparing my packages and after I dropped all the unnecessary crap my bill was still high. I went into my internet packages. $57 for 12mbs down. That's BS. There are only 2 packages lower than mine. $47 for 3mb down, or $52 for 6mb down. I won't event talk about the pricing to get higher bandwidth. It's cost almost as much as my business class internet.

----------

Literally Apples to Oranges.

tjdragonflight

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2014
already happening

Europe has cheap broadband, phone service, and TV over IP, because there is real competition happening there.

I'm still paying very little compared to bundles: $41 a month for high speed Internet (20Mb/s with Comcast) and Amazon Prime + Netflix for $15 a month. I get free HDTV for all network channels (with an antenna I put on my roof for a $400 one-time installation cost). I doubt I could find such a great offer with any existing bundle from Comcast. Even today, Comcast is a rip off.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Europe has cheap broadband, phone service, and TV over IP, because there is real competition happening there.

I'm still paying very little compared to bundles: $41 a month for high speed Internet (20Mb/s with Comcast) and Amazon Prime + Netflix for $15 a month. I get free HDTV for all network channels (with an antenna I put on my roof for a $400 one-time installation cost). I doubt I could find such a great offer with any existing bundle from Comcast. Even today, Comcast is a rip off.

$41 for $20mb\s is very good compared to brighthouse's offerings, I'm jealous :p I believe brighthouse starts at $57 + taxes & fees

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
HBO launched with Apple because Apple paid a handsome sum for that privilege.

This is no different than Microsoft paying Rockstar to launch a GTA game with extra content exclusive to the XBOX One that will trickle to the PS4 as a DLC later on in the year.

Money gets it done.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
If this means iTunes get the rights to Game of Thrones over Fox in Australia then i'm good. Don't mind buying per season on iTunes. I do mind signing up to an expensive monthly subscription for what seems to be mostly shopping tv just for Game of Thrones.

Actually, this could really have big implications to Fox and help bring them down. Won't we all rejoice if that was to happen?

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Bad comparison. They're asking $15, and that's it. To get it through cable/satellite you need a basic package (at least $50), plus the $10. In addition, if you want to view the content at a latter date you have to buy/rent a DVR. In addition, you might have to pay for installation, be under a 2yr contract and so on. The amortization for the service is completely different.

what about my comparison to netflix/hulu/amazon prime? HBO is double the cost with less content.

webbuzz

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2010
If this means iTunes get the rights to Game of Thrones over Fox in Australia then i'm good. Don't mind buying per season on iTunes. I do mind signing up to an expensive monthly subscription for what seems to be mostly shopping tv just for Game of Thrones.

Actually, this could really have big implications to Fox and help bring them down. Won't we all rejoice if that was to happen?

This isn't giving any rights to iTunes, it is an app, used to stream HBO content on IOS devices.

It will not "bring down" FOX.

patsfan83

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2008
This is what happens when you have a monopoly:

I have multiple TV/ISP options. I pay $125 with taxes with RCN for phone/tv/internet. Standard HD package with TiVO DVR, 2nd digital converter, and 50MB down/10MB up internet.

My friend lives on the exact same street, but in a different down, less 1 mile away. His only option is Comcast. He pays $200/mo for essentially the same package, but with slower internet, and their crappy DVR (not a TiVo). He is trying to cut the cord and will probably end up paying close to $75-100 just for internet.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Where to start???

Is it still exclusive to Apple Devices for the first few months?

I thought I read that HBO has also made a deal with Cablevision to allow their customers access to the service through their system as well.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/03/16/ca...ider-to-offer-hbo-now-to-broadband-customers/

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/03/29/cablevisions-hbo-deal-isnt-a-problem-for-apple.aspx

This article certainly seems to act as if HBO's offer won't be quite as exclusive as Apple made it sound...

They will offer it to some cable partners. So not much different than they have now.

It is exclusive to Apple Devices with no other required account from a TV provider.

Interesting that Apple has 60% of HBO Go's traffic. HBO Go is available on Roku, Samsung SmartTVs, XBox 360/One, PS3/4, Chromecast as well as android devices. I wonder where the other 40% is from.

Don't forget Windows machines!

No it isn't. DirecTV charges $15 for HBO. HBO Now costs the same. Some providers even charge more than $15.

DirecTV quotes me $17.99 for HBO

Agree. When other cable premium services follows HBOs model, we will see a price war just like when movie channels lost exclusives with local cable TV companies in the 70's. My take is Showtime will have a similar deal with Apple before the end of the year.

----------

You can start your own Cable TV channel and break the BBC monopoly that Murdock did. Just start working the investor banks in London and go from there.

Apple only has a 3 month exclusive window. My bet is this is HBO and the MLB Media Group (who developed the service for HBO) choosing. Give them a time to hit a large group, but not the floodgates

That a la carte steaming service is what I've been waiting for

Me too. But
3v2r28.jpg
- I don't think we are going to save money, between Netflix, Hulu, Apple TV Service, Internet (losing bundle pricing)...

This, this this. I feel like Netflix has been very slow opening lately and Disney Jr is always blurry, which is a sign that bandwidth is being affected.

I haven't noticed myself. I have Comcast and their Blast 105 meg, so maybe that is why, but my picture quality has been, for the most part, good.

wish we had a firm release date, would be nice if it could be this weekend, or maybe start on monday 4-6 not to overload it all too fast dealing with weekend traffic.

I don't think this week. Isn't this MLB Opening Weekend? And if MLB Media created this for HBO, perhaps they are hosting it, too

HBO still doesn't get it.

Moving from Comcast to Apple, I don't call that cord-cutting. They are just moving from one partner to another. One of the factors behind the success of Netflix and Amazon Prime is the availability on multiple platforms (yes, there are other factors too).

Besides, HBO on Comcast is ridiculously expensive (have to pay the Comcast fee). Just the same, $15 a month for HBO Now is also ridiculously expensive. It's twice the fee for Amazon Prime and twice Netflix (or it pays for having both of them together).

So HBO are still repeating the same mistakes of the same cable model. I'm so disappointed, I definitely plan on keeping Amazon Prime and Netflix rather than switch both to HBO Now.

How so? in July, anyone who wants HBO Now can get it, with or without an Apple device.

Deelron

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009
I have a feeling that ISPs will simply jack up the basic price of broadband to make up for the lost cable revenue.

I have a feeling that ISPs will simply jack up the basic price of broadband because they're doing it already anyway.

topdrawer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
Yeah, that's going to be a problem when the same companies with the cable business are also the internet service providers.

Bummer!

lucky for me, my internet provider only offers internet and nothing else.
but i think they will still jack up the price regardless

Deelron

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009
Funny you should say this. I just started comparing my packages and after I dropped all the unnecessary crap my bill was still high. I went into my internet packages. $57 for 12mbs down. That's BS. There are only 2 packages lower than mine. $47 for 3mb down, or $52 for 6mb down. I won't event talk about the pricing to get higher bandwidth. It's cost almost as much as my business class internet.

----------

Literally Apples to Oranges.

Mine is the same, I have to hop back and forth between two service providers, and their service still sucks and is far too expensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.