Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noobrex

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2011
I got billed USD 45.33 for downloading Facebook app from itunes store.

Have written to the itunes support 4 times and there has been no response from them.

Tried to contact the support in Apple support india but they could not help. they said they cant do anything, all you (I) can do is to wait if they respond back to you. They were also not ready to give me a phone number or e-mail to anyone incharge whom i cant talk to or escalate the issue.

Can anyone help me on this 45 USD is too much for me :(

1 -Created account with itunes
2- Entered all credit card information
3- Downloaded facebook application (which is free from itunes)
4- Got charged 45.33 USD (got a message from my bank that itunes charged this amount)

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android 2.3.4; Linux; Opera Mobi/ADR-1105231029; U; en) Presto/2.7.81 Version/11.00)

The first thing you should do is check your purchase history in iTunes to see what you were actually charged for if you haven't already.

HTTP://support.apple.com/kb/HT2727

I doubt it is the Facebook app so if there is anything odd, question it!

Good luck.

noobrex

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android 2.3.4; Linux; Opera Mobi/ADR-1105231029; U; en) Presto/2.7.81 Version/11.00)

The first thing you should do is check your purchase history in iTunes to see what you were actually charged for if you haven't already.

HTTP://support.apple.com/kb/HT2727

I doubt it is the Facebook app so if there is anything odd, question it!

Good luck.

sorry i forgot to include that information, I did check the iTunes purchase history and it shows Facebook and shows its free. Please suggest where else should i try to get a resolution for above

noobrex

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2011
How long has it been since you contacted iTunes support?

Its been over 72 hours since I sent them an e-mail. I then contacted the india support center. They told me to wait and send there is nothing else you(I) can do.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
I don't know if iTunes support is based entirely out of the US, but if it is, the last two days were a weekend and today is a holiday.

Hopefully you will hear back soon.

Unless things are substantially different where you are, if you feel the charge was incorrect you should be able to contact your credit card company or bank to dispute the charge, I would give Apple a little more time to respond first though.

noobrex

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2011
I don't know if iTunes support is based entirely out of the US, but if it is, the last two days were a weekend and today is a holiday.

Hopefully you will hear back soon.

Unless things are substantially different where you are, if you feel the charge was incorrect you should be able to contact your credit card company or bank to dispute the charge, I would give Apple a little more time to respond first though.

Think I will wait for another 48 hours and see if they respond back otherwise going to get in touch with my bank.

noobrex

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2011
This has actually made my experience bad, of buying the iphone 4 :( feels so bad. Would also request if anyone could provide me any number that i can call or any other email where i can escalate this issue.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm feeling like you won't get a response until after the holiday. I believe there is also an iTunes Help Chat through Apple.com

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Doubt it was the Facebook app you got charged for.

Sure you haven't bought a movie, or a couple of albums and just forgot? The money isn't taken from your account instantly.

Check through your iTunes billing history and see if there's a couple of items that you've bought in the past week that could add up to that amount.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
1. you don't need a credit card with iTunes, use iTunes cards instead to top up your account when you need it.
2. Apple is very good about this sort of problem.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
While Credit Card fraud sounds scary, they do have their advantages...protection.

Call your credit card company, and tell about the bogus charge. They will stop payment on it and give your money back. Even if they've paid it, they will give your money back. Next, request a new credit card with a completely different number.

Then wait to see if Apple complains about not receiving any money from you. If you've only purchased FaceBook (free), then nothing should come of it. If they do, explain they charged a bogus fee and you tried to correct the issue. I suspect however, this charge is not coming from Apple.

Then create a new AppleID (since this was your first purchase) and start all over with a new credit card number.

JASApplications

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2010
Scarborough, United Kingdom
I got billed USD 45.33 for downloading Facebook app from itunes store.

Have written to the itunes support 4 times and there has been no response from them.

Tried to contact the support in Apple support india but they could not help. they said they cant do anything, all you (I) can do is to wait if they respond back to you. They were also not ready to give me a phone number or e-mail to anyone incharge whom i cant talk to or escalate the issue.

