Heart Rate Dips?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by maka344, Apr 4, 2017.

1. maka344, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017

maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

I have noticed that my heart rate (according to my AW) will sometimes dip to as low as 53 during the day while at rest. My average is around 74-76bpm.

I am average weight, don't smoke and get average exercise.

Do you see similar dips or is my AW faulty?

2. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

The heart rate reading is likely not faulty. It gives inaccurate readings at times, as it does with mine as well. It can be dependent on the tightness of the band and placement of the sensor.

But it seems as after this latest update, some forum members are reporting issues with inaccurate readings.

3. maka344 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maka344

I am using the Link band and it's not as tight as the loop or rubber straps can be.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

That could be part of the issue. The link band won't secure to your wrist as tight as the Flueroastamer bands do. I own the link bands and They do not provide as accurate of a reading when compared to wearing the Sport bands. Try a Sport band and see if this makes a difference.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You must be
    You will find the HR feature to be less than dependable.

6. maka344 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maka344

I think you are right. The problem is, it's making me think that there's a problem with my heart rate.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I suspect your heart rate is just fine.

I have owned three Apple watches and all will drop the HR. I can be running with my HR in the 160 range and all of a sudden it will say "measuring" or worst it will show 42bpm! :mad::mad::mad:

If serious about tracking your HR during exercise, you will need to get a BT chest strap.:)

8. tl01 macrumors 68000

Mine dips down at times...usually it is missing half the beats for that time. For example...if I am really at 75...it will read 50. If I take the lower number and multiply it by .50 I usually get where the watch will bounce back to again. I have worn many real heart monitors and never had this issue show up there. I exercise and have never smoked...and if I check my own pulse..the watch is just off by 50 percent.

9. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Help me understanding your match. Linearly ½ of 75 is 37.5 (75/2=37.5) and multiplying by .5 is 18.75 (37.5x0.5=18.75).

10. tl01 macrumors 68000

Yes...if you use the top number it would be more like that..and so I stated it incorrectly. It usually is 50 percent higher than the number it reads.. I will be more careful...and not post in the middle of the night next time.

11. maka344 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maka344

This is still an issue for me. With the Link Band, I'm getting dips of 45bpm when at rest. This happens only once or twice a day.

12. BenAigen macrumors regular

BenAigen

@maka344 If this is still a concern - get checked out at the docs to get accurate readings.

All the Best

Ben

13. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

If you life a healthy live the reading seems to be correct. You can have a resting heart rate that low during your day. While sleeping my Heart Rate gets even lower.

14. Julien, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017

Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Only well conditioned athletes have resting HR's in the mid to low 40s (excluding people with a medical condition like bradycardia). And this is usually only obtained in bed or with some type of meditative rest and NOT during 'normal' day rest. So it is extremely unlikely the OP's HR is actually at 45bpm unless they are well conditioned athlete or have a medical condition.

So which is more likely:
    • The OP is a well conditioned athlete but doesn't know it?
    • The know to be inaccurate non medical optical sensor is giving a false or inaccurate reading?

15. maka344 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maka344

This is my understanding. I'm no athlete, and I've had a recent check up by a cardiologist who gave me the all clear.

These are odd drops, for example, it will show 48bpm and then 75bpm ten minutes later. I don't feel any symptoms like dizziness. Some days, I don't get the low readings at all.

16. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Again, it's not that odd since it's not a medical device. Even strap based HR sensors give false reading and optical is FAR less accurate. Just the other day I started a run and my Gamin had my HR at about 200bpm when it was actually around 150bpm.

17. tl01 macrumors 68000

If you think your heart is fine...then assume it is just a slightly inaccurate device. Like others have said, it isn't a medical device. If you want to know more about your heart rate then go to the doc and wear a monitor for a week. Even those can have some interference though when you move around though.

I said before that my watch does this and if I take my pulse at the same time I see it on the screen, the watch is not accurate. Then the watch bounces back to where it should be within a few seconds. I don't think Apple intends for any of us to monitor our heart health with the watch. The heart rate monitor is just providing some basic info so the apps can better calculate your movement and activity levels etc.

18. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Just remember that it also only take 15 seconds for you top count your OWN pulse to verify if you have any doubts.

19. tl01 macrumors 68000

And if you are at all experienced with taking a pulse, you can feel the difference between 45 and 75 almost immediatley. Of course you don't have a full count for verification in 5 second but I can tell
    About where my pulse is affer 5 seconds to see if it jives with my watch.

20. Volusia macrumors 6502

Volusia

If you happen to see that reading take your pulse manually and see how close it is. I know mine will "half" my heart rate when I am experiencing premature ventricular contractions, but I have a heart condition and experience them routinely (BTW not usually a problem, but can be annoying).

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I use the sports band and a looped band. I have not had issues with the HR monitor on the watch, except when water gets in the way.

I have tested the watch against a medical heart rate monitor and the results are very on par (1 or 2 bpms off). My advice would be to ensure the watch is secured to your wrist. This is imperative as the watch uses light, not an electric sensor to read heart rate.

22. maka344 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maka344

Interesting. Thank you for your reply. Sorry to hear about your heart condition.

I suffer from Benign palpitations however, not enough for the watch to pick them up really. I've tried feeling my pulse but because it's a previous reading I don't notice. The slowest I've found it is 60bpm or so via checking myself. I've been to a cardiologist who said I have a normal heart.

I've attached some readings, if you look at my HR around 5:45 it drops to 56bpm and goes back up to 78bpm.

Attached Files:

23. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I question the accuracy of the AW sensor here. If in doubt you can purchase a chest strap sensor that is much more accurate.

24. maka344 thread starter macrumors 6502a

maka344

Thanks buddy, I think you are right. The AW just doesn't seem reliable. A friend of mine had his drop to 43bpm during his commute home then spring:

22/03/2017 18:39 - 79 - resting
    22/03/2017 18:45 - 43 - low
    22/03/2017 18:47 - 74 - resting