iPhone XR Help adjusting to a larger phone :)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by James Nighthawk, Nov 1, 2018.

1. James Nighthawk macrumors newbie

James Nighthawk

Hey forumites :)

I have just joined the XR owners club. I upgraded from a iPhone 6

I am generally very happy. But oddly, my wrists seem not to be! After only two days of use, they feel sore. It could be coincidence, but I feel it is more likely the phone.

Questions -

(1) Do I need to adjust the way I "hold" the phone? I have always held my 6 low down in my left hand, with my pinky finger as a "brace" along the bottom. Is this a bad idea with a larger phone? I always enter text two handed, btw.

(2) Is this something that simply "goes away" after a while, as my hands/wrists adjust to different muscle usage?

(3) Oddly, even though I use my left hand to take most of the weight, both my wrists are a little sore? Perhaps the stretching across a larger screen is the issue, and again, something I simply need to acclimatise to?

For what it is worth, I have fairly large hands (I'm 6'2). The weight of the phone doesn't bother me, even though it is substantially more. I feel perhaps the change in width and weight distribution of the device means it puts a different strain on my wrists?

I am very happy with the device, usage, screen etc so would hate this to be an ongoing issue!
    Thanks in advance for tips and anecdotes from others who have gone through this adjustment period :)

Also - Apologies if this question has been answered elsewhere - my searches came up dry

JNx

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

It will only take a few days and you should get used to your larger phone. You will adapt.

3. Otflyer macrumors 6502a

Otflyer

Your hand may be sore because, it’s a new phone and your using it more initially. I would imagine you will get used to it.

4. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I have a XS max and I hold my phone the same way you’ve been holding your 6.

You should be able to continue holding it the same way, but it’ll take some time to adjust. It’ll never be as comfortable as the smaller 6 but you get used to the “new normal”.

5. gurase macrumors 6502

I think you’ll get used to it, but I’ve also found a pop socket helps.

6. now i see it macrumors 68040

7. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

8. kawalerzysta macrumors regular

kawalerzysta

Just use it. That the best way to adjust to it. In few days you should be used to it.