HBO Now crackdown on non-US users?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by foghat, Apr 17, 2015.

1. foghat macrumors member

Hey,

I am getting HBO Now in Canada using a DNS service.

I just received an email from HBO Now basically stating that unless I phone them and prove I am from the US, they are going to shut my account down on the 21st.

Bummer. Has anyone else received this email?

I wonder if they flagged me because from time to time I will launch the app on my phone when I am not on my wifi network (and hence not using the DNS service).

If this is the case, guess I will create another account and never launch the app unless I am on my wifi. Or using a vpn service.

2. pandarock32 macrumors newbie

Yeah, I just got the email too. I usually use a VPN on the Internet and used it when I signed up for HBO Now, the VPN is in the UK mostly I think. When no videos played, I realized the VPN was the problem and turned it off, but they must have flagged it. I just phoned up now, I had to give my mobile number, email and address in case they had to contact me for more information and I also explained about the VPN situation, and they then said I should be good to go. I hope this helps you! :)

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've seen a few people in NZ with that email. I haven't received one yet but it's not looking good.

I can only conclude that HBO actually *wants* piracy.

4. foghat thread starter macrumors member

So you actually live in the the US then?

I don't have a US address or phone number to give them. I suppose I could give any US address, but phone number would be a little trickier.

----------

This is really too bad. Was hoping they'd look the other way like someone I know...

I had actually just finished up the series I was watching on Netflix and was going to start Deadwood. Maybe not now.

5. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I got one. Doesn't looking good. Might cancel it and go with Netflix instead.

6. pandarock32 macrumors newbie

For a phone number, get groove ip, it's an android and iOS app run by ring.to, which according to their website helps build infrastructure for other telephone web services. At the moment they are giving free numbers to test their backbone, I've tried it a few times its unlimited calls in the U.S. and Canada but they said that it may not be free forever.

7. pdjudd macrumors 601

No, they are a major media company and they are under a huge obligation to enforce their regional restrictions that are imposed on them (they don’t have global rights to all of their content) otherwise they will have a harder time getting content that they want to broadcast.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Right, but other companies in a similar position (including ones that produce their own content) turn a blind eye to this sort of thing. Terminating the accounts of legitimate paying customers is only going to drive them to piracy.

9. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

PS: how do you creat "another" account? It's using your Apple ID, is it not?

10. macbroadcast macrumors member

Oh no :(

I haven't got an email yet from HBO. I'm using a VPN services. What I'm im going to do! At least I got 1 episode in while it lasted :(

11. SuperGarcia macrumors newbie

12. foghat thread starter macrumors member

You create an HBO Now account that gets linked to your apple id.

I haven't tried yet, but the first thing I will do is try create another HBO Now account and link to my existing US itunes account. If this does not work, I will have to create another US Itunes account and go from there.

----------

I suspect as long as you never use HBO Now while not connected to a US server via your vpn, you will be fine. I think.

Pretty sure the reason I got busted is because I would sometimes browse HBO Now (app and website) while not using my US DNS service.

13. pandarock32 macrumors newbie

Has anyone else called the number? I haven't heard back from HBO since I called, I'm hoping that's a good sign

14. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

If you're not in the U.S. You're not a legitimate customer. You don't have license to view the content which basically makes you a pirate anyway, except you're paying two different companies for the benefit.

Netflix turn a blind eye because it's not really their problem. The studios that license content to Netflix would very much like to shut you out but they haven't found a way to force Netflix to do it.

15. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

If you're successful please let us know.

16. foghat thread starter macrumors member

Do you live in the States?

Groove IP does not seem to have an ios app. So I don't know. Maybe I will call and give them a random number and address and see what happens.

Or maybe I will just try sign up and again (as noted above) and make sure I only access via DNS service.

17. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

If someone came into your home you would expect them to obey your rules, correct? What would you do if they violated your rules?

If one can't respect the house rules, I think that person should stay out of that house. Following the rules teaches us responsibility and respect. I think attitudes would change were the shoe on the other foot.

Just my $0.02

18. pandarock32 macrumors newbie

Yes, and also Yes, I think your method will work.

19. foghat thread starter macrumors member

I'd tell them to give me $14.99 and I'd let them stay. :)

20. ardchoille50, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015

ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

If for sale their morals are, with nothing can they be trusted.

21. foghat thread starter macrumors member

Right.

I have a 'no smoking' rule in my house. If I catch someone smoking in my house and demand recompense of, say, $15 instead of kicking them out (or whatever you think the appropriate action would be) - I cannot be trusted. Got it.

You confuse rules with some sort of personal moral code.

22. bushido Suspended

bushido

those stupid studios will never understand it. they should be happy people are paying for it. instead of kneeling before me lol they force me to pirate. well if they don't want my money ...

like what does it matter where I am

23. foghat thread starter macrumors member

No doubt the issue at hand is infinitely more complex than HBO being stupid.

But, I hear what you are saying - you watch, I bet over the next handful of years this whole concept of content based on regionalization starts to disappear. It is becoming more and more apparent that this old school mentality around agreements and licensing is no longer working.

24. bushido Suspended

bushido

I mean I get that they have to region lock it but do they really have to investigate and try to crack down on the ones getting past it? I mean they have fulfilled their obligation to the right holders to look them out

25. Primalsage macrumors member

Depends on the rights holders. If they say "do it or we only deal with your competitors" then you bet they will crack down hard.

This does reek of something preemptive though since Netflix doesn't do it and they have contracts with every single content provider apart from HBO.