Can anyone help me on this 45 USD is too much for me :(

1 -Created account with itunes
2- Entered all credit card information
3- Downloaded facebook application (which is free from itunes)
4- Got charged 45.33 USD (got a message from my bank that itunes charged this amount)
Unlucky. Sure you haven't downloaded any albums/movies etc that you can't remember about?

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Its been over 72 hours since I sent them an e-mail. I then contacted the india support center. They told me to wait and send there is nothing else you(I) can do.

Sounds like the India support center isn't particularly interested in helping you. I would have expected that from Dell or HP, but not from Apple.

noobrex

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm feeling like you won't get a response until after the holiday. I believe there is also an iTunes Help Chat through Apple.com

I did try the chat support but its not for iTunes its for meego and they also said the same thing that you will have to wait for them to respond on e-mail there is no other way to get in touch with itunes support.

noobrex

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Doubt it was the Facebook app you got charged for.

Sure you haven't bought a movie, or a couple of albums and just forgot? The money isn't taken from your account instantly.

Check through your iTunes billing history and see if there's a couple of items that you've bought in the past week that could add up to that amount.

I checked the history for last 90 days and it only shows that i bought Facebook and i know for sure i did not buy anything else. I received the message from the bank about an hour after i downloaded the facebook app.

noobrex

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2011
1. you don't need a credit card with iTunes, use iTunes cards instead to top up your account when you need it.
2. Apple is very good about this sort of problem.

1. Where can i buy the apple itunes card can you please provide me the link.
2. I sure hoped so everyone i know had a good experience with Apple. Lets hope they resolve my issue as well.

noobrex

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Sounds like the India support center isn't particularly interested in helping you. I would have expected that from Dell or HP, but not from Apple.

Dont know where to go now... think i have kinda lost my money :(

noobrex

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2011
While Credit Card fraud sounds scary, they do have their advantages...protection.

Call your credit card company, and tell about the bogus charge. They will stop payment on it and give your money back. Even if they've paid it, they will give your money back. Next, request a new credit card with a completely different number.

Then wait to see if Apple complains about not receiving any money from you. If you've only purchased FaceBook (free), then nothing should come of it. If they do, explain they charged a bogus fee and you tried to correct the issue. I suspect however, this charge is not coming from Apple.

Then create a new AppleID (since this was your first purchase) and start all over with a new credit card number.

I think i am going to do that today, and would wait for them to revert back. I never imagined such problem with Apple. Lets hope they fix things.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
I checked the history for last 90 days and it only shows that i bought Facebook and i know for sure i did not buy anything else. I received the message from the bank about an hour after i downloaded the facebook app.

This makes no sense at all.

But try to contact your credit card company and explain to them the issue. I'm sure everything will work itself out.
But what does your iTunes Bill say? Are you sure you just purchased Facebook? Maybe it's just credit card fraud then.

noobrex

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2011
This makes no sense at all.

But try to contact your credit card company and explain to them the issue. I'm sure everything will work itself out.
But what does your iTunes Bill say? Are you sure you just purchased Facebook? Maybe it's just credit card fraud then.

it says that I have purchased Facebook app Price Free. Also i did not recieve any email invoice for this amount even that sounds strage. i think i read somewhere that Apple does send an invoice for all the purchases even free purchases

Last edited:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Ok, then you don't need to bring up Facebook when you do talk to Apple. There is NO WAY it would have happened that fast if that was the reason.

Whatever the problem is, it likely happened the day before you learned about it. (If not even longer.) So it's just a coincidence that you downloaded Facebook the hour before you learned about this mistake.

So you still need to get this mistake fixed, but I'm 100% convinced it has nothing to do with Facebook. You never get charged for an app 1 hour after you download it. It's usually a few days later.

So unless you see this e-mail within the next week, I don't think the problem is because of an app you downloaded:

itunes.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.