MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

LoopRumors believes that April's NAB will infuse the Mac Pro with a HD burner option.

Today's information confirms a rumor we brought you in July and cites the ability to burn and play high-definition format discs, although the specific format was not mentioned in this latest tidbit, we are still assuming that since Apple has its hand in the Blu-Ray technology, this optical format will be the most likely candidate.

Indeed, Apple sits on the Blu-ray board of directors, however a ThinkSecret rumor from last year had indicated that Apple may be toying with the idea of supporting both formats.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i hope this is true, and that somehow it will support both formats (if possible). as long as i can put a drive in my mac pro, everything's gravy....:apple:

Comment

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
This should appease the whiners. I hope HD-DVD gets off its butt and provides a burner. I've seen blank discs but no burners.

Comment

Gee4orce

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2004
Sounds reasonable. What I don't buy though are all these rumours of a MacPro redesign - the current model is still too new !

What I'm hoping these rumours point to is another desktop Mac model that sits between the Mini and the Pro. If that happens, my credit card will be out of my wallet so fast Einstein will be spinning in his grave !

Comment

the kid 05

macrumors regular
Sounds reasonable. What I don't buy though are all these rumours of a MacPro redesign - the current model is still too new !

What I'm hoping these rumours point to is another desktop Mac model that sits between the Mini and the Pro. If that happens, my credit card will be out of my wallet so fast Einstein will be spinning in his grave !

i vaguley remember seeing in the mac pro's someone posted files for HD-dvd and blu-ray dvd drives as an add on, it was on this site as this is the only one i know of.

Comment

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Ah either way it will cost a firtune. Those things are upwards of 500 dollars each.

Comment

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
Just makes sense for Apple to cover its bases with adopting both formats. Plus there is no reason not to since LG came out with that player that will play both Blu and HD.

Last time I checked the only difference between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD was the size of the laser that burns. The Blu-Ray's laser is smaller and hence can burn more information on the disc. However Blu-Ray has come up with some great features like scratch resistant surfaces. Supposedly someone on YouTube showed taking a brillo pad to a Blu-Ray disc and then it played fine in the player. Granted this could be an Urban Legend, but it is still pretty impressive.

Also, even though the Adult Film Industry embraced VHS and now HD-DVD doesn't mean Blu-Ray is going to go away or lose the battle. George Lucas and some other heavy weights in Hollywood are picking Blu-Ray because of the vast size difference in capacity. The latest rumor was that Lucasfilm is creating what is so far being called "The Grand Saga" Editions of Star Wars and Blu-Ray is the tapped media for that release.

I have found some internal Blu-Ray burners using Froogle™ for between $500-$999. Over the course of the next year those prices are just going to plummet more and more and it could easily be a $300 option in a Mac Pro next January.

Comment

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
So that burner will cost what, 20-25% of any new mac? That's a pretty expensive BTO option...

the nVidia Quadro FX 4500 is probably the most BTO option i've seen $1649... that's like 80% of the cheapest of the Mac Pro, more than 60% of the stock mac pro

Comment

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Rumors like this always make me chuckle and think...

What the heck was Steve talking about- "The Year of HD"?? I think we saw improved compatability with HDV cameras, and that's it.

Comment

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
That's not entirely true. I've read that Vivid, the biggest pr0n producer, supports Blu-Ray.

Vivid will support both.
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news/show/329

Digital Playground is HD DVD only right now and may support Blu-ray in the future. Wicked Pictures is HD DVD and may support Blu-ray.

LoopRumors however is grasping at straws. Apple has always been neutral in the HD format war. They are members of the DVD Forum and Blu-ray Board of Directors. They have rudimentary support for HD DVD in DVD Studio Pro 4 and will likely add improved HD DVD authoring and Blu-ray authoring to DVD SP 5 at NAB.

Burners are available from both companies although Blu-ray has more as the format was conceived as a recording medium first.

Comment

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Just Give me Both Formats

I just want Apple to support both formats, or give us the option to choose which burner to use. I would pay the $1000+ bucks for the LG and burn and read both formats, but some may just want to use the one format.

OR

Can we have the option of putting one of each in the machine. There is no reason to have to choose between the formats. The war is over and it is a draw. :D

Comment

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
The story should read "blue-laser burner option," as high definition content may be burned onto red-laser DVDRs.

As others have astutely pointed out, Apple supports both Blu-Ray and HD DVD.

Macs are huge in content creation. Apple choosing one over the other would ignore a significant chunk of the content creator market. It would be disastrous if Apple were to do the wrong thing and favor one over the other.

Comment

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
I only see this as a potential BTO option at present. Granted Apple would receive bulk discounts for mass purchases, the price to the consumer would still be roughly $500 for BTO. This, along with Quad core processor increases, is too exspensive for a stock model. We're talking well over $2500.

If it'll be included, it'll be a BTO. I'd bet money on it.

-Clive

Comment

Clive At Five

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2004
St. Paul, MN
What do you think the drive will cost alone, I mean for us MP owners who wish to upgrade to a full HD drive?

To the best of my knowledge, there's only one so far... it's external and it costs over $1000.

Sometimes it sucks to be a Mac user... not that I have any real use for a Blu-Ray drive.

-Clive

Comment

ATG

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2005
To the best of my knowledge, there's only one so far... it's external and it costs over $1000.
Yes there is one that is about $1000 USD but it certainly isn't external.

Here's the pioneer

Comment

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Vivid will support both.
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/news/show/329

Digital Playground is HD DVD only right now and may support Blu-ray in the future. Wicked Pictures is HD DVD and may support Blu-ray.

Someone's done their research. ;)

I did hear about a year back that the industry seemed to be swaying towards WMV HD, I guess that would be for internet delivery though. It does rule us Mac users out though, unless we use Flip 4 Mac. Which they then may need to rename. :rolleyes:

Keeping with that though, since I see the pr0n industry going more and more down to VOD content online, perhaps whether they support HD DVD or Blu-Ray, (who was of course the original pr0n star), will turn out to be less relevant than in the past. Maybe this war will come down to mainstream movies and the PS3 stealth factor too. If Apple, Sony, Panasonic, Dell and most major studios continue to support Blu-ray exclusively and those who previously supported HD DVD alone continue to support both, I think we will have our winner.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.