Help: Bought new 15in MBP got old 2.66 C2D instead

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by treitmaier, Apr 16, 2010.

1. treitmaier macrumors newbie

When I went to the Apple Store in Atlanta yesterday the staff told me that they were selling the new macbook pros with seamless graphics switching. However, after using the notebook I bought there for a while I noticed that it's an old C2D 2.66. Can I get a refund or will they exchange the laptop for the new model. I have already thrown away the box.

Thanks!

-Thomas

2. treitmaier thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Jarcrew macrumors 6502

Jarcrew

4. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

You just bought it yesterday and you have already tossed the box????

Come on, why would you toss the box on a brand new laptop?

Reguardless, if you opened the box or just broke the seal you will have to pay a restocking fee unless you can show on the receipt where you paid for the latest but got the older computer. It is your responsibility to look at the specs before you open the box

5. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

1. You should go to the same store.
    2. You should keep the box, it's a nice object! :)
    3. Even without the box, they should either give you a new computer or issue a full refund.
    4. If they don't do that, ask a written evidence of their refusal, stating your side of the story and tell them that you'll seek consumer advice.
    5. If it comes to that, call some legitimate consumer advice line, there should be some in the US too.
    6. Enjoy your new computer!

6. treitmaier thread starter macrumors newbie

I tossed the box, because I had to fly to Washington with only carry-on items.

7. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

Go to the store. No box might cause problems.

8. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

In your excitement to make any big purchase, stop, take a breath, and make sure you know what you are buying. Caveat emptor.

9. treitmaier thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the responses!

But that's the thing, I called to ask if they were selling the new MBP released on tuesday. And at the store I asked the salesman again. I didn't check myself whether the item was actually the one they claimed it to be. But I do feel like I was treated unfairly and that they misrepresented their product.

Thomas

10. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

You would need to go back to the original store and see the original salesperson who you think misled you.:rolleyes:

The store where you are at is just going to hear your story and see a MBP with no box! How do YOU think they will react?:confused:

11. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

What does the receipt say that you purchased?

12. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Sounds like the salesman may have grabbed the wrong computer when he went to get stock from the back. Im assuming you wanted the i7 2.66 ?

I think without the box you will have a hard time returning it, but I think your reciept should show the serial number of the computer to prove you bought it when you say you should, so this may help in setting things straight.

When a new computers are released whats Apples policy on the old ones? Are they cleared out of stock right away?

13. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

I would say the receipt HAS to say what he got as they do a bar code scan right off the box. It is sad but they just sold him an older computer and he failed to detect it. I think they may swap out but will charge a restocking fee.

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I making some assumptions here so feel free to correct if wrong...

By the fact you tossed the box b/c of baggage limitations I'm assuming you are visiting from another country -- otherwise you would have left the box at home in Atl or waited until you got to your home city to buy.

If you remember the person that helped you -- might be on the reciept if same person checked you out -- call them up and explain the situation and that you are now in DC. Tell him you don't have the box and why and that you'd like to exchange your machine in DC for the model you requested in Atl. The closest Apple Stores in DC are Pentagon City & Clarendon. Both are on the Metro.

Ask him if he or his manager can make the arrangements and let you know when you can make the swap. If he won't help then ask for the manager & repeat above.

15. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Despite your use of a legal term here, you are wrong. It was a 'mistake' - a concept that American law recognises.

16. mm1250 macrumors 6502

DO let us know how it turns out.

My opinion is since they told you they sold you a new model but accidentally gave you an old one, they should honer a clean exchange, open boxed or not. It's quite simple. Most of the fault lies on Apple Store.

17. Zaqfalcon macrumors 6502

I don't mean to be patronising but the new i7 is 2.66; are you sure it is the C2D?

18. treitmaier thread starter macrumors newbie

Again thanks for the responses.

I do live abroad, so that is why i tossed the box. I don't want to pay import taxes, so without a box I can at least try and convince customs that I had the notebook for a long time.

So what the Apple Store did, was base their sales pitch around the entry level 15in i5 Macbook Pro. They mentioned the better battery life and graphics switching without needing to log out. However, they then sold me a "higher end" 15 MBP (2.66 C2D, 4 GB RAM. NVIDIA GeForce GT. 320GB HD. Firewire) from the previous iteration (06/2009). They also sold it for the price of the new entry level 15in MBP $1799, instead of the old entry level price $1699 or the price of the older "higher end" c2d 2.66 machine $1999.

I'll let you know how things go at the apple store later on today.

-Thomas

19. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

If, as said before, they scanned the box UPC code, his receipt will show he paid for what he got. It then becomes a he said/they said. The store made a mistake, but the OP made a mistake in not double checking. If they are good-hearted, they will excahnge it. Otherwise, he may be stuck with the restocking fee.

OBTW, caveat emptor is part of the common vernacular, and while Latin, is not solely a legal term.

20. treitmaier thread starter macrumors newbie

I completely agree that I was wrong in not double-checking what I purchased. And yes the receipt says that I purchased what I purchased a 2.66ghz macbook pro. But I can't help but question the tactics that Apple uses. I would like to consider myself reasonable tech-savy and that's why I caught my/their mistake. But think about how many people won't realize that the brand new computer they just bought is 300days old and then wonder why the battery life is less than 10 hours.

21. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I'm old and cynical, but the better side of me hopes it was an honest mistake by the "genius" you were dealing with. I don't think there is a corporate plan to dump old product on unsuspecting consumers. If anything, Apple has (based on several threads on MacRumors) been upfront with consumers and often upgraded orders online at time of new products.

22. SteveSparks macrumors 6502a

SteveSparks

When you were paying for the item you did not notice that the price seemed lower than expected?

Did you think you were getting a special deal?

When I make a $2000 purchase, I usually have a good idea of the final price...

23. treitmaier thread starter macrumors newbie

I found the price to be as expected at $1799. I did not realize that the baseline 15in MBP has a 2.4 Ghz and not 2.66 Ghz.

24. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

In the sales persons defense, it didn't help that Apple made the boxes 100% identical except for the fine print sticker.

However, the first thing I did when they brought my box out was verify the fine print sticker. Guess I'm just anal like that. :D

25. SteveSparks macrumors 6502a

SteveSparks

So they charged you $1799 for the C2D version.. hmm

From what I recall, the prices were

2199 <- no 100% sure about this number...

Did the older version have a price drop which allowed the confusion to happen?