iPhone 8(+) Headphone Jack

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by midwestfisherma, Apr 23, 2018.

1. midwestfisherma macrumors 6502

midwestfisherma

Just upgraded from a 6S to an 8+. At the risk of beating a dead horse.....damn I miss the headphone jack!

2. Ffosse macrumors 68000

I don't - there's something aesthetically displeasing about seeing a tangled cord between the head/earphones and the device.

It means I can get up and walk around, even leave the room without touching my iPhone yet still listen to music.

3. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

4. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

Dear God, why?

Do yourself a favor and buy a pair of cheap wireless headphones, use them for a week, and then report how you feel.

5. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Well…all I can say is that it's nice to leave my phone on my desk paired to a BT headset and be able to get up and leave my desk while doing my job without having to carry my phone around with me.

Plus I can control the playback from the BT headset.

I have no nostalgia for cords.

6. m0sher, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018

m0sher macrumors 6502

m0sher

https://giphy.com/gifs/week-media-person-RL0xU1daTlMoE

[​IMG]

Buy a pair of Beats X and call it a day.

If you’re an audiophile and have amazing earbuds, then just use the dongle and you’ll have to deal with it.

Beats X are about $50 to much IMO but they work very well.

Yeah it’s been discussed quite often and a change that some people take time to get used to .

7. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It’s not that you were just beating a dead horse. You were locating where it’s buried, digging it up, reanimating the corpse, and then beating it to death again.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

Buy a pair of Bose QC35's. You'll forget all about the silly wired headphones you used to use in the dark ages.
    Put them in a drawer with your floppy discs, tapes and camera film.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Somewhat related: I would recommend the Airpods. Amazing product that pairs seamlessly, decent audio and the battery life is stellar. 15 minutes of charging is equivalent to three hours of usage. I use them regularly for fitness.

10. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

Once you embrace BT headphones and wireless charging you won't miss it anymore.

11. Mrbobb macrumors 601

And the carcass is been calcified.

12. Black05Hemi macrumors regular

BT headphones will never sound as good either...

13. Relentless Power, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

No, they won’t. But unless someone is not a true audiophile, I don’t think most consumers care about the sound. But wireless does serve the convenience in which I think the consumer is willing to make the trade off for without the freedom of wires and Bluetooth sound has improved over the years. As an owner of the AirPods, I can honestly say that I’m fairly impressed with the audio the AirPods, even though they are not wired quality, they still suffice given the excellent Battery life as well.

14. anitak1982 macrumors 6502

anitak1982

I have a pair and two blue tooth headsets and still miss the jack. I still think it is silly they took it away

15. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

after I bought airpods I was completely off the headphone jack bandwagon even gave my adapter away.

16. thisismyusername macrumors 6502

Why would I trade two pairs of wired, audiophile quality headphones for cheap wireless ones? Wireless is overrated.

17. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I hear what you're saying, but on the exact same context so is wired (3.5mm). You see the technology used in this common audio jack was created in 1876. Yes, back in the 19th century. Also, its analog. I'm not positive, but I think most of the wireless bluetooth are digital. If someone truly wishes for a wired connection, there are lightning earbuds available as well. So, there are very many options available to every person. At this point with this knowledge it seems like people are just wishing to complain. I'm no audiophile, but if I were I'm pretty sure I would realize the audio quality from a tiny hand held device would be limited as compared to component based solutions and I would adjust my expectations accordingly.
    But everyone is different and have different opinions. Which is a great thing.

18. AlphaGuitarist macrumors 6502a

AlphaGuitarist

I have a pair of Shure SE425 audiophile-quality earbuds that, unfortunately, have been collecting dust since I decided to go the Bluetooth route. I've been using the Powerbeats 3 buds, which, for all intents and purposes, are fairly decent. Last week, I found out that Shure released a Bluetooth cable for their earbuds (most high end earbuds I've come across have removable cables), so I decided to drop the $100 and check it out. The sound is incredible - in fact, I couldn't tell the difference between the wired and Bluetooth version in a side by side test. The Powerbeats 3 will now be relegated exclusively to gym use.

If you own audiophile headphones with removable cables, I highly recommend investing in a Bluetooth cable (there are many different brands available) and experiencing the wireless convenience while enjoying the sound quality.

19. 960design macrumors 68030

Been headphone jackless for a couple of years. Updated all my headphones to BlueTooth and have been very happy.

Walkarounds:
    Apple Beats X

Office:
    Sennheiser PXC 550

Both sound great and have fantastic battery life. All day for beats, two days and more for the PXC 550s.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 24, 2018 ---
    This is very true to those that have music as their passion. Me, I'm a computer guy. I don't have the skills/ears to notice quality changes between BT and wired.

There are car people, sound people, drone people, dog people, politicians, ect. For me the convenience of not having to fight with a cable wrapping around my hands/elbows while typing is an extraordinarily nice option.

20. adamhenry macrumors 68000

adamhenry

I am willing to sacrifice the imperceptible(to me) difference in sound for the convenience of wireless.

21. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Can’t think of anything worse than having to use wired headphones anymore..

22. Raist3001 macrumors 65816

Raist3001

Is that only because apple removed the headphone jack?

23. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

No I’ve always disliked them certainly in the gym all they do is get in the way. Being pushed away from wired headphones was one of the best things apple have done for me personally. Didn’t realise how great wireless headphones are and how convenient they are for everyday use.

24. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Which could have been done even with the headphone jack still being there.

25. ra4oasis macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

Once you go wireless, you'll never look back. I use AirPods, and LOVE them.