Help beta test new Facebook reader app

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by mrl72, Feb 19, 2011.

1. mrl72, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011

mrl72 macrumors regular

** Beta testing now closed **
    Stay up to date with my app store progress and get a free promo code by friending me here

Hey all

I've developed a new facebook reader app and I'm looking for anyone to try it out and give some feedback. The app kinda looks like pulse but is just for Facebook. More info here (note app has since been renamed to Frienatic).

Frienatic iPad App. You will need both an iPad (4.0) and Facebook account in order to try it out.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Video: http://www.vimeo.com/21201373

Any help appreciated!

Cheers.

2. cainnovacaine macrumors regular

cainnovacaine

3. JLB-UK macrumors regular

Cool, I have signed up to the test team, looking forward to trying it out!

Will post feedback once I have had a go!

4. cainnovacaine macrumors regular

cainnovacaine

I like it, but a dedicated back button seems necissary. I tried clicking on an image after reading an update, and that took me back instead. I didn't think that was intuitive.

5. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

6. JLB-UK macrumors regular

I have registered by iPad with TestFlight so when you get a chance if you can build me a app I will give it a run and get you some feedback

7. mrl72 thread starter macrumors regular

Just sent you an update. For some reason I had your iPhone UDID in there instead of your iPad, sorry for the wait!

8. JLB-UK macrumors regular

No problem! Thanks for that. Installed and testing now.

First impressions are good, very easy to use. I have to agree with the earlier post that there needs to be a back button when you look at the comments/likes etc as it is not very intuitive to click on the icon in the bottom bar. It is a plus that when you click on the icon in the bottom bar that it does take you back to the page you were browsing rather than the first page.

I did experience a crash of the app once I logged in and retrieved the facebook data. I am an developer so I will retrieve the console logs for you later and send them to you.

Will report back more after further testing :)

9. mrl72 thread starter macrumors regular

AH, cool you got it installed. I'm kinda new to this TestFlight thing!

In response to the back button, to go back you tap your friend's image in the top left/right as it is the same image you tapped to get into the comments screen. There should be an alert tip that pops up the first time you use the app that tells you to tap the image to go back. Let me know if that didn't show up. I did it this way becuase I felt it was consistent with the overall UI, ie tapping the images to view the details and then tapping the same image to go back. I will look into a different way to navigate, maybe I just need a better way to alert the user to how to go back..

In regards to crashing there does seem to be some memory issues, especially with the webview, so I'm actively looking into it.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Much appreciated!!

10. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

Is there no chance of this coming out on iPhone? :eek:

11. mrl72 thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, as soon as bugs are ironed out I'm going to start converting it to the iPhone so it should be out a few weeks after the iPad version.

12. jameszc macrumors newbie

wow this looks great, i've been waiting for a good facebook app for ipad for a long time now. Just signed up for the beta so if you get time to submit a build i will give you some feedback.

13. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

Awesome!

14. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

universal or 2 separate apps?
    (BTW your app looks gorgeous!)

15. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

16. JLB-UK macrumors regular

The new build you have posted worked much better. No crash the first time the data was loaded and the pop up tip was present :)

Im about to email you the crash report regarding the memory now

JLB

17. mrl72 thread starter macrumors regular

I think TestFlight was down, should be ok now.

Thanks JLB! Its likely that the viewing of websites in the webview (links in news feed screen) are the culprit. Looks like UIWebView is not releasing memory when it should and therefore just climbs and climbs until it crashes the app. I think I'm going to re-write this screen and do away with the view in app option and instead use something like Readability to extract the text and bring it into the app just like Flipboard does. Of course this means some overhead on my part, like a server or two to process these requests, scaling is a worry especially if there are thousands of users..

For those who signed up and waiting on the beta test list there should be another build out later today once I've addressed some memory and performance issues.

Cheers.

18. JLB-UK macrumors regular

No problem. I sent an email using the contact page on the slidebook website requesting the suitable email address to send the attachment :)

Makes sense, memory is fairly low on the iPad so it could quickly become too much and crash! Scalability is certainly a big issue if there are thousands of users which leads to slow performance of data etc.

Looking forward to the new version later today with the improvements. Will let you know issues etc

JLB

19. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

Ok MRI, I have registered now if you want to send me on the beta

20. cainnovacaine macrumors regular

cainnovacaine

New build is more stable. No pop up for back-from-picture. Checking an individual status, there is a lot of unused room at the left side of the screen under the picture. Could be put to use... Maybe past statices, info, pictures, etc.

21. mrl72, Feb 23, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011

mrl72 thread starter macrumors regular

New build sent out to testers. I've incorporated a new news reader which brings in the news item from any links in your news feed rather then viewing them in a webview (which sucks memory like no tomorrow). You still have the option to view externally in Safari.

Screenshot:

[​IMG]

To those waiting to test please bear with me, I had updated my company info on Apple's member center and now my account is stuck "waiting for approval", whatever that means, but what they didn't tell me was the provisioning portal is disabled until approved. I have been on the phone with Apple since yesterday trying to get this sorted out. As soon as my account returns to normal I'll get you on the provisioning list ASAP.

Cheers.

22. mrl72 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, yeah normally it brings in pics but if your friend hasn't posted any in awhile you get nada. I'll look into bringing some different info. Any recommendations for what you'd like to see there?

23. mikechan1234 macrumors 6502

Am enjoying using the app :) although, it feels kind of slow sliding to other pages whilst reading status updates or news feeds.

24. mrl72 thread starter macrumors regular

Cool! That makes two of us!:p I'm addressing the slow swiping now, it really shouldn't be that slow considering there's not that many images to go through. Incidentally how many pages on each screen do you have? Maybe the more friends you have the slower it becomes. I only have about 100 friends so would be interesting to know performance if you have a ton of friends.

Cheers.

25. mrl72 thread starter macrumors regular

Mike - I just released a new build that addresses these issues. Let me know if you think it's better.

Cheers